Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Great location! Nice and small. Breakfast is not amazing, but considering price it is ok. Staff speaks ok english what is good for UB. Internet works only till midnight. There is no key or doorbell so you have to knock. In general very peacfull and relaxing, definately no party place :)

The stay was gerat and the tour we booked through the hostel as well! Unfortunately on the day of departure, however, we ended up stranded without transportation to the train station at 6.30 in the morning due to mis-communication from the staff. It was arranged in the end but we almost missed our train!! Only a few of the staff speak english so make sure to double check times/schedules etc to avoid such a situation. The rest was without complains: really recommend the place!!

Overall good experience at this hostel. Good central location and great to have free pick up and drop off at the station. Only issues...not the best internet, no washing machine and no hairdryer.

Sent the hostel several emails before I arrived asking if they would definitely pick me up and if I could change my booking, I had to make three very expensive international phone calls to the hostel and every time they said they would reply to my email, I even spoke to the manager but nobody replied to my email until i was already on a train and could not receive the email. Added a lot of pre-arrival stress which could have been easily solved by them spending two minutes to reply to my email.

Good location,good price,good atmosphere,very good personnel

Very kind personel,very helpful staff,very good atmosphere

Superb hostel! Free tea and coffee, great chill room. Bob is great at sorting out any tour from UB you want to do. Highly recommend

An ok place. Did a tour with them which went well. The layout is claustrophobic because of the tours that collect in the main room every day. The sleeping areas are small and somewhat noisy. Internet was quite good but did shut off randomly at night. Overall i'd say meh.

Overall, I had a very unpleasant stay. The room was institutional and very poor value for money given that there are so many nicer places to stay in Ulanbaatar for less than what was charged. The single mattress was thin, saggy and you could feel all the springs through it. The proprietress is rude and will defraud you given a chance if you go on their tours. Highly discouraged!

• 29th Aug 2015

I understand,you were very upset when we had no cheapest private rooms were available when you wanted to stay with us again and again.But,I would like to explain you again that if you made bookings we would have kept you the room that you wanted on your date, because its first serve first come if the room is available and it was given away to others. I guarantee that all of our rooms are spacious and comfy with reasonable prices that you cannot get the same value! Thanks you.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the free breakfast is very much appreciated! The only thing I hope they improve is a door lock system for the dorm rooms and updating the showers. I did a 2 week tour through this hostel and the driver Oos Gambah and Guide Maggie were a great combo! It's affordable and we had a great time! I am happy to stay again at this hostel since returning from my trip.

Thanks for your valuable review and we will be renovating the showers for the next season and hope to have you back in the future. Thanks for staying with us and all the best!

Good hostel but a bit loud and busy. staff were helpful and the rooms are nice and showers etc good

This is a very nice family run hostel, the owners are very welcoming (even free pick ups from the train station). I was only intending to stay a few day's at this hostel but have now been here the better part of a month! Its a very busy hostel with a lot of travellers coming through, they offer a range of trips and people seem to come from other hostels to take advantage of these trips. Met a lot of great people here, recommended for solo travellers!

Good hostel in the very centre of town with a good free breakfast and help in booking tours. Toilets and showers could be a bit hit and miss and its lights out after midnight in the hostel but no problems for getting in late a night and the train station pick-up was a much appreciated! I would stay here again for sure!

This is a very busy hostel, with the majority of guests looking to arrange tours. This makes for a rather hectic atmosphere. The facilities are not always kept clean and need updating.

• 19th Aug 2015
  • Hungary

Nice hostel in perfect location. A bit too busy for my liking but still good.

The value for money is unbeatable. Excellent location, the staff is very friendly and they help you with everything that you need for your tours in Mongolia. No matter if it is for two days or two months they organise everything for you.

very nice hostel. the staff is amazing and their tours also. ii've just did a elevendays tour and everything was amazing. i plan to go back to mongolia and back to this hostel.

• 12th Aug 2015

I came to Mongolia with no plan and the hostel helped me squeeze in a homestay at a traditional ger for a few nights. Theyrooms were comfortable and breakfast was enough to keep me full for the day. Showers were nice and clean with hot water. Kitchen was clean as well with free water! There was one day when electricity was out but I was able to go out and explore the city for a few hours. The staff can definitely make an itinerary according to your needs.

• 10th Aug 2015