Gorge View Reviews

723 3rd. Street, Niagara Falls, USA

Overall good value for money hostel in this area. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The hostel is in a perfect location, just a 10 minute walk to the falls. It was extremely clean and comfortable and you can see that a lot of work has gone in to updating and improving the hostel by the owner Jeff. He was welcoming and extremely knowledgeable about the area and also very helpful. On first impressions some may not think the area safe, but I didn't feel unsafe walking to the hostel or around the attractions in Niagara.

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback and for the inspiring praise.... Just because you mentioned "a lot of work" we're going to do a lot more this winter!!! Thanks for bolstering confidence about the area but to be honest we are expecting a lot of ghosts and goblins by the end of this week (Halloween and all). Should go back to safe after that.

I did not understand your explanation about the charges and I was surprised to see a charge on my card. TOtally fine, but now I have to charge you for your future night in Roatan!

• 12th Oct 2014

Hehe!!! Well again I apologize totally for all the confusion and I certainly didn't mean to surprise you but wow, of all the times for me to screw up a check in that bad it was with another proprietor. Well, I hope to pay you for more than one night in Roatan!! If I make it there you can recommend a great place to eat and I'll take you there too.

The owner Jeff was very friendly we talked for at least two hours one day. He is very dedicated and cleans the rooms himself. The building was a former apartment complex so the bathrooms are in your room and not down the hall. Some apartments are still kept for long term stays. You get your own key to the front door. The rooms are huge and secure with lockers. I went midweek in October so the place wasnt packed. By the weekend it was full.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed it and it is always a pleasure when we have time to talk with guests, share stories......

free parking! love it... really convenient (I was driving) and close to everything (3rd street)

• 4th Oct 2014

No problems, I think it would be silly to put you in walking distance of everything, tell you to leave your car in the lot and then charge you. Then again..... maybe we should.... then I could afford to travel.... just kidding. Seriously, I'm glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the review. Free parking for guests will continue.

Bathrooms and kitchen very clean. Atmosphere inviting, and staff very friendly and helpful!

• 27th Sep 2014

Thank you for the positive feedback, definitely a motivator to keep up the hard work. We're looking forward to major improvements on the bathrooms over the winter months so that we'll get more adjectives besides "clean" like maybe beautiful! but we'll have to wait and see how the renovations go and how everyone likes the result. Again thanks for the praises though, it's actually humbling as well as motivating - Too kind but thank you.

Unique, historic house and a comfortable room, very helpful and kind staff, walking distance to the falls and all important spots. Recommendation!

Thank you for taking the time to provide us a review and we definitely appreciate the positive feed back. Hope your journey continued well.

Loved the owner!! He was very outgoing and personable and friendly. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable!

Awe, thank you so much I'm blushing.... Hope your journey continued well and I noticed the slight ding on the "atmosphere" rating (or lower mark). Yeah that can be improved. I have to admit I kinda rely on each group of guests to set that.... But I can't blame guests so I'll start brainstorming on how to set it... send me some suggestions.

One of the biggest, and best decorated, hostel rooms I've been in. Staff was amazing and helpful. It's a bit out of the way from downtown and the Falls, but still walking distance. Great place to stay!

• 15th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Thanks for the praise on the decor. We're looking forward to improving upon that over the winter months. Meanwhile, we also working on getting downtown to move closer to us. We expect at least 3 new businesses to open on 3rd Street by next year, a breakfast & coffee bistro!!, a two new bars/restaurants all within 3 blocks. We'll keep people posted though about those developments.

I really enjoyed my stay at Gorge View. Owner was very helpful in providing information and directions. The location is great; short walk to the Falls and grocery store. Great view of the fireworks display from the rooftop. The hostel is very clean and safe; lockers in all the rooms (though I never really felt the need to lock anything up), and only people staying at the hostel can enter after hours (key provided/no curfew). There's a new and clean propane grill out back, and w/d facilities.

Thank you for the positive feedback, glad you enjoyed your time here and your trip to Toronto, we don't highlight the ease with which one can visit Toronto from here but you sure demonstrated it. Hope things are going well for you.

The guy running the place was very welcoming, you get a map and he tells you everything you need to know!

Thank you for staying and providing the feedback. We'll definitely keep the maps!!!

