Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

I had a very nice stay here. Everyone was lovely and the facilities were top notch. Thank you so much for making my stay easy and enjoyable. I'll be sure to come back.

• 24th Jul 2015

Ms. Ogie and all the staff are excellent professionals. They make easy everything.

• 16th Jul 2015
  • Spain

I had a great stay at Golden Gobi-- I actually stayed a total of 3 nights, not just the one I booked initially. I found the staff to be extraordinarily helpful-- Ogie, the owner, is highly knowledgeable and is able to help travellers of all types figure out a tour or plan travel around Mongolia (with and without a guide). The bunks are squeaky, but the pillows were big and fluffy; the showers are a little grimy, but it's a hostel.

• 12th Jul 2015

Very good guesthouse, good experence with three days tour.

Staff was unfriendly and not very helpful

This is very popular hostel and it also has many staffs to keep it clean

Value for money, certainly. We stayed in the private rooms ND apartment. Showers are ok, some toilets do not have hot water. Rooms have no hangers or place to hang towels or clothes. Wifi works great. They have towels to loan you too.

Very nice atmosphere. They picked us from the train station and offered breakfast already at the day we arrived. We attended a trip to Terelj national park, and the trip was very well organized and our tour guide Alma was very professional. The shower is very very bad. I hope they fix it asap. Otherwise a nice experience.

A fun and place to stay. They are great at organising tours and to at notice .

• 6th Jul 2015
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

as a hostel its good. however, we had several issues wuth poor tour servicd. multiple people demand $ back because of problems or false promises, but you'll never see a dime. just hire a driver and car and skip the guided tours. you are better off doing your own agenda with flexibility. the staff are inflexible and refused our wishes on the tour after we paid $75/day.

The location is great, and the rooms are nice. They have complimentary breakfast. The staff was very helpful and hospitable to me. I organized a tour to Terelj National Park through Ogie, and it was fantastic - a very authentic, low key time with a nomadic family in a ger. I would highly recommend an experience like that. My only complaint would be that the hostel only has one shower that has hot water, and the others that are cold (and even though the hot one when it runs out) are really cold!

Simply the best hostel in UB. The private rooms are better than many of the hotels in the city and are cheaper almost across the board. They even gave me breakfast even though I missed the cut off time by two hours! Great all around, with an atmosphere that encourages cross cultural interaction and conversing.

My stay at golden gobi was not a good experience. I rarely leave a guesthouse early, but the beds were extremely uncomfortable and I found the staff to be unfriendly and unhelpful (unless you show interest in one of their tours, than they put on a great performance). The dorm was tiny with no lockers for your bags. It is also not a very social environment and as a solo backpacker looking for people to travel around Mongolia with I found it very difficult.

Stayed there 3 nights. The travellers you can meet there are amazing, there's a good atmosphere among them! But the staff is only averagely friendly and just interested in doing business. I dont recommend to stay there, unless you wanna meet interesting co-travellers. Breakfast was good though...

Helpful and friendly staff for tour advice and service. It will be perfect if there is a good hot shower.

The hostel has a good atmosphere meet many travels there to share ideas. the staff are very helpful and kind. After being outdoors they would bring a cool drink of water, and the making of tea is always on the go. they would arrange various tours depending on one needs. The security is excellent where I stayed 3 security codes before I could get in. The internet is free and a light breakfast is given. But the stairwell needed better lighting. overall the place suited my needs

I was physically assaulted by another guest while on a tour and the management handled the situation exceptionally poorly. They told me I could only leave the tour at my own expense, didn't separate us until the embassy got involved, and once we returned to UB, told me that: 1) it was my own fault I got assaulted, 2) if I expected safety, I should have booked a private tour, and 3) I shouldn't have made the guy angry enough to hurt me. Please, book with a company that doesn't blame the victim!

I'm so sorry what you had to experience&2 of our staffs were there to solve the problem with you&other guest till evening with police since embassy didn't wanted to involve.There was no evidence on your body, on picture which taken a day earlier on the day of assault &two witness who didn't agree of what you said therefore police didn't involve either assuming complaint was made to make profit. therefore we had no right to stand by anyone's side& other guy didn't give you $150 of what you asked

Fantastic Hostel. Met us at the train station for free transport to hostel. Hostel was lively with great travellers buzz. Good breakfast in the morning and clean dorms and bathrooms. excellent location right beside State Department Store. once we arrived, we booked a tour to the Gobi with the hostel. The tour was excellent..great driver, great guide, great food, great families along the way. Thanks Bob, Oogie and family for a great time!!

This was my first hostel experience. The staff was friendly and helpful.. They advertised meeting trains and airplanes but not a word about bus. Thus, I was very surprised to be greeted as I got off the bus with my son! A free trip to the hostel. I had a private twin bed room. My son and I both were surprised by how clean and nice the room was! Breakfast of egg, toast, jam, hot tea or coffee prepared by the staff. I will stay only at this hostel anytime I return to Ulan Bataar.

• 11th Jun 2015
  • lindamarcelle6673

I had to decline the booking because the guesthouse refused to host my mongolian wife with the reason "we don't host locals". This was not stated in the terms and conditions, and this was not stated in the booking confirmation. That created the ugly situation for us.

Dear Andreas, Many apology on the policy. The most of the guesthouses does not accommodate locals as you know already and we will sure to inform this issue to our guest. All the best,