Green Tulip House Reviews

85 Samlan Road, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Has to be the best in Chiang Mai. Private room seems hotel worthy and the building seems more solid than what I'm used to in Thailand. Best showers in the country. And indeed Stella is a great host, despite the hard sell on some of the tours.

The owner Stella is the best! She is so helpful, nice and super fun! She was able to answer any questions that we had and she booked all of our tours/tuk tuks. I got a slight cold while during my stay and she gave me Tylenol and made me porridge to help my stomach. The hostel area was a little far from the bar area but it wasn't a problem. The whole hostel is really colorful and clean and the rooftop was a nice place to hang out. We also met some great people - highly recommend!

Very nice staff, always so friendly and so helpful! it was a pleasure to stay here - hope I 'll be back one day!

Excellent hostel! Awesome staff, even more the lady in charge! she's the best! They help you out with all the activities that are possible in Chiang Mai, from elephant riding to mountain biking. Really clean hostel!. 100% Recommended!...

Green Tulip House was a very warm and welcoming hostel. Came into it with open arms! Stella, Doug and their family are the sweetest! The room that I stayed in was clean, the bathroom was probably the cleanest bathroom out of the hostels I've ever been in (plus!). I hoped that there was a common lounge area that was open 24/7. However, with that said, it did encourage us to go out and explore the bars and restaurants at night. Thank you again Green Tulip House!

• 7th Feb 2015

The reason that this rating is lower than it could have been is due to the behaviour of the older gentleman that worked at the desk. As I spoke to a red cab driver outside the premises, about the possibility of perhaps hiring him to go to one tourist spot, the man came running out from the desk shouting at me, telling me not to talk to this cab driver and saying that he could organize a tour for me. I thought he was going to grab me, he was so angry. This is harassment and not acceptable.

You both was having breakfast and suddenly it was your wife that was rushing out to stop the red taxi which was about to go which we had arrange for a guest to go to the airport. She was holding up the driver whom i asked that he did not understand of what she was asking and i told her that she could speak to me for her to go where even she need to go and arrange for her. It was you both that were angry,shouted and scolded at me for nothing which i was helping you up!

The staff were amazingly kind and helpful and seemingly able to answer any question and solve any problem. Thanks! It is a great pity that so many of the guests keep slamming doors despite the notices telling them to be quiet. This, added to the traffic noise, meant that my sleep was often disturbed. The fact that my room had a common door with the adjoining room compounded the problem. I'm not sure a room can be described as 'private' if it has a door that communicates with another room.

Douglas and Stella run Green Tulip very efficiently. They