Green Culture Eco Hostel Reviews

Rua Dr. João Guerra, Chapeu Mangueira, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

What a perfect hostel! We stayed here for Carnival and the whole experience made our week beyond memorable. The atmosphere, staff and location make this hostel something you won't see again in South America and will make you want to come back every year. There have been reviews complaining about cleanliness and facilities but considering we stayed mid festivities the staff kept on top of everything so we can't complain. Thank you guys and we hope to see you all again!

Green Culture is an Awesome hostel with a beautiful community.. A bit of a hike to get to, but I loved the location with incredible views and people to make you feel welcome.

• 1st Feb 2016

I stayed here for two weeks and became really fond of it. The magic of the place is the atmosphere set by the owner, Pablo and his staff of backpackers. They are inclusive, ensuring all residents are invited out to various parties. Also their advice on places to visit and local tips was good. Wifi is excellent, supported Netflix and iplayer! View from lounge area great. It could be cleaner and rooms are cramped. However you're a five mins Copacabana. I'd recommend it.

I would not recommend this hostel. Though it was cheap the bathroom and kitchen area was filthy. I've traveled South America for 3 months and it was the most unclean place I stayed in. Staff were friendly but I found them to be lazy as the place could have been cleaner and people would check out and the beds only cleaned and remade hours later. Though its nice to stay in a favela keep in mind this hostel is on top of a very long hill. I also had to email several times before getting a response.

• 19th Jan 2016

Great location, nice staff felt safe. In the end you are staying in a favela so its not going to be brand new. But where it lacks in that it more than makes up for in character.

We had only hooked this hostel for night but wish we could have stayed longer, the staff were really friendly and the atmosphere was amazing. The chef cooked a vegetarian Moroccan stew for dinner which was cheap and one of the best meals we have eating in our 5 months of travels. The hostel isn't a far walk to copacabana and has a beautiful view!! We will be trying to go back.

The atmosphere in the hostel is cool, I've been there for two weeks. It's really close to the beach of Copacabana which is good if u spent just few hours there. the neighborhood is safe and the people are kind. Lot of traspoorts are availaable in 5 min walking. Yep! I suggest this hostel if you wanna fell good vibes..

• 14th Jan 2016

This hostel is the best place to stay in Rio. We only booked 3 night, but ended up staying for 2 weeks, and even visited the place almost everyday when we stayed somewhere else. This place was like our home during our stay in Brazil, and the Staff was our brazilin family. The area is very local with an autentic brazilian culture, and you have the most beautiful view from the hostel, and an atmosfere that you proberbly would't find anywhere else. It has everything you need. Amazing place

• 13th Jan 2016
  • Denmark

Great place.. Fantastic staff who are always willing to help and by the time you leave, you'll have had some great times with these guys! Very friendly fellow travellers. Location is safe, and the view is unbelievable. It is a no frills, real hostel with real people. If you want to experience Rio and have a traditional and welcoming place to head home to, in a friendly favela, head here!

• 10th Jan 2016

Great place and a nice staff

A hill to climb, but nice atmosphere close to Copacabana, party place ;) of you want to sleep... Hummm maybe not the palce :)

Although the facilities were average I gave it a good because it had a really nice terrace. Perfect for relaxing, reading, day dreaming , skyping etc. I stayed during Xmas and NYE so everywhere was expensive but outside of this period it's great value for money. As long as you know it's in a favela (which is safe and full of ambience) then embrace it and enjoy escaping the bubble that is Copacabana and Ipanema. Pablo, the manager is great. He is genuine and will take care of your needs!

• 23rd Dec 2015

We had such an awesome time with Pablo and the green hostel. The place is amazing and such an experience. The view is insane for the amount of money you pay. The local favela is full of atmosphere and friendly people and the local food is unbelievably cheap. The only thing that needs updating is the mattresses and bedding as they are old. Definitely go here for an experience you won't forget.

My friend and I enjoyed staying here. The atmosphere is amazing, the location is awesome. Close to the beach, to cheap favela bars. You feel comfortable in the area for sure. It's a nice little community, always stuff going on

Staying here was one of the best decisions we've made on our South American journey! Such a cool experience to stay in a pacified favela and guys in the hostel are so so great. Only here for 2 nights but Pablo and Wilma showed us such a fantastic time and even treated us to a delicious Brazilian BBQ free of charge. The Copacabana is only a short walk away and pretty much every tourist attraction is accessible by bus from here

Great place to be. The staff is so welcoming that you instantly feel like home. Not far from the beach and still you can feel local atmosphere sorrounding you . DefinetDefinetely coming back!

• 4th Nov 2015
  • Argentina

Pablo was so accommodating the hostel had a really nice family style vibe. its small enough so its very easy to socialise and chill. the upstairs chill put terrace has amazing views of copacbana beach and was a really nice place to relax. Pablo will go out of his way to help you with anything you need and the staff arranged nights out on the weekend to take us to Lapa. Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely come back.

This small, intermate, SAFE, family run hostel was the best hostel we stumbled across while in Brazil. We had only planned on staying 3 days and loved it so much that we ended up coming back 3 times! Pablo, Wilma Luna and the staff (from all over the world) are brilliant - They make a concious effort to get to know each and every one of their guests. We like to experience places "off the beaten track" and the staff at green culture showed us places that we otherwise wouldn't have gone. 10/10!!

Loved my time at Green Culture. Was a big part of my amazing experience in the wonderful city of Rio De Janeiro. Pablo, Wilma, Luna and the crew were incredibly friendly. It's a good mix of culture and party, in a hostel with a real family vibe. I highly recommend this hostel for a unique Rio experience within a picturesque favela hostel.

• 9th Oct 2015
  • New Zealand

I had the best time at this hostel! If I'm ever in Rio again, this is the place I will go to :)

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels