Green Culture Eco Hostel Reviews

Rua Dr. João Guerra, Chapeu Mangueira, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This hostel offeres a view of Rio not often experienced. Those willing or wanting to put aside the the wonderful but crazy and fast paced parts of the city can end up enjoying what I found to be a very heartfelt And relaxing paradise. The location alone proves an experience worth any efforts, but the staff and atmosphere are the true gems of this hostel. I recommend highly a stay, possible after you've gotten you're partying done with. Thanks Pablo and family/staff! I will be back!!

• 19th Jul 2015
  • US Virgin Islands

This is easily, one of my favourite hostel experiences in my years of travelling! An excellent hostel with wonderful people, in a superbly friendly and cool favela. And the beach was just a walk down the hill! Pablo was superb, he was friendly, helpful a great host, and ensured all our needs were met. I had an issue of an overcharge in my credit card and Pablo had it resolved in lightning speed - thank you! And thank you everyone at Green Culture Eco Hostel - you left great memories for me!

It was my first time to stay in a hostel and Green Culture exceeded my expectations not just because of its good location but also because of the people I get to interact with. People had a lot of stories to share and you'd just be amazed hearing them all. And also, this hostel has a very cozy ambiance and a relaxing vibe with all its hammocks. I had a really great time and I'll be coming back without a doubt. Thank you!

Such a great hostel, you would be crazy to miss it! Chilled vibes and great genuine people. The favelea is safe and great location, beach & supermarket 10 mins away. Really hope to be back soon !!

Friendliest, most relaxed and greatest hostel I have ever stayed at!! And that;s saying a lot:-)

• 18th Jun 2015

Great vibes and Really friendly and helpfull stuff and owners who made My staying in rio a great experience. We Were even all out together, had nice BBQ and so on. Felt At home, comfortable, chill, clean and exciting. Location is awesome since you Are only a stroll Down to The beach but still get to experience a beautifull and peacefull favela wish was probably The best thing and most authentic with My trip to Rio. Will definitely go back and stay At Green culture. Miss it already!

• 6th May 2015
  • Sweden

Best Thing: Location!!! Going to Rio means you'll talk and hear about favelas. So why not staying in a Hostel, owner-operated, self-constructed with recycled materials, fantastic ocean-view and friendly well-travelled hosts Pablo and Wilma in Chapeau-Mangueira (a Favela). Must do in Rio! Only one tiny little downside: a bit to much staff... Cheers guys

What can I say best hostel that i stayed so far and maybe in all my life , Pablo and the stuff are super friendly, you will feel like in a big family start from the beginning, the view is ambelivable, the kitchen have everything you need and when I say that trust me I'm a chef so I really care about it! The locatio is super good in this friendly favela people are very nice.... Thax a lot greenculture

• 20th Mar 2015

This is great little hostel. The location lets you experience rio for real. The staff is really nice and everyone is social. A bit of a boys club at times though...

Absolutely loved this hostel for so many reasons- its up there with one of the best hostel experiences I've ever had. For people who want a great experience of Rio, the area is vibrant, friendly and considerably cheaper than its neighbors. Very centrally located and a few minutes walk from the beach! Pablo and Wilma are wonderful and truly ready to help with anything, you will feel so much more at home than in any standard hostel. Hostel itself is always spotless with the most incredible view!

The location is good as if's in a great favela, 15min walk to the beach down a steep hill. The owner is very nice and the wifi works great. This is however a basic hostel in size an amenities. It could benefit from better cleaning. Overall a good experience

We are glad we spent a night there. We had an awesome barbecue and met loads of people, the owner is awesome. Close to Copacabana as well. The living spaces are very cramped and and so are the communal areas so wouldn't recommend if your staying for more than a couple of nights though. A cool xperience in pacified favela though.

great place to stay, quite a trek to get to but you feel a part of the friendly favela community upon arrival. the atmosphere is a mix of relaxation and fun, an amazing view from the treehouse type common area. Pablo was helpful and generous, felt like a family. and the best WiFi connection I've had so far! extremely hot in the dorm rooms,but it was summer time, so to be expected.

What a great place! Toootally recommend it if you want to feel at home, have good fun, with great atmosphere, partying or relaxing on a hammock looking at Rio's nice sea. Pablo and all his crew are amazing, all helpfull and caring. Place is clean and very comfortable. Coming back for sure!

Excellent hostel, really good view over the city & 2 minute walk from copacobana beach. Pablo & all the staff can not do enough to help you with anything you need including a guided walk to the excellent view point from the top of the favella. I would highly recommend this hostel!

• 28th Jan 2015

I've had a splended time here, the location is great! Only 5 minutes to go to the beach, the people were fun and u really felt like "home" . The staff took us on diffrent trips, waterpark, hikes up to the christ and my personal favourite, they took us to Lapa wich was so mych fun, its a famous street party but with clubs along the street.

• 14th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

We had an awesome time here. Pablo is an amazing host: kind, interesting and chilled. He does some amazing walks around Rio. The social areas are great to relax in and chat to the other very nice guests that are staying there. We loved the location in this pacified favela, which was a ten minute walk or so from the beach. There's a hill to get there, but you can get a cheap moto taxi up it (although we enjoyed the walk!) The bedrooms have fans and the bathrooms are super clean too.

I have been to many hostels around the world and for me this has to have been the best. The people were awesome, the view was amazing, and I've never felt more comfortable. It felt like I was staying at a friends house with all my other friends. I would definitely recommend staying here.

I loved it. From the first second on I felt like I was a part of the team. They took care of me and I tried to do the same for them. We went out together and even though I haven't planned a thing for my trip I've experienced fully packed couple of days. I am missing it already and can't wait to come back. The Favela is safe and fairly close to the beach. I loved to spend every spare moment in the hammocks with the best possible view over Copacabana. See you soon Pablo, Isabella and Junior!

• 17th Nov 2014

Go with an open heart. Many awesome activities on offer. Copacabana, ipanema, lapa steps. Pretty beautiful

• 15th Nov 2014