Green Tulip House Reviews

85 Samlan Road, Chiang Mai, Thailand

This is a really great hostel in Chiang Mai. The staff is very friendly and helps with all your needs. The location is great since everything is such a close walk. This street also has amazing street food!

• 25th Mar 2015

This was the cleanest hostel I've ever been in my entire life! Beds comfy, atmosphere calm

The Green Tulip is outstanding value for money. It is clean, tidy, secure and with very friendly staff. The lady in charge could not be more helpful. She runs a tight ship with her staff, to the benefit f the customers. The Hostel is in the south west corner of the old walled city and it is only a walk to the south east corner, so facilities are easily available. The ooms are adequately furnished and as ever you get what you pay for.

• 10th Mar 2015

amazing hostel! showers are sooooo nice!! not close to much but lovely staff!

The staff at GTH are excellent! They're very attentive to guests' needs.

• 28th Feb 2015

I was disappointed with our 3-night stay given the reviews. Firstly it is situated in an area of town with few facilities and the main areas of Chiang Mai are 15-20 minutes walk. But the my main concern is the rooms providing little chance of sleep - very thin curtains and noise from a machine on the roof, it is like torture. And there is no atmosphere with the communal area closed from 10pm.

Has to be the best in Chiang Mai. Private room seems hotel worthy and the building seems more solid than what I'm used to in Thailand. Best showers in the country. And indeed Stella is a great host, despite the hard sell on some of the tours.

The owner Stella is the best! She is so helpful, nice and super fun! She was able to answer any questions that we had and she booked all of our tours/tuk tuks. I got a slight cold while during my stay and she gave me Tylenol and made me porridge to help my stomach. The hostel area was a little far from the bar area but it wasn't a problem. The whole hostel is really colorful and clean and the rooftop was a nice place to hang out. We also met some great people - highly recommend!

Very nice staff, always so friendly and so helpful! it was a pleasure to stay here - hope I 'll be back one day!

Excellent hostel! Awesome staff, even more the lady in charge! she's the best! They help you out with all the activities that are possible in Chiang Mai, from elephant riding to mountain biking. Really clean hostel!. 100% Recommended!...

Green Tulip House was a very warm and welcoming hostel. Came into it with open arms! Stella, Doug and their family are the sweetest! The room that I stayed in was clean, the bathroom was probably the cleanest bathroom out of the hostels I've ever been in (plus!). I hoped that there was a common lounge area that was open 24/7. However, with that said, it did encourage us to go out and explore the bars and restaurants at night. Thank you again Green Tulip House!

• 7th Feb 2015

The reason that this rating is lower than it could have been is due to the behaviour of the older gentleman that worked at the desk. As I spoke to a red cab driver outside the premises, about the possibility of perhaps hiring him to go to one tourist spot, the man came running out from the desk shouting at me, telling me not to talk to this cab driver and saying that he could organize a tour for me. I thought he was going to grab me, he was so angry. This is harassment and not acceptable.

You both was having breakfast and suddenly it was your wife that was rushing out to stop the red taxi which was about to go which we had arrange for a guest to go to the airport. She was holding up the driver whom i asked that he did not understand of what she was asking and i told her that she could speak to me for her to go where even she need to go and arrange for her. It was you both that were angry,shouted and scolded at me for nothing which i was helping you up!

The staff were amazingly kind and helpful and seemingly able to answer any question and solve any problem. Thanks! It is a great pity that so many of the guests keep slamming doors despite the notices telling them to be quiet. This, added to the traffic noise, meant that my sleep was often disturbed. The fact that my room had a common door with the adjoining room compounded the problem. I'm not sure a room can be described as 'private' if it has a door that communicates with another room.

Douglas and Stella run Green Tulip very efficiently. They manage a very capable, helpful and friendly team who provided delicious meals and kept the hostel exceptionally clean. We had read that previous visitors felt uncomfortable with staff members pushing trips and outings. However, we never experienced that, but were always immediately helped with any arrangements re tours or taxis. They have an excellent recipe which will bring them much success for a long time.

Great hostel, great staff. Stayed in private room for 2 nights (worth it) and 4-person room for 2 nights with a jungle trek in between. Stella and the rest of her staff are extremely helpful and honest :) Also good cheap food in the restaurant downstairs- recommended to anyone staying in Chiang Mai!

I liked the room and the hostel itself but I didn´t like the staff specially and not the atmosphere either. It irritated me to see warnings about having to pay fine if there was lotion in the sheets. And one night a person from the staff knocked on my door - I got the feeling she was checking if I was smoking or something - at least there was nothing she said when I opened. Stella had promised to tell me what to see in Chiang Mai but she just pointed at 3 temples on the map and that was it.

Staff are quality. Rooms are very clean and comfy. Walls are thin so noise is kept to minimum and no chance of guests in room. Good and cheap food available on site. Would defentatly stay again for comfortable rest stop.

• 12th Jan 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The staff was amazingly helpful with tour suggestions, booking tours, suggested what's the best area and activities to see and do in Chiangmai and made our trip easy and enjoyable. The location is not very far from the city life and was safe to walk back late at night with friends. My friends and I recommend this hostel because we came with no set itinerary and came out having a great Chiangmai experince.

Staff were amazingly helpful, always there giving advice, keen to organise side trips and having a laugh with the guests Also a good location

Very welcoming. Stella (jack of all trades) was awesome and can help with anything because her English is very good. Decent location. Room were clean and had two lockable drawers for goods. AC helped in the hots days/nights. Only thing is I think could come down about 5-10$ a night. Otherwise we recommend!