Green Culture Eco Hostel Reviews

Rua Dr. João Guerra, Chapeu Mangueira, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I loved it. From the first second on I felt like I was a part of the team. They took care of me and I tried to do the same for them. We went out together and even though I haven't planned a thing for my trip I've experienced fully packed couple of days. I am missing it already and can't wait to come back. The Favela is safe and fairly close to the beach. I loved to spend every spare moment in the hammocks with the best possible view over Copacabana. See you soon Pablo, Isabella and Junior!

• 17th Nov 2014

Go with an open heart. Many awesome activities on offer. Copacabana, ipanema, lapa steps. Pretty beautiful

• 15th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Friendly and useful staff, wish you all the best!

At any time I felt secure in the streets and very welcome in the hostel. The staff is very friendly and speaks English, Spanish, Swedish and Portgues. I would recommend the hostel to anyone who wants to meet people and have opportunities to accompanied tours in the city.

Lovely hostel, The amazing staff Junior and Isabella made my visit really great. You can feed the monkeys that comes to the hostel, its really cool. The favela has plenty of nice restaurants & bars with cheap good food. I came alone to rio but i felt like one in the family.

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

Trying to get along with the monkeys on the balcony, sweeting my ass off while walking in the woods with isabella,( but totally worth it though because the view is marvelous, u see the crist and sugarloof), partying and stare at the bootyshaking at the favela party, got killed while testing thaibox in the favela but the short walk to copacabana beach made it easy to cool down after training oh yeah The staff took us to diffrents sightseeing stuff in rio, U find friends here thats why its good!

• 24th Jul 2014
  • Bahamas

Great atmosphere with great people , couldn't ask for better hostel, as a seasoned backpacker , this is a great choice . Cameron, Richard , dion

• 11th Jul 2014

Green Culture Eco Hostal was an awesome experience. The staff were super nice and fun to hangout with. There were tons of place to eat that are really close, and they are affordable too. The view of the city are also very beautiful.

• 7th Jul 2014

Green Culture make 'mingh sedundo casa' during the World Cup. Pablo, Junior and the crew there are a fantastic group - and make you feel incredibly welcome. Their place is high up in the pacified favela of Chapeu Mangueira - but don't worry, you'll always feel safe. Great places to eat nearby, and always something interesting happening. Most of all: I will miss the company of Pablo and the lads - great soulful people. I will be back. Couldn't recommend this place more.

Great place to stay! The hostel is only about a 10 minute walk from the beach/all the shops and whatnot. It is in a favela which people normally think are not safe however I stayed here for 9 days and never felt as though I was in danger. Although I would not recommend walking around alone in te wee hours of the night just as a precaution. The staff is awesome! Very welcoming and fun. They showed us on 2 local hikes which were lots of fun. The Hostel, physically, is alright.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Green Culture was by far my favorite place I stayed in Rio. I loved the experience of staying in the favela. It is very safe and has a great local community with tasty restaurants for much cheaper than you'll find in Copacabana. The hostel has an amazing view of Copacabana, and the beach is just a short walk away. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, just ask if you need anything and they'll be sure you're taken care of. Green Culture is a great place to stay and experience Rio.

• 27th Jun 2014

This hostel is incredibly unique in my travel experience, donut is hard to give a proper rating. It is located in a pacified favela, meaning it is a poorer neighborhood but is controlled by police rather than cartels, and quite frankly I felt safe here. The staff at the hostel are wonderful, Pablo just exudes this personality that you guys are old friends right away- so that the spartan accommodations and cold showers just seem to enhance the experience of being in this favela. Hope to return

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels