Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

If you visit the capital of Mongolia, this is the place to stay. Englisch speaking staff, good tour planning desk, near supermarket... and Mama prepared us a breakfast at 5 am incl. transfer from trainstation.... thumbs up

Excellent hostel! Nice place, good location, clean and the best of all is the staff. They are all very helpful! They picked us up from the train station at 5 am and when we arrived at the hostel they were waiting for us with an amazing breakfast! And they also woke up at 6 am the day we were leaving to prepare breakfast for us! The tours they offer are great and the guides and drivers are all very nice.

Good location, extremely friendly and helpful personnel, there is nothing bad I can tell, the only thing, that can be improved - to fix or maintain some door bell, as it is a bit inconvenient to strike door in order to come in.

I stayed at the Golden Gobi for 3 weeks while I worked for a Mongolian NGO in the city. The grandmother cooks breakfast in the morning for the guests, fried eggs, toast, yogurt with muesli, sometimes potato crepes, all free. At one point I got a cold and Ogie, who runs the place, wrote me out a note in Mongolian so I could get what I needed from the pharmacy. The showers and beds were a bit on the small side for me, I'm 6'3, but that's a minor complaint about an otherwise great experience.

• 17th Mar 2014

Valued living with a caring family who looked after my every need, organized early taxis etc

• 4th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

Awesome location and very helpful staff. Was here in Winter and a bit unsure of what to expect, tours still run and are best if you can find a group of people to go with. There seems to be on average a tour leaving every second day, so heaps of opportunities to jump on board. The tour was fantastic, traveled solo but would recommenced including a guide in your trip. My driver was excellent and I felt very safe with him. Ogie was extremely helpful and will help you organise anything you need.

• 23rd Jan 2014

I would certainly recommend this hotel. It's so comfortable and friendly. No doubt about it I'd stay again

• 19th Jan 2014

I stayed 10 days in Mongolia and spent a total of 5 nights in Golden Gobi Guesthouse. I was there in the beginning of January, so I was virtually the only one staying in the hostel. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful as they organized for me the 5 day tour I did in the desert going from one family to another. They also lent me some equipment (sleeping bag and long johns). Overall I am extremely satisfied with the guesthouse !

• 2nd Jan 2014

Internet only til 11 p.m. and wasn't working for 2 days because of a problem. Location is perfect, close to the central square and Peace Avenue. Free breakfast; very nice.

Excellent place to stay if you want to arrange a tour when you arrive in UB. Always really busy and full of friendly people. We organised a tour and that was great too. Slightly disorganised at the end of our stay, but that seemed par for the course in Mongolia - things seem to run on a slightly different timescale than you might be used to as a Westerner, but that's part of the charm...