Green Elephant Reviews

57 Milton Road, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa

So glad I decided for the Green Elephant as my first Cape Town hostel, so much I booked it again when I returned to Cape Town . Great location and very frinedly staff which makes you feel at home directly, especiall thanks to Edwina . Loved the garden bar where always nice interesting people hang out good selection of craft beers and the pool. Both my rooms were good, clean and nice painted walls and f Also the Observatory area is a great part of CT , with good restaurants and vintage shops

Although away from the prime sightseeing of the city centre, this hostel and its nearby buildings is a fantastic set-up. Incredible staff and comfortable facilities. Highly recommend.

Nice atmosphere and staff willing to help when needed. However, according to Hostelworld I should not have had to pay the amount I paid to do the reservation, and I paid it.

• 16th Jan 2015
  • Spain

Great place! Nice people and good facilities! Il be back!!!

Definitely the best choice in obz. Staff is really good !

• 10th Oct 2014

For us the hostel was very convenient because we knew somebody in the area. For other poeple it might be a bit far out. We didn't use much of the facilities as we were in the second house and often out with friends. The second house is two streets down from the original backpackers and has private rooms, nice for families and couples who pike to have their privacy but if you want the real backpacker fealing make sure you stay in the main house.

Awesome place to stay, the staff were amazing and incredibly friendly and helpful. I found it a bit far from the waterfront/CBD/long street but otherwise was pretty awesome

Green Elephant Backpackers gave me the best start to my trip around South Africa! As soon as we arrived we were made welcome by Nyasha on the front desk. We straight away signed up for a hike up Table Mountain, which Nyasha guided himself, and had the best trip! He was continually helpful throughout our time, and although we only spent three nights here, we will definitely be back in the future! Green Elephant is a clean, friendly hostel which has everything you need as a backpacker!

• 27th Apr 2014
  • markeyjessica
  • Wales

It has been wonderful at green elephant. Everyone is so nice and we felt right at home there. Many thanks to Nyasha, Marlon and Olwethu, and to all the rest as well.

• 2nd Mar 2014
  • Belgium

Nyasha and the crew were very helpful and super friendly. Made my short stay in Cape Town a good one. Thanks Guys, Marlon.

Old house (3-4 of them) that is freshened up and each house only has a few (4) rooms which are pleasantly large. Good kitchen and decent lounge, free (and working) wi-fi. Best is the friendly staff.

Very cool place. Friendly front office staff, lively crowds. 7 min walk to the Observatory train station or a bus into Cape Town's CBD. Good bar prices, comfy enough beds and hot showers. Overall, I was happy.

The best hostel ever :)

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Slovenia

Cannot recommend a better hostel, they arrange pick up from the airport which for me was 130r, so cheap for the distance. The staff is friendly and curious, and on Thursdays they have pizza night! 150r for all you can eat. There is easy access to cape town via taxi bus; 6r! The staff is amazing, edwina helped arrange me arrange my 21 day safari and even got me a discount! They also love the night life, and ganish in obz is not to be missed, cannot recommend the green elephant more...

Dear GE crew, me and my father would like to thank you again for hosting us in the place. You guys are very nice and infect with positive energy. That was a good time we spent in Green Ele, having opportunity to meet all those great people. Thank you to all of you and especially to Jeffrey who could pass us all his God related experience. I hope to see you guys some day, maybe in Poland. You do a great job providing people with accommodation. Please do not change never. Let God bless you all.

Great, friendly atmosphere!!

Excellent stay. Friendly staff who where very helpful and informative. great atmosphere. clean and comfy rooms. Good location in relation in Obz, and easy taxi ride to the city :)

• 22nd Apr 2013
  • South Africa

I booked for six days and ended up staying 3 weeks! This hostel makes you feel home away from home.

• 2nd Apr 2013

I loved the Green Elephant. It was a perfect location. We stayed in their Wesley House. It was quiet, clean, Mavis was a little angel. If I ever return to South Africa, I know where I am going and I would recommend it to anyone.

• 21st Mar 2013

I did enjoy my stay there. I liked the warm welcome and the friendliness of the staff.

• 5th Feb 2013