Green Culture Eco Hostel Reviews

Rua Dr. João Guerra, Chapeu Mangueira, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Friendly and useful staff, wish you all the best!

At any time I felt secure in the streets and very welcome in the hostel. The staff is very friendly and speaks English, Spanish, Swedish and Portgues. I would recommend the hostel to anyone who wants to meet people and have opportunities to accompanied tours in the city.

Lovely hostel, The amazing staff Junior and Isabella made my visit really great. You can feed the monkeys that comes to the hostel, its really cool. The favela has plenty of nice restaurants & bars with cheap good food. I came alone to rio but i felt like one in the family.

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

Trying to get along with the monkeys on the balcony, sweeting my ass off while walking in the woods with isabella,( but totally worth it though because the view is marvelous, u see the crist and sugarloof), partying and stare at the bootyshaking at the favela party, got killed while testing thaibox in the favela but the short walk to copacabana beach made it easy to cool down after training oh yeah The staff took us to diffrents sightseeing stuff in rio, U find friends here thats why its good!

• 24th Jul 2014
  • Bahamas

Great atmosphere with great people , couldn't ask for better hostel, as a seasoned backpacker , this is a great choice . Cameron, Richard , dion

• 11th Jul 2014

Green Culture Eco Hostal was an awesome experience. The staff were super nice and fun to hangout with. There were tons of place to eat that are really close, and they are affordable too. The view of the city are also very beautiful.

• 7th Jul 2014

Green Culture make 'mingh sedundo casa' during the World Cup. Pablo, Junior and the crew there are a fantastic group - and make you feel incredibly welcome. Their place is high up in the pacified favela of Chapeu Mangueira - but don't worry, you'll always feel safe. Great places to eat nearby, and always something interesting happening. Most of all: I will miss the company of Pablo and the lads - great soulful people. I will be back. Couldn't recommend this place more.

Great place to stay! The hostel is only about a 10 minute walk from the beach/all the shops and whatnot. It is in a favela which people normally think are not safe however I stayed here for 9 days and never felt as though I was in danger. Although I would not recommend walking around alone in te wee hours of the night just as a precaution. The staff is awesome! Very welcoming and fun. They showed us on 2 local hikes which were lots of fun. The Hostel, physically, is alright.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Green Culture was by far my favorite place I stayed in Rio. I loved the experience of staying in the favela. It is very safe and has a great local community with tasty restaurants for much cheaper than you'll find in Copacabana. The hostel has an amazing view of Copacabana, and the beach is just a short walk away. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, just ask if you need anything and they'll be sure you're taken care of. Green Culture is a great place to stay and experience Rio.

• 27th Jun 2014

This hostel is incredibly unique in my travel experience, donut is hard to give a proper rating. It is located in a pacified favela, meaning it is a poorer neighborhood but is controlled by police rather than cartels, and quite frankly I felt safe here. The staff at the hostel are wonderful, Pablo just exudes this personality that you guys are old friends right away- so that the spartan accommodations and cold showers just seem to enhance the experience of being in this favela. Hope to return

The hostel is very basic but one cannot complain considering the price. Short walk to the beach and shops. Staff are all great guys and made us feel welcome. They know the area well and can tell you where the best spots are.

This hostel is in a favela! While this may be off-putting at first, don't let it get to you! The location is interesting. I felt safe walking through the favela any time if day or night. The food in the favela is also cheaper than any part of Copacabana. The staff here is the best part, they're all nice and helpful. My room was in the adjacent building and didn't have great ventilation. The bathrooms are odd and the electric showers are horrible. I would recommend this hostel for its novelty!

Staff was excellent! Very helpful and accomodating. They take you on excursions and to events. Only positive thing to say about them. The bathroom facilities were subpar and not that clean. The name would make you expect something very ecologically minded with plants and greenery, which is not what it is. The kitchen facilities make it hard to prepare good meals there. Still, it is great location. Would recommend it if you want a fun place and are not to concerned with the facilities

We call us Geenculture eco hostel because the spririt of the hostel is all about sustainibility and green thinking. Most of the hostel is built with recycled material and we sponsor and and are involved in several eco projekt in the favela. We are suranded of protected ecological reserve with beutiful trekking trails, we are really sorry that you missed that. Big hug! hope to see you again.

Up hill and hill! The location is not green like u thought. The room is very dusty. But the staffs are super nice and close.

We call us Geenculture eco hostel because the spririt of the hostel is all about sustainibility and green thinking. Most of the hostel is built with recycled material and we sponsor and and are involved in several eco projekt in the favela. We are suranded of protected ecoligical reserve that is verry green all year around with beutiful trekking trails, we are really sorry that you missed that.

Been traveling for 9 months and this is my favorite hostel I have been. The staff creates a fun, friendly and relaxing environment. The view from the patio looks over the city and beach. The location is perfect, just a short walk to the beach and city but yet enough away to enjoy some relaxation. The staff is great and really become your friends and help with everything needed. Plus they have great comfortable pillows.

• 12th Jun 2014

After travelling for 8 months, I finally had the feeling I arrived home. The place is basic, but in a perfect location (the beach is only 10 minutes walk) and the staff is amazing. It feels like a big grazy family and that all thanks to Pablo!

• 6th Jun 2014

Don't worry about the hostel being located in a pacified favela; everyone knows and respects pablo

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels