Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

this hostel has great facilities and is basically THE PLACE TO BE if you want to meet other people travelling, interesting tours etc. the accomodation is great value and excellency located. The only thing I will say is that they will try and sell you their tours...and perhaps that is more of a priority than checking in/checking out stuff - so be prepared for that... they have good tours, but if you just want to get into your room NOW you will have to make this point clear

Very friendly and welcoming staff. Great craic altogether. The guys organised our tours in Mongolia to their family home stays in the Gers in the coumtryside

The guest house is close to the department store and the main part of town. The rooms are clean and .staff are very nice.

• 20th Sep 2013
  • Japan

fine. good location. staff were helpful. showers were not hot in morning. great place to meet other travellers

Golden Gobi staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is very cozy. Only thing that was not okay was the information about the things that tour prize includes. We were told that all tour days include three meals and that the trip takes us directly from the hostel back to the hostel. This was not true, for the last day only breakfast was offered and there was no pick up service from the bus station. The tour itself was very nice and the guide and driver were professional and reliable. Thanks :)

Golden Gobi is a decent hostel with an excellent location, but the one big drawback is that the staff are so busy that you often have to wait in line to talk to them at all.

We had a very good time at the Golden Gobi. The staff arranged a trip out of UB for us for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the washing machine didn't work, which was a bit of a pain. We had a kitchen, but it could have been better equipped - cooking there was a fairly tedious task. All in all however, the Golden Gobi was a very comfortable and welcoming place to stay.

I can not recommend this Hostel at all. The staff is super unfriendly, if they can't sell you one of their tours they will be very mean, on the other hand nobody has time for you, when you got a question. Some people have been kicked out for some strange reason during my stay. After midnight the Internet is shut down, no chance for people to communicate with their family or friends overseas, the common room is closed after midnight as well. I didn't feel welcome at all.

1. You had 2 separate bookings of 5th-8th & 9th-11th. You've paid first part of the booking & tried to leave without paying the second part until you got caught. 2. We're sorry we couldn't change our policy for you to party every night, since we have other guests who wants to sleep as well 3. We don’t kick out our guests because we are too welcoming and that’s probably the reason we are busy. I really hope that you will make an honest review to other places

A nice (free!) welcome at the train station, pleasant stay and a good 2 day tour to Terelj and ger family. Thanks guys!

I liked the hostel a lot and the tour I booked with them was awesome. I heard some people complaining but for me it was very nice. I can recommend the Ger-to-Ger-Tour but take the number of the hostel with you. Just in case.

Excellent location, close to Peace Ave, restaurant/bars/supermarket Really enjoyed short 2 day tour to Ger camp and National Park Room was damp and therefore was cold, given an extra duvet on request Good laundry service Excellent value considering location Busy reception but if patient can get all questions answered Free pick up from train station was fantastic esp as we had an early morning arrival

Heegii, the manager, was amazing, helped organize tour--which was great! Took me to the train station to organize my ticket. Made sure the hot water was available after getting back from my tour. Organized my early morning taxi. I would definitely go back!

Very helpful staff indeed. Our flight was delayed and the car we had pre booked made the journey twice in vain to pick us up. At 11 pm, after a ten hour delay, when we eventually landed the car was there to our great relief.this was a big ask as the roads to and from the airport are busy and often dirt eg an hour pluss journey. When we arrive to the Golden Gobi we were offered tea and the check in procedure was delayed to the morning. A better welcome we could not have asked for!

The hostel is good to get a place to sleep for a few nights, but to stay longer it is too overcrowded and also the city of Ulaanbaatar is not worth it. Hot water is only liminated. A very good alternative is to go on one of the many trips offered and organized by the hostel. They have trips for everything from just 2 days on up to a month or more. You can choose between the many completely different but all fascniating landscapes of Mongolia. Prices for trips are quit ok.

Golden Gobi was very conveniently located, albeit a little difficult to find. It's a fantastic place to stay if you're looking to book a tour, as groups are always passing through. However, it seems like more of a tour staging area than anything else; it was difficult to get the staff's attention because they were always preoccupied with the tour groups. The common area was also too small to accommodate the large number of people who were always in and out.

• 23rd Aug 2013

They messed up my airport transfer and then made no effort to rectify the issue, despite me being late for my flight check in as a result. I had to ask for a member of staff to go to the main road and help me hail a cab in the end - not impressed with that!

The owners were very kind and helpful. Even helped us find a different guesthouse when we needed to stay an extra night and they were full!

The Golden Gobi is the thriving (sometimes overflowing) hostel. The owners Oggi and Bob are friendly, but the patience of a saint is required when dealing with them. They are one of the cheapest places to book a tour, but by no means is everything assured or guaranteed, ultimately you are likely to be happy, assuming your standards are in-line with your budget. Doing laundry there was extortionately expensive.

PLUS Early station pick up Passport pick up from the Chinese Emb Got my onward train ticket Our driver AMRA - Professional, could fix everything & drive everywhere Friendly young guys & cleaning staff Breakfast Gobi & Central Tour MINUS Tour price Laundry price Front dorm room, too noisy Our guide. Excellent cook but lots of inaccuracies/vague. She become irritable/rude at the end. Slept & used her phone a lot. Didn't show for the end of tour party. Other guides seemed very good

We enjoyed staying one week in the nice twin-bed room next door where we shared a beautiful bath and kitchen with only two other rooms, all newly renovated, well functioning, spacious and clean. We surely stay again at Golden Gobi next time we visit UB, maybe in wintertime 2014. Beat and Fränzi Schwarzenbach from Switzerland

• 19th Aug 2013