Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Stayed there 3 nights. The travellers you can meet there are amazing, there's a good atmosphere among them! But the staff is only averagely friendly and just interested in doing business. I dont recommend to stay there, unless you wanna meet interesting co-travellers. Breakfast was good though...

Helpful and friendly staff for tour advice and service. It will be perfect if there is a good hot shower.

The hostel has a good atmosphere meet many travels there to share ideas. the staff are very helpful and kind. After being outdoors they would bring a cool drink of water, and the making of tea is always on the go. they would arrange various tours depending on one needs. The security is excellent where I stayed 3 security codes before I could get in. The internet is free and a light breakfast is given. But the stairwell needed better lighting. overall the place suited my needs

I was physically assaulted by another guest while on a tour and the management handled the situation exceptionally poorly. They told me I could only leave the tour at my own expense, didn't separate us until the embassy got involved, and once we returned to UB, told me that: 1) it was my own fault I got assaulted, 2) if I expected safety, I should have booked a private tour, and 3) I shouldn't have made the guy angry enough to hurt me. Please, book with a company that doesn't blame the victim!

I'm so sorry what you had to experience&2 of our staffs were there to solve the problem with you&other guest till evening with police since embassy didn't wanted to involve.There was no evidence on your body, on picture which taken a day earlier on the day of assault &two witness who didn't agree of what you said therefore police didn't involve either assuming complaint was made to make profit. therefore we had no right to stand by anyone's side& other guy didn't give you $150 of what you asked

Fantastic Hostel. Met us at the train station for free transport to hostel. Hostel was lively with great travellers buzz. Good breakfast in the morning and clean dorms and bathrooms. excellent location right beside State Department Store. once we arrived, we booked a tour to the Gobi with the hostel. The tour was excellent..great driver, great guide, great food, great families along the way. Thanks Bob, Oogie and family for a great time!!

This was my first hostel experience. The staff was friendly and helpful.. They advertised meeting trains and airplanes but not a word about bus. Thus, I was very surprised to be greeted as I got off the bus with my son! A free trip to the hostel. I had a private twin bed room. My son and I both were surprised by how clean and nice the room was! Breakfast of egg, toast, jam, hot tea or coffee prepared by the staff. I will stay only at this hostel anytime I return to Ulan Bataar.

• 11th Jun 2015
  • lindamarcelle6673

I had to decline the booking because the guesthouse refused to host my mongolian wife with the reason "we don't host locals". This was not stated in the terms and conditions, and this was not stated in the booking confirmation. That created the ugly situation for us.

Dear Andreas, Many apology on the policy. The most of the guesthouses does not accommodate locals as you know already and we will sure to inform this issue to our guest. All the best,

Three of us travelled for one month in Mongolia and stayed at Golden Gobi three times between our adventures in the country. The staff were incredibly helpful in helping us plan our trips. The location is fantastic with everything worth seeing within walking distance. It was so nice to return from each of our adventures and be welcomed back like family. There are lockers for valuables and they rent gear for trips like tents and sleeping bags, all good quality. I would definitely recommend them.

helpful staff and good location, we cancelled our 2nd night because the staff helped us organise a tour which involved sleeping out in a ger on the 2nd night. we were able to leave our bags while on the tour and pick up before leaving mongolia. wifi worked well.

What a great hostel this is! Ogie and her family (brother, Mum etc) really make this place what it is. They couldn´t do more to make us feel welcome. I was travelling with my Dad and they made sure that he got a bottom bunk each time we stayed. We organised a 2 day tour with them too which included a night with a nomadic family and I have to stay this was the highlight of our whole trip! Thank you Ogie and family for welcoming us to your home and making our stay in Mongolia so memorable.

Nice and very helpful staff. They picked us up from the station when we arrived in UB and also arranged a free transportation when we left. Private room was ok, but the common toilets didnt always have paper. The hostel also organised a great and interesting 2d/1n tour in the Terelj national park including staying with a local nomadic family and sleeping in a ger. Only minus was that we head to pay for the room also for the night we were away on the tour. Highly recommended!

• 27th May 2015