Golden Gobi Reviews

Chingeltei district, 40000 Microdistrict building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Internet only til 11 p.m. and wasn't working for 2 days because of a problem. Location is perfect, close to the central square and Peace Avenue. Free breakfast; very nice.

Excellent place to stay if you want to arrange a tour when you arrive in UB. Always really busy and full of friendly people. We organised a tour and that was great too. Slightly disorganised at the end of our stay, but that seemed par for the course in Mongolia - things seem to run on a slightly different timescale than you might be used to as a Westerner, but that's part of the charm...

One of the worst hostels I have ever stayed... Staff is very bad, unhelpful and don't really speak English. They are mostly interested in getting money from you in any way and so they even try to trick you by changing prices, charging more or saying lies about stuff in Mongolia if you want to go somewhere independently. Definitely would not recommend it to anyone.

As you were all on tight budget we arranged a tour $45 p.p for 2 days package tour. Due to sudden heavy snow driving had to drive slow though you still had a great full day tour with horse ride, visit national park, meals, english speaking guide & driver. After returning you complaint that you lost time due to snow and demanded us to refund the $45 and which we refunded for all of you. It wasn't our guide&drivers fault that it snowed but you all even refused to pay their salary at least.

I was surprised that a so well rated Hostel could be so bad. This is my first bad review in long time. GOOD: Lots of travellers. BAD: Always trying to overcharge and scare about doing things your self. First I had to discuss 30 mins to be able to pay what my HOSTELWORLD emails said I had to pay and not what they wanted me to. Staff was rude and always more worried about charging something new than helping. The tours were 4 times more expensive than the one we did on our own.

1)You had 1 night booking only & stayed 2 more nights without booking. But, you wanted to pay the extra two nights with same amount of hostel world booking after 10% deposit when you didn't have the booking for rest 2 nights. 2)You did a tour on your own with public transport&its not even comparable of what we arrange. You agreed to rent a gear for 5 nights 6 days then arrived on 6th day mid afternoon & demanded us to refund 6th day rental fee of $2. I believe its not fair way to save

Nice, sociable hostel where you're likely to meet a lot of other travellers. The beds were comfy (if a little creaky), the location is excellent, right in the centre of the city and the staff are very friendly. The lack of bathrooms was sometimes a problem for the number of people in the hostel but other than that this place was a great place to stay and I'd definitely stay again.

this hostel has great facilities and is basically THE PLACE TO BE if you want to meet other people travelling, interesting tours etc. the accomodation is great value and excellency located. The only thing I will say is that they will try and sell you their tours...and perhaps that is more of a priority than checking in/checking out stuff - so be prepared for that... they have good tours, but if you just want to get into your room NOW you will have to make this point clear

Very friendly and welcoming staff. Great craic altogether. The guys organised our tours in Mongolia to their family home stays in the Gers in the coumtryside

The guest house is close to the department store and the main part of town. The rooms are clean and .staff are very nice.

• 20th Sep 2013
  • Japan

fine. good location. staff were helpful. showers were not hot in morning. great place to meet other travellers

Golden Gobi staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is very cozy. Only thing that was not okay was the information about the things that tour prize includes. We were told that all tour days include three meals and that the trip takes us directly from the hostel back to the hostel. This was not true, for the last day only breakfast was offered and there was no pick up service from the bus station. The tour itself was very nice and the guide and driver were professional and reliable. Thanks :)

Golden Gobi is a decent hostel with an excellent location, but the one big drawback is that the staff are so busy that you often have to wait in line to talk to them at all.

We had a very good time at the Golden Gobi. The staff arranged a trip out of UB for us for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the washing machine didn't work, which was a bit of a pain. We had a kitchen, but it could have been better equipped - cooking there was a fairly tedious task. All in all however, the Golden Gobi was a very comfortable and welcoming place to stay.

I can not recommend this Hostel at all. The staff is super unfriendly, if they can't sell you one of their tours they will be very mean, on the other hand nobody has time for you, when you got a question. Some people have been kicked out for some strange reason during my stay. After midnight the Internet is shut down, no chance for people to communicate with their family or friends overseas, the common room is closed after midnight as well. I didn't feel welcome at all.

1. You had 2 separate bookings of 5th-8th & 9th-11th. You've paid first part of the booking & tried to leave without paying the second part until you got caught. 2. We're sorry we couldn't change our policy for you to party every night, since we have other guests who wants to sleep as well 3. We don’t kick out our guests because we are too welcoming and that’s probably the reason we are busy. I really hope that you will make an honest review to other places

A nice (free!) welcome at the train station, pleasant stay and a good 2 day tour to Terelj and ger family. Thanks guys!

I liked the hostel a lot and the tour I booked with them was awesome. I heard some people complaining but for me it was very nice. I can recommend the Ger-to-Ger-Tour but take the number of the hostel with you. Just in case.

Excellent location, close to Peace Ave, restaurant/bars/supermarket Really enjoyed short 2 day tour to Ger camp and National Park Room was damp and therefore was cold, given an extra duvet on request Good laundry service Excellent value considering location Busy reception but if patient can get all questions answered Free pick up from train station was fantastic esp as we had an early morning arrival

Heegii, the manager, was amazing, helped organize tour--which was great! Took me to the train station to organize my ticket. Made sure the hot water was available after getting back from my tour. Organized my early morning taxi. I would definitely go back!

Very helpful staff indeed. Our flight was delayed and the car we had pre booked made the journey twice in vain to pick us up. At 11 pm, after a ten hour delay, when we eventually landed the car was there to our great relief.this was a big ask as the roads to and from the airport are busy and often dirt eg an hour pluss journey. When we arrive to the Golden Gobi we were offered tea and the check in procedure was delayed to the morning. A better welcome we could not have asked for!

The hostel is good to get a place to sleep for a few nights, but to stay longer it is too overcrowded and also the city of Ulaanbaatar is not worth it. Hot water is only liminated. A very good alternative is to go on one of the many trips offered and organized by the hostel. They have trips for everything from just 2 days on up to a month or more. You can choose between the many completely different but all fascniating landscapes of Mongolia. Prices for trips are quit ok.

Golden Gobi was very conveniently located, albeit a little difficult to find. It's a fantastic place to stay if you're looking to book a tour, as groups are always passing through. However, it seems like more of a tour staging area than anything else; it was difficult to get the staff's attention because they were always preoccupied with the tour groups. The common area was also too small to accommodate the large number of people who were always in and out.

• 23rd Aug 2013