Grafton House Accommodation Reviews

6 Glenside Cresent, grafton, Auckland, New Zealand

This hostel got a really good price for 2 bed dorms (quiet night! Yeah!). I also liked the fridge in every room so no smelly leftover food from last decades. I would not recommend this hostel if you are travelling alone and keen to meet other people because of the atmosphere; seems to be more likely a place for working people then for just a few day stays; but i might be wrong. Also didnt like that the window wasnt openable, but wasnt too bad cause wasnt sticky though

I'm not your average backpacker I've been on the road for 5 years non stop. Although I have been to more messed up places. I booked for 3 days and stayed for 4hrs. Before changing hostels. You never want to walk into a dorm room that is so full of people stuff who clearly have been living in the same room for months. Even dirty pots and pans in and under there beds. They won't talk to you because they know your only here for a few days so why bother to even ask your name. Also far from the city.

Hi, i dont think you gave us a chance, some guests can be messy but we ask every guest to keep there belongings under there bed every morning when cleaning the rooms, any dishes that have been taken to the rooms (which is not allowed) are taken back to the kitchens during the clean. im sorry you had this experience but a giving our staff a chance they would have happily moved you rooms or upgraded. We are very central and within walking distance to K road, Ponsonby, and Queen st, Thanks

The showers on the first floor were not that good. There were cooking utensils, but they were shared between all floors so it was hard to find things and there was only one can opener that didn't work, so I had to open my can with a knife. The hostel was FREEZING.

• 16th May 2015

Hi, were sorry the hostel was too cold when you stayed, temperatures have dropped suddenly recently, we have now turned the heating up :) having 3 kitchens does mean the utensils sometimes end up in another, our staff go round every week to organize them all back again, we will have our brand new super kitchen and dining room up and running very soon, have a great trip

Need to improve cleaning

This was my last night in NZ and I'm sorry to say not a great hostel. The hostel itself was clean enough but the area felt really dodgy and unsafe:( There was a strange guy in my dorm (although this is not the hostels fault!) so I just felt uncomfortable here. The dorm was cramped with stuff -maybe due to people staying long term, I'm not sure. Sorry but wouldn't recommend.

I enjoyed staying at this hostel as I found it which wasn't a big problem. I came late and I could find my key very easily!! Top! People are chilled and it's very small. To less showers and toilets in each floor but alright.

• 25th Mar 2015

A nice hostel with a good standard of room, however not very central as it take about 20 minutes to get to queens street and the centre of Auckland. The walk is downhill there and uphill back, which is made worse with the shopping you have to carry as there is no close supermarket.

Great friendly and welcoming place to stay, people a genuine, the hostel is close to town, trains and buses.

No complaints! My bedroom was quite loud next to the highway but not too much to be done about that. Rooms were clean, staff was nice, it's not the fanciest hostel but was definitely a fine place.

Staff was nice and the location was convenient. But some downsides: high fees for using a credit card, a cash deposit for keys and a parking spot we thought we had reserved was unavailable. We had all 4 bunks in a 4 bunk room but someone's stuff was still in the room at check in and though we were told sheets would be in the room there were only 1 and a half sets for 4 bunks. The bathrooms were clean but those on our floor were almost always in use and one had to wait for them.

Hi, we are glad you enjoyed your stay in our hostel, unfortunately we were having some emergency works in the car park when you arrived and was unable to offer you a space. All hostels charge a key deposit as well as our reasonably small fee of 2% for credit card transactions. Bedding issues were sorted straight away, have a great trip from the Grafton House team

The staff was unfriendly and rude, not carrying phone on them and hard to get in touch plus unorganized, toilet paper missing in facilities and very average cleanliness, value for money definitely not worth it.

Internet was constantly down, staff was never in the office during office hours, whenever staff was in office they were not very helpful (texting on phone during conversation with you), place was very gross (especially the carpets), showers barely functioned. Not recommended.

• 9th Mar 2015

Awesome common area which is still in renovation but it's looks nicer every week. Very nice managers, they help out where ever they can. Good bathrooms, free wifi. Close to city center. Free BBQ on Thursdays which is very good to meet new people. Living room in each floor are very good. I'm definitely going to stay there again if I'm in Auckland.

• 26th Feb 2015

The hostel looks to be a converted office block, the central living area/lounge on the floor I stayed would have been a waiting room/reception or something, several of the dorm rooms had glass panels looking into the living area which had been covered with curtains. As hostels go it was not bad, not great but not horrible, just sort of middle of the road. However the curtains are thin light coloured and let a lot of light though from the central living area, which made it had to sleep.

• 13th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

I've been travelling for over 18 months and I can happily say that this is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed.So much so that I became a "long termer". The hostel is perfectly located just outside the busy CBD with great transport links. The guests it seems to attract are amazing people that you can form good friendships with. Some hostels are just concerned with making money, Grafton House Accommodation is run by 2 awesome guys who will do anything they can to help! Plus free wifi!!

• 2nd Feb 2015

Smelly rooms. Okay place...not great.

free wifi which was good, cleanliness level however not the best i've come accross so far. very small cramped room

bit of a walk to the centre and it feels more like someone's home than a hostel but not too bad.

Great hostel, very good price, safe and clean ! Big thanks to all the staff again ! I'll be back for sure next time I'm in Auckland.

• 27th Jan 2015

The small TV-room on 1st floor was awesome. They were doing some kind of renovation so the office was not up and running, which meant we had to wait around for the guy, but he was mostly quick to answer so was all good really. Not really located close to anything useful, except a nice thai food restaurant. We liked it well, would stay again.