Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

It was brilliant hostel. Very welcoming and friendly. They organised tour for us and the tour is highly recommended. We both loved it very much. The driver and tour guide are also amazing. They treated us like their friends or family member. When we came back from tour, we paid for 6 mixed dorm but manager Bob gave us private room. We had a really good time in here.

Staff including tour guides introduced were all extremely helpful great people. Credit card reader never worked due to transaction failure. Bed frames were a bit shakey but acceptable. Awesome value for price.

• 1st Apr 2015
  • Japan

This hostel was great. They met us off the train and took us to the hostel, I've never had that service from a hostel before. Hostel was clean and breakfast was good, they also have a TV room and computers for public use. Location great as well. Perfect place to stay in UB :) TRANS-MON WARNING - UB felt safe to me, but I did get pickpocketed on the train leaving UB, 2 men boarded train pretending to be sharing our compartment, started moving our bags etc, took money from my coat, be vigilant!

I was in the hostel with a friend during one night. Then the staff was very helpful and organized a tour for the terelj national park for two days with a very well prepared guide! The hostel is also in a central location, near good restaurants/cafes and a place to exchange money. Lastly, we also had a transfer from the train station, which was very pleasant since not most people in the city are English speakers.

We had a fantastic stay at Golden Gobi in February of 2015. Bob was fantastic, organized a tour for us, helped us locate some camel and horse milk in town, and made us feel at home completely. Great breakfast too! Would would recommend this place to anyone!

• 10th Feb 2015

They offer free shuttles from/to railwaystation, they prepare breakfast every morning, they are very friendly and helpful. The tours what they organize are very good and not too expensive. Rooms are comfortable, showers could be better, but they are okay. Location is EXCELLENT. Be prepared that Ulan Bator is fuuul of pollutions! It's second polluted city in the world.. Hard to breath there and you can't get fresh air from the window.

Due to working in Mongolia we stayed in Golden Gobi more than once and its always nice coming back. They take good care of their guests and you won't find any better value-for-money hostel so close to the center of UB.

I really liked my stay at this hostel, The chilling room was really nice with movies, big flat tv

Mama was lovely. The old lady running the show. She wakes up anytime to welcome people and they pick you up from the train station for free. We spent Xmas here and had a lovely time cooking a huge meal to shareHowever in terms of tours they want you to choose them and will treat with high regard if so, if a little fake. We witnessed a girl ambushed by them unfairly after ahe returned from a trip. I'd stay in budget dorm and make your own trip in warm weather if you drive ! Good Internet too.

• 4th Jan 2015

Keep it up

A great place to stay! Right next to state department store, toom me a little to find it but once you it is perfectly located! Starf is very nice, attentative and does stop to offer you hot drinks. Breakfast excellent and filling. Wifi quick. Bathrooms clean and hot water running. It would always come back!

An excellent hostel, with a really helpful staff. They organize great tours in the Gobi desert, with an excellent value for money. The familial atmosphere and the common room, always comfy and full of travelers, is a major added value if you have to stay a while in UB for the Chinese or Russian visa. It's also really close to a lot of cheap restaurants (Mongolian fast-food on the corner of the department store, or the ramen place in Peace Av on the right).

Amazing place, and amazing staff working there. You feel at home. Cozy atmosphere, free coffee and tea the whole day and nice breakfast every morning. The trips they arrange are great! I had the best time ever........looking forward to going back.......

• 6th Nov 2014
  • Spain

It's a friendly place very confortable ! The breakfast is amazing and all the members of the familly are very nice. We have done a tour for one week: it was a fantastic trip in the mongolian steppe ! We will never forget it. Read our aventure on acworldtour.com !

• 30th Oct 2014

Right from the first day this family run hostel made me feel right at home. The hostel is a perfect spot to meet other travellers and I was able to quickly organise a tour to Olgii for the golden eagle festival. The co-owner Ogie had good knowledge of the areas we wanted to make a tour to and our driver Amra was amazing. The “roads” in Mongolia provide tough driving conditions and I always felt safe and comfortable with Amra behind the wheel. This was an unforgettable experience, Баярлалаа GG!

• 25th Oct 2014

The best hostel/guest house I have been to! Everything about this place is excellent from the free pickup at the train station, to the homely atmosphere and the excellent tours they offer. The owners are super relaxed and made all of us feel like we're part of their family. Free breakfast is great and everything is kept tidy and clean throughout the day. If you want to meet great and super interesting people and have a comfy place to stay, Golden Gobi is the place to be!

Brilliant place! Very friendly family that runs the place, and will help you out with any questions you have about travelling in Mongolia. I booked an 8 day tour to the Gobi Desert with them and it was a good trip, the guide and driver were excellent. The place is clean and very social, with a good mix of travellers. The location can't be beat with loads of good restaurants nearby, and the central square only 5 minutes walk away. I would definitely recommend staying here.

Excellent! Ogie and her family strive to give you the most comfortable and laidback stay. Tours can be arranged in any way you like, and they only care to make it as perfect as you want. Highly recommended when visiting Mongolia.