Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

An excellent hostel, with a really helpful staff. They organize great tours in the Gobi desert, with an excellent value for money. The familial atmosphere and the common room, always comfy and full of travelers, is a major added value if you have to stay a while in UB for the Chinese or Russian visa. It's also really close to a lot of cheap restaurants (Mongolian fast-food on the corner of the department store, or the ramen place in Peace Av on the right).

Amazing place, and amazing staff working there. You feel at home. Cozy atmosphere, free coffee and tea the whole day and nice breakfast every morning. The trips they arrange are great! I had the best time ever........looking forward to going back.......

• 6th Nov 2014
  • Spain

It's a friendly place very confortable ! The breakfast is amazing and all the members of the familly are very nice. We have done a tour for one week: it was a fantastic trip in the mongolian steppe ! We will never forget it. Read our aventure on acworldtour.com !

• 30th Oct 2014

Right from the first day this family run hostel made me feel right at home. The hostel is a perfect spot to meet other travellers and I was able to quickly organise a tour to Olgii for the golden eagle festival. The co-owner Ogie had good knowledge of the areas we wanted to make a tour to and our driver Amra was amazing. The “roads” in Mongolia provide tough driving conditions and I always felt safe and comfortable with Amra behind the wheel. This was an unforgettable experience, Баярлалаа GG!

• 25th Oct 2014

The best hostel/guest house I have been to! Everything about this place is excellent from the free pickup at the train station, to the homely atmosphere and the excellent tours they offer. The owners are super relaxed and made all of us feel like we're part of their family. Free breakfast is great and everything is kept tidy and clean throughout the day. If you want to meet great and super interesting people and have a comfy place to stay, Golden Gobi is the place to be!

Brilliant place! Very friendly family that runs the place, and will help you out with any questions you have about travelling in Mongolia. I booked an 8 day tour to the Gobi Desert with them and it was a good trip, the guide and driver were excellent. The place is clean and very social, with a good mix of travellers. The location can't be beat with loads of good restaurants nearby, and the central square only 5 minutes walk away. I would definitely recommend staying here.

Excellent! Ogie and her family strive to give you the most comfortable and laidback stay. Tours can be arranged in any way you like, and they only care to make it as perfect as you want. Highly recommended when visiting Mongolia.

The whole staff were extremely helpful. They helped with train ticket collection and even helped us out with excursions that weren't even booked through them. On arrival, after being picked up on the 6:10am train, we were presented with hot coffee and breakfast. Our twin room was both clean and spacious. Say "Hello" to "Momma" when you get there. She and her whole family are terrific,. From Andrew and Peter ( Son & Father)

We stayed in Mongolia for 1 month. Golden Gobi became our base. Clean, cosy and welcomin with lovely beds! Brilliant wifi, Mammas breakfast and hot showers after a tour make it perfect!! On arrival Oogie sat with us and planned a tour, we shopped around and it was definitely best price and package. We LOVED our tour. Otgo(guide)and Uugan(driver)were so sweet and laid back. We had such fun with them n learned so much!Later did a driver only tour to the Gobi just with driver - a guides worth it!

• 24th Sep 2014

Beds not very comfy, i could feel the slats through the mattress, went on a 2 night/3day tour, which seemed a bit pricey but included everything and had a fantastic time

The staff came to pick up me at 6:30 am at teh railway station! Then they offers me free breakfast. The help me to choose the right tour for me. One thing, the beds are really hardly, my back was painful! Anyway best hostel in UB

I had a comfortable stay at a dorm room. The spacious common room was great for meeting people and getting travel information. Breakfast was good - bread with egg, jam, and chocolate spread in all-you-can-eat style, served with tea or coffee. The best part of this hostel is the location - only 1 min walk from the Nomin department store. It would have been great if the wifi was available 24 hours instead of 7-23. I would stay here again.

We were doing the Trans Siberian train from Beijing+booked everything at the last moment. We had no clue where to go once we arrived in UB but they picked us up from the train station! We would've been lost. It's an awesome family-owned hostel directly in the center of UB. Everybody speaks perfect English. Make sure you speak to Bob of any tours. We had an 8-day trip in the Gobi. UNBELIEVABLE. Perfectly organized. The hostel is CLEAN+mama is great! Request Ziggy as a driver+tour guide Baiysa!

We made a booking with this hostel through hostelworld and had organised airport transfer. Airport transfer never came. Upon arrival we were told there s no room for us. The staff refused to put us in another room for the same price. and made us pay a higher price for an inferior room. Staff were rude and spoke very little english. afterwards we spoke to other travellers who had similar experience with the same hostel.

The airport transfer was never confirmed by us as we didn't hear back any response from you with arrival details after sending the cost of the transfer fee. When we send you the booking confirmation email we clearly stated that we will keep the booking until 6pm unless you give notice of your arrival time. Therefore,we gave you the available option. I would have appreciated for your honest review if you made a comment after checking your emails. Thanks for staying with us & wish you the best.

We stayed here twice - before and after a ger to ger trip. The hostel and its location are good and the pick-up from the train station was really nice. It's a good place to meet fellow travellers and socialise - but the social spaces were often too crowded and showers always busy. Nice brekkie. The main quibble I have with this hostel is that when my companion's camera was stolen from our dorm room, the receptionist was in denial this could happen in his hostel and showed poor social skills.

Dear Julia, Many thanks for staying with us. We have two common rooms for our guests to enjoy and it could get crowded due to peak season of August when you stayed. We try our best to remain clean and provide an excellent service to all of our guests. The FREE lockers are available during your stay and recommend to use it for your own security while staying in dorms. We might have given you such impression as we don't face such problems and sorry for any convenience. All the best! GG guesthouse

Really clean hostel, could not have wished for anything more. I got the impression that the staff (= the family) is cleaning constantly). Though toilet paper was missing a bit quite too often ;) Anyway, the only negative experiences I made were with other travelleres who for some unknown reason were always complaining about the hostel. I could not understand why; we were more than satisfied. It's also a great place to find other travellers for tours (hence sharing the costs).

As soon as we arrived at Golden Gobi hostel, a member of the staff offered us a cup of tea and a seat while we waited to be kindly assisted at the reception. We had a really nice room, a kitchen almost only for us and good advice on what to visit in Mongolia. Amazing hostel with amazing staff!

We stayed two nights at GG, before and after our 8days Khuvsgal lake tour. The hostel itself felt really busy, had to wait long before we could ask something from the staff. This is mostly because the tours they arrange, and I really think you should choose this hostel only if you are going to some tour yourself (and you really should). Tour itself was absolutely great, we had the best driver Bimba (with his amazing car) and two great young guides who made our week fun and easy. Would go again!

A place of reference in Ulanbataar; itis definetly crowded in August, but it gets much more "homey" in September. The facilies were more than good, with an excellent "lounge" with kitchen; though the common computers with access to the internet worked precariously. The staff are a bit eccentric, but on the good sense. They arranged us an excellent ger-to-ger; that indeed I recommend over the regular tours around Mongolia: The one I did was long, overprized and surprisingly monotonous.

We stayed at Golden Gobi for one night only, because we missed our train in Irkutsk. There was a pick up service at the train station for our arrival time, which was quite nice and also for free. Because of our early arrival (7 am) we had to wait for our room. During our waiting period the staff was really nice. They provided us with coffee, tea and breakfast. They had also a guide for getting around on several tours. It is definitely a good place to stay in Ulaanbaatar! We will come back.

« first « Prev 1 2 3