Golden Gobi

Fabulous 865 Total Reviews

• England, Female, 18-24
8th Sep 2017
3.7

A bad atmosphere of people, and very very small hostel with limited facilities. People are not particularly inclusive and nothing is made particularly clear. My transfer from the airport did not arrive, after I had booked through them, and my emails went unanswered. Disappointed.

• Germany, Mixed Group, 18-24
7th Sep 2017

Incredibly amazing hostel, and unrealistically cheap.

• Canada, Male, 18-24
3rd Sep 2017

Staff were friendly and eager to offer help. Tour suggested by the manager suited my needs. They were flexible with selecting tours too as they had the driver send me back from the rural to Ulaanbaatar the night before the tour ended for me to catch my flight. (One of the receptionists looked like the Canadian-Taiwanese model Godfrey Gao lol)

• France, Female, 25-30
2nd Sep 2017

We had a great time staying at Golden Gobi. Reception staff was very helpful, rooms were clean and facilities recently renovated. We also booked a ten day tour with them. It turned out to be a great experience, with a highly competent driver and a wonderful and extremely knowledgeable guide. Only downside: Unlike several other tour organisers in UB, Golden Gobi has no refund policy for tours and insists on receiving 100% of tour costs up front.

1st Sep 2017

Decent hostel! There was definitely a buzz in the hostel, the staff were super nice, some of my favourite staff from a hostel! Beds are comfy, the breakfast is nice, location is as good as you can get. The administration side of the business does need some improvements though. I booked in to the 10 bed dorm before i left on a tour, i came back and there was confusion, i ended up having to stay in a more expensive room. I am also pretty sure i lost my key deposit because it wasnt recorded.

• Ireland, Mixed Group, 25-30
  • Globetrotter
30th Aug 2017

10 min walk from the square, free breakfast, good WiFi, supermarket across the road, lots of good food places nearby, nice upstairs and downstairs common room. The set up is that there is 3 showers and 2 toilets in the downstairs area, and a bathroom with everything upstairs. If there is 1 minor improvement to be made it's that out of the 5 beds we occupied in the main room beside the kitchen, 3 or 4 of them were the noisiest we've ever slept on, like any turn would wake up the whole room!

• Switzerland, Male, 31-40
20th Aug 2017
7.4

Gobi tour organized by hostel: guide was too pushy (pushed us to try foods/drinks/to dance etc. even though we said SEVERAL times we did not want) and unprepared (almost forgot our sleeping bags, one tent did not have pegs, one time food was way too little), driver through away all our trash in the nicest nature, only got to sunset spot on dune 1 min before sunrise because we left late, cooking unnecessarily unhygienic (washing dishes badly, etc.) but we still enjoyed it as the nature was amazin

• USA, Male, 25-30
20th Aug 2017
7.4

I enjoyed my stay at Golden Gobi. I thought the staff acted professionally and the free breakfast was nice. Areas to improve: Their wifi is woefully inadequate for the number of people that come through the guest house. When booking a private tour, I did not have the best experience working with the manager. She was unwilling to review details of the trip with me and was very impatient. When 1 of 2 days was rained out, they provided a refund, but only for 40% despite doing low cost activities.

16th Aug 2017

Golden Gobi was intense. Most guests were there for one night before or after trips, so not much of a community. But very high energy (or occasionally completely exhausted). The facilities are simple but very clean and well maintained. The location cannot be beat. Use their offer to pick you up at the train station!

• England, Female, 18-24
14th Aug 2017

We had a great stay here. Everytning was clean and tidy, with the facilities being constantly attended to. The free breakfast was a lovely surprise, as was the amazing range of tours and help on offer. We wanted to see the National Park on a budget and this was arranged for us. Beyond this, the location is perfect - 1 minute from the State Department Store, 5 minutes from Suukhbaataar Square!!

×