Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Staff are helpful and are enthusiastic about selling tours. The hostel is clean and is in an excellent location but with only two bathrooms and one additional toilet in the height of the season lack of access to showers could be annoying. Also be careful of the advice staff give about train departure times, my ticket said the train departed at 20.35 yet two staff advised me that the train left an hour later, lucky for me I stuck to the time on the ticket otherwise I would have missed the train

• 14th May 2015

It was brilliant hostel. Very welcoming and friendly. They organised tour for us and the tour is highly recommended. We both loved it very much. The driver and tour guide are also amazing. They treated us like their friends or family member. When we came back from tour, we paid for 6 mixed dorm but manager Bob gave us private room. We had a really good time in here.

Staff including tour guides introduced were all extremely helpful great people. Credit card reader never worked due to transaction failure. Bed frames were a bit shakey but acceptable. Awesome value for price.

• 1st Apr 2015
  • Japan

This hostel was great. They met us off the train and took us to the hostel, I've never had that service from a hostel before. Hostel was clean and breakfast was good, they also have a TV room and computers for public use. Location great as well. Perfect place to stay in UB :) TRANS-MON WARNING - UB felt safe to me, but I did get pickpocketed on the train leaving UB, 2 men boarded train pretending to be sharing our compartment, started moving our bags etc, took money from my coat, be vigilant!

I was in the hostel with a friend during one night. Then the staff was very helpful and organized a tour for the terelj national park for two days with a very well prepared guide! The hostel is also in a central location, near good restaurants/cafes and a place to exchange money. Lastly, we also had a transfer from the train station, which was very pleasant since not most people in the city are English speakers.

We had a fantastic stay at Golden Gobi in February of 2015. Bob was fantastic, organized a tour for us, helped us locate some camel and horse milk in town, and made us feel at home completely. Great breakfast too! Would would recommend this place to anyone!

• 10th Feb 2015

They offer free shuttles from/to railwaystation, they prepare breakfast every morning, they are very friendly and helpful. The tours what they organize are very good and not too expensive. Rooms are comfortable, showers could be better, but they are okay. Location is EXCELLENT. Be prepared that Ulan Bator is fuuul of pollutions! It's second polluted city in the world.. Hard to breath there and you can't get fresh air from the window.

Due to working in Mongolia we stayed in Golden Gobi more than once and its always nice coming back. They take good care of their guests and you won't find any better value-for-money hostel so close to the center of UB.

I really liked my stay at this hostel, The chilling room was really nice with movies, big flat tv

Mama was lovely. The old lady running the show. She wakes up anytime to welcome people and they pick you up from the train station for free. We spent Xmas here and had a lovely time cooking a huge meal to shareHowever in terms of tours they want you to choose them and will treat with high regard if so, if a little fake. We witnessed a girl ambushed by them unfairly after ahe returned from a trip. I'd stay in budget dorm and make your own trip in warm weather if you drive ! Good Internet too.

• 4th Jan 2015

Keep it up

A great place to stay! Right next to state department store, toom me a little to find it but once you it is perfectly located! Starf is very nice, attentative and does stop to offer you hot drinks. Breakfast excellent and filling. Wifi quick. Bathrooms clean and hot water running. It would always come back!