This hostel is in probably the best location you could ask for! Right near the falls and only around a 15 minute walk to get across to the Canadian side! The owner is super friendly and gives you lots of great advice! Only bad thing is the limited check in time, meant I had to fly to arrive within the check in times as the bus timetable doesn't work greatly around it if you're bussing from other cities! The rooms are really big, really modern and really clean! Highly recommend staying here :)

Sorry for the limited check-in hours, it can be difficult for different transportation schedules but as a small hostel with 18 dorm beds and 1 private room we simply can't afford to have staff for extended hours while maintaining a price that gives the guests great value. As we improve the building and build out more capacity we will extend the hours in the future in the mean time we hope guests will coordinate in advance and understand the $5 additional fee to offset the labor involved.

Stayed here for 2 nights during a trip to the Falls and it was amazing. Very modern, funky looking hostel with a really friendly, personable owner in Jeff who really is a great guy and has a great vision for the hostel. Dorm room of 6 was big and comfortable with plenty of space for luggage etc. Common area very good with TV, free fast WiFi, free tea/coffee and oatmeal for breakfast. Jeff is pretty relaxed and allows guests to bring in own food, drink and even alcohol which great.

Thanks for the positive feed back. I'm so glad you enjoyed your two days with us. It is so easy to be relaxed with courteous and responsible guests. I'm simply glad we got our new kitchen completed by September and now everyone can do so much more with food and drink and basically enjoy the common area to a greater degree.

Gorge view is a great hostel with a friendly environment. Be sure to get there at the agreed time as that is strictly enforced. It is close to the falls and a good nights sleep!

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and for letting potential future guests know what to expect. It was a pleasure having you. And yes I agree PLEASE either arrive during the regular check-in hours or coordinate with us for alternatives so we are prepared for you. This is the only way we can get everything done for all guests and minimize the labor hours and associated costs in order to provide more value to the guests. At the same time we try to be flexible and understanding.

The staff was hugely helpful to me during my stay. The atmosphere was very welcoming, and the facilities were impeccably clean. My only complaint was that in the girl's dorm on the first floor, the window in the bathroom would not shut completely, and as a result, the room got quite chilly during the night. However, I understand the building is undergoing renovations and I'm sure that will be addressed.

• 7th Sep 2014

Thank you for bringing this to our attention - it has been addressed. During our winter renovations we'll be improving all the Dorm bathrooms dramatically. We greatly appreciate our guests letting us know about mechanical defects so that we can address them soonest. The building is over 100 years old, we just purchased it this year... I promise with the help of guests we wont rest till at least full restoration. The building is historic, restoration will be heroic.

Great place to stay. About a 10minute walk from the falls. Owner is great and sociable and good with giving you advice on where to go. Make sure you don't wonder to far into the local neighborhood, mainly around the grocery shop, but apart from that. It's great.

At the end we did not stay on this hoste. The reason.... Well, our flight from Boston to Buffalo was delayed, so we called once we were arriving to Niagara to tell the guy in the reception that we were going to check in late, and he wanted to charge us 20 dollars more per person, at the end the total was going to be like 89 dollars, so with that amount of money we decided to stay in a hotel.

When guests coordinate in advance the late check-in fee is $5/booking. Without coordination, if your reservation is still available, the fee can be as high as $10/person as this causes us to react instead of plan and places additional stress on staff and families. Guests that require additional staff hours share the cost. Your airline failed you, and I understand it wasn't your fault but it was not ours either. We have been available at 3 am to check in guests that worked with us.

The hostel was close to the main attractions - the falls, Gorge trails, the aquarium, etc.. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my stay very much.

• 19th Aug 2014
  • Czech Republic

Awe - I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Of course Gorge View has a special affection for Czechs and it seems to be reciprocated. Sorry for the delayed response it was very busy right up to now. As we head into the slower winter months we'll be improving quite a few things. As you know, we'll be improving the building, facilities and property for years to come but thank you for helping us get started in our first year. Diki!

It was a great hostel and we really enjoyed our time there!

Thank you and sorry about the delay in response. I'm just catching my breath now after a busy first season for us. I truly am very very happy you enjoyed your time here, that's what we are aiming at. Our guests having a good experience, maximizing their time available to appreciate the natural beauty and wonder of the area and when they aren't doing that simply relaxing and enjoying their rest here at Gorge View. Your words are motivating thanks for sharing.

If you're staying to see the falls you should stay at Gorge View. The staff gave us great tips on places to eat, arrange the accommodations so my family could bunk together, gave excellent advice on exploring the area.

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Thanks for the praise. We had a wonderful first year all due to a truly great group of guests day after day. I'm glad we were able to accommodate you and your family. August turned out to be a banner month for us beating out any single month under former ownership across every metric. Having your family stay was just a great beginning for our August. Sorry for the delay in response but I felt it important to say thank you and catch up on important tasks I have neglected - Thanks again.

View all Niagara Falls Hostels