Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Three of us travelled for one month in Mongolia and stayed at Golden Gobi three times between our adventures in the country. The staff were incredibly helpful in helping us plan our trips. The location is fantastic with everything worth seeing within walking distance. It was so nice to return from each of our adventures and be welcomed back like family. There are lockers for valuables and they rent gear for trips like tents and sleeping bags, all good quality. I would definitely recommend them.

helpful staff and good location, we cancelled our 2nd night because the staff helped us organise a tour which involved sleeping out in a ger on the 2nd night. we were able to leave our bags while on the tour and pick up before leaving mongolia. wifi worked well.

What a great hostel this is! Ogie and her family (brother, Mum etc) really make this place what it is. They couldn´t do more to make us feel welcome. I was travelling with my Dad and they made sure that he got a bottom bunk each time we stayed. We organised a 2 day tour with them too which included a night with a nomadic family and I have to stay this was the highlight of our whole trip! Thank you Ogie and family for welcoming us to your home and making our stay in Mongolia so memorable.

Nice and very helpful staff. They picked us up from the station when we arrived in UB and also arranged a free transportation when we left. Private room was ok, but the common toilets didnt always have paper. The hostel also organised a great and interesting 2d/1n tour in the Terelj national park including staying with a local nomadic family and sleeping in a ger. Only minus was that we head to pay for the room also for the night we were away on the tour. Highly recommended!

• 27th May 2015
  • Finland

thank you for the awsome tour!

Ogie is, as the rest of the staff, very kind and willing to help you with anything. Be sure to ask for the excellent tours they can arrange and this is the place to meet other travellers.

Great place.

Very good place to base yourself in Ulaan Bator. Nice people there. They arrange also all kind of trips which are good value. I did a 11 days trip through the Gobi Dessert and it was very nice. You can get a feeling of what nomadic life is all about. When i returned from the trip and stayed again in the hostel i got a goof discount. I can reccommend this place when you're in Ulaan Bator.

I can't recommend Golden Gobi enough, the hostel is the perfect place to base oneself for trips all around Mongolia. The free pickup at the train is a wonderful amenity, and the hostel is clean, cozy, and the breakfast was very good and free! Staff go out of their way to help you - they even picked up my train tickets while I was on a hostel-arranged Gobi tour. And on that note, their tours are top-notch. I had an incredible 5 days in the Gobi with 3 other travellers. Highly recommended!

Golden Gobi: a 2nd home in a faraway land. Family owned/operated, everything one could hope for: stage-point for wild wonders of Gobi & steppes of legend; cultural offerings of UB: museums, historical sites & shopping. What makes this hostel stand out: the family: Natives of the vast Gobi Desert + excellent resources for organizing the most incredible desert, hiking, & horse/camel trek-adventures! Solo? Ogie & family will find awesome new friends from RTW, providing high-quality guides,

• 15th May 2015

Staff are helpful and are enthusiastic about selling tours. The hostel is clean and is in an excellent location but with only two bathrooms and one additional toilet in the height of the season lack of access to showers could be annoying. Also be careful of the advice staff give about train departure times, my ticket said the train departed at 20.35 yet two staff advised me that the train left an hour later, lucky for me I stuck to the time on the ticket otherwise I would have missed the train

• 14th May 2015

Very friendly and helpful staff. Their tour was brilliant with lovely guide and driver.

• 10th May 2015

Spent 5 weeks in Mongolia and stayed in this hostel 4 times between trips.This is one of the best hostels iv ever stayed at. Family run business, Ugii, Bob, Erica and Mama really run a good operation and their tours and knowledge of all Mongolia is exceptional. The facility is clean and well maintained, Atmosphere is welcoming and all in all there is a good vibe here. What makes this hostel excel above others is the quality of the tours they provide and how they cater for every type of traveller

• 26th Apr 2015

I can't recommend Golden Gobi enough! The hostel is a perfect place to base oneself for trips all around Mongolia! And it's a perfect place to meet great people! The free pickup at the station is a great amenity, breakfast is good and included! Ogie, Bob as well as the rest of the staff are really personable, well organized and helpful! I changed my plans at Golden Gobi and did a homestay with a nomadic family in central Mongolia! Experience - indescribable! Thx to Ogie, Bob and our guide Mogi!

We were in Mongolia for a month and did two tours with golden Gobi, one to the Gobi and one to Hovsgol lake. Although they were more expensive then we anticipated we were blown away with the quality of the tours. The staff were friendly and helpful with anything we needed, including a Russian visa. The hostel itself is a base for people venturing into the steppe. The beds and bathrooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is good and there is heaps of tea. 10/10

It was brilliant hostel. Very welcoming and friendly. They organised tour for us and the tour is highly recommended. We both loved it very much. The driver and tour guide are also amazing. They treated us like their friends or family member. When we came back from tour, we paid for 6 mixed dorm but manager Bob gave us private room. We had a really good time in here.

Staff including tour guides introduced were all extremely helpful great people. Credit card reader never worked due to transaction failure. Bed frames were a bit shakey but acceptable. Awesome value for price.

• 1st Apr 2015
  • Japan

This hostel was great. They met us off the train and took us to the hostel, I've never had that service from a hostel before. Hostel was clean and breakfast was good, they also have a TV room and computers for public use. Location great as well. Perfect place to stay in UB :) TRANS-MON WARNING - UB felt safe to me, but I did get pickpocketed on the train leaving UB, 2 men boarded train pretending to be sharing our compartment, started moving our bags etc, took money from my coat, be vigilant!

I was in the hostel with a friend during one night. Then the staff was very helpful and organized a tour for the terelj national park for two days with a very well prepared guide! The hostel is also in a central location, near good restaurants/cafes and a place to exchange money. Lastly, we also had a transfer from the train station, which was very pleasant since not most people in the city are English speakers.

We had a fantastic stay at Golden Gobi in February of 2015. Bob was fantastic, organized a tour for us, helped us locate some camel and horse milk in town, and made us feel at home completely. Great breakfast too! Would would recommend this place to anyone!

• 10th Feb 2015