Green Tortoise Hostel Reviews

494 Broadway, San Francisco, USA

I've stayed in a lot of hostels, and this is quite possibly the best one ever. It is a little pricy, though standard for US hostels. It has an amazing free breakfast, wonderful hot showers, comfy beds, good storage lockers, and an awesome chill out room. They have regular fun activities that i loved. They are in an excellent location, walking distance to the financial district, fishermans wharf and embarcadero. There staff were super helpful and they even have a sauna! Definitely stay there.

very nice! free meals 3 times a week and fun activities organised by the staff. The sauna is nice and the locker is big. Near Chinatown and NorthBeach and great bars and restaurantsaround. :)

The location is excellent for night life, and generally close to all kinds of tourist activities. It can be a bit loud (unsurprisingly) so this isn't the ideal place to stay if you're not a fan partying, loud noise and craziness. Also, in order to ensure security, guests are not allowed so if you're staying with people you want them staying in the same place as you. Shower shoes are a necessity. Great stay overall! Lots of great sponsored activities!

It is advertised as and is most definitely a party hostel, so if you want a peaceful and quiet time, not the place for you. I was impressed by the activities they had on offer, such as cheap eats and free dinners. Staff were incredibly helpful and they are happy to book things for you.

this Hostel Made my One Day stay in San Francisco !!! Loved it, cool people, good vibes!!

• 21st Jan 2016

The staff was super friendly, it was clean, and a good base to get out and see the city and all the grime and grit that comes with it. Had a pleasant stay!

• 20th Jan 2016

Has a good vibe here. Central to a lot of SF attractions. Just don't be coming home alone at night girls, because the hostel is nestled between strip joints. During the day its perfectly fine, just exercise common sense at night. I loved the activities the hostel hosted, and as a lone traveller, they were a great way for me to meet people. The only downside was that i could feel every single spring in my bed. I even got bruises on my hips from them...

We had a really great stay (and the free dinner was a very good surprise)!

• 18th Jan 2016

Staff were laid back and pretty well informed. There was a great atmosphere throughout, encouraged by the excellent lounge facility.

Loved it! Although San Fran is beautiful - the Green Tortoise, the staff and the travelers we met there - by far were the highlight of our holiday!

• 5th Jan 2016
  • Mixed Group, 41+

I have to say, the staff in green tortoise is the best staff I've ever met! All of them are friendly and ready to help. The location is perfect for me. It's between little Italy and Chinatown, 15 minutes to pier39 or fisherman wharf. The bookstore city light is just 2 blocks away. They provide free dinner 3 times per week and events every night, where you can meet many friends:) In one word, I love SF the city, partly because of this hostel:)

Amazing stay for 5 days. Great mix of folks from around the country/world and the staff was incredibly friendly, helpful and knowledgable about the area. Really liked the planned events, as they helped bring a lot of the travelers out of their shells (including my own). Perfect blend of party hostel and peaceful refuge to satisfy all moods.

• 29th Dec 2015

Great staff, very good environment! We could only make it to one of the free dinners and everyone was super nice and it was great fun! Thank you!

• 12th Dec 2015
  • Portugal

Great hostel! We stayed in a private room in the annex building. It was quiet, romantic, and had a great view.

The atmosphere and location was great. Bathrooms clean. The beds are the worst I have experienced at a hostel. One night was too much!

• 7th Dec 2015

I absolutely commend the staff. They are probably the friendliest and most helpful people in the USA! I loved that they turned a bad situation into something not so bad. Fiona is a jewel. The guy who helped me with my misplaced item on one evening started out helpful, but got obnoxious and unfriendly at the end of the conversation almost accusing my room mates of taking my stuff. It was found (misplaced) but he should practice better listening skills and less arguing.Excellent breakfast.

Very clean place and friendly staff. Alright location quite central to everything. Not much of an atmosphere going on at the time we were here but I feel like it may have just been an out of luck type of thing.

It would be nice if they put curtains over each bunk like the green tortoise in seattle. Other than that. Super awesome!

This hostel is really cool and located in a safe and central location near Chinatown. Staff are really helpful and friendly, and give out good advice. There were events on every night and they were really fun although never as good value for money as they claimed to be! I had lots of fun at this hostel, met lovely people and the free breakfast was good. I'd definitely stay here if I returned to San Fransisco and I'd highly recommend it if you are sociable and want to meet fellow travellers.

This is the king of hostels! Best hostel iv ever been to! Wether you want a quiet break or to party, this is the place to be!

View all San Francisco Hostels