Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Private rooms in the appartement complex are ideal if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the common room. Ogi is very helpful with trips or even with remedies for diarhria! She takes care of all of her guests.

We had a pleasant stay at Golden Gobi, the owners were very welcoming and helpful. We booked a great tour through them and had a wonderful time. My only complaint would be the shower facilities were a little under par (broken showers, and often o hot water), but the city was under a hot water ban so all things considered wasn't really a big issue.

Hands down the best hostel in UB! Staff is extremely helpful and go out of their way helping guests. I went on one of their tours was well, had a great experience with professional guide and highly skilled driver, yet the price of tours is unbeatable in town. Will definitely come back to Mongolia and Golden Gobi!

Golden gobi is great place clean and very friendly. I had great time there, I went on gobi tour through them it was unforgettable. If I come back to UB I will definitely stay at that place again

• 18th May 2014
  • Croatia

I stayed at the Golden Gobi during a 2.5 week trip to Mongolia and it was the perfect place to crash in UB and organize tours to other parts of Mongolia. Ogii, Bob and the rest of the staff were amazing, always extremely helpful and hard working. The rooms are clean, atmosphere is very homey/friendly. I went on two tours through them, one to the gobi desert and one to the 8 lakes region and both were unforgettable experiences, no complaints at all. Would highly recommend this hostel to everyone.

i ve been to a few hostels in Ulaanbaataar and for me that from far away the best , i would definetly recommend to everyone , great staffs , clean and close to all facilities

Ocki and Bob,the owners, are excellent in organizing tours,the staff is very friendly,too and provide a lot of information. Rooms were big (Double room) and clean. The atmosphere was great,we met a lot of other international travellers and the common roomy is fantastic for socialising. The WiFi didn't work well all the time and at some days,there were only few hours with hot water (should be solved with the newly installed electro heaters).

Great location, great staff, a really good breakfast and a free pick up from the train station. We took a tour organised by the hostel and it was absolutely fantastic. I would whole heartedly recommend the hostel if you are wanting to stay in UB.

Golden Gobi is such a nice hostel. The common areas are so comfortable that you would like to stay your whole trip in the hostel. Bob and Ogi are trying their best that you feel at home. It's the best place to stay in Ulaanbaatar!

• 7th May 2014

A very good hostel. Comments I read on Tripadvisor about the staff being rude if one didn't want one of their tours weren't relevant to my stay. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

• 24th Apr 2014

Great location right in the middle of town, short distance to museums and other attractions. Bus 11 is odd to find from the airport, but drops you close, walking distance. From airport, turn left, go under bridge, go up dirt path, continue on parallel street, bus stops by a shack on the left. Staff is helpful and friendly, common room is cozy, breakfast is nice-nutella toast, a bit of cereal and yogurt, and plenty of toast and jam. Clean and comfy. But wifi is turned off at night inconsistently

If you visit the capital of Mongolia, this is the place to stay. Englisch speaking staff, good tour planning desk, near supermarket... and Mama prepared us a breakfast at 5 am incl. transfer from trainstation.... thumbs up

A Family run hostel with much love and Beauty. They organize your individual tour through Mongolia exactly according to your wishes. Our guide Bogi and river Martla were like our mum and dad during our trip! Both know the life of the nomads, as they come from nomad families and so you get the most from your tour, if you want. The nomads eat 3 times a day only cooked meat, Bogi cooked us very delicious and various different food according to our wishes. The Golden Gobi team is great!

• 26th Mar 2014
  • Austria

Excellent hostel! Nice place, good location, clean and the best of all is the staff. They are all very helpful! They picked us up from the train station at 5 am and when we arrived at the hostel they were waiting for us with an amazing breakfast! And they also woke up at 6 am the day we were leaving to prepare breakfast for us! The tours they offer are great and the guides and drivers are all very nice.

Good location, extremely friendly and helpful personnel, there is nothing bad I can tell, the only thing, that can be improved - to fix or maintain some door bell, as it is a bit inconvenient to strike door in order to come in.

I stayed at the Golden Gobi for 3 weeks while I worked for a Mongolian NGO in the city. The grandmother cooks breakfast in the morning for the guests, fried eggs, toast, yogurt with muesli, sometimes potato crepes, all free. At one point I got a cold and Ogie, who runs the place, wrote me out a note in Mongolian so I could get what I needed from the pharmacy. The showers and beds were a bit on the small side for me, I'm 6'3, but that's a minor complaint about an otherwise great experience.

• 17th Mar 2014

Valued living with a caring family who looked after my every need, organized early taxis etc

• 4th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

Awesome location and very helpful staff. Was here in Winter and a bit unsure of what to expect, tours still run and are best if you can find a group of people to go with. There seems to be on average a tour leaving every second day, so heaps of opportunities to jump on board. The tour was fantastic, traveled solo but would recommenced including a guide in your trip. My driver was excellent and I felt very safe with him. Ogie was extremely helpful and will help you organise anything you need.

• 23rd Jan 2014

I would certainly recommend this hotel. It's so comfortable and friendly. No doubt about it I'd stay again

• 19th Jan 2014

I stayed 10 days in Mongolia and spent a total of 5 nights in Golden Gobi Guesthouse. I was there in the beginning of January, so I was virtually the only one staying in the hostel. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful as they organized for me the 5 day tour I did in the desert going from one family to another. They also lent me some equipment (sleeping bag and long johns). Overall I am extremely satisfied with the guesthouse !

• 2nd Jan 2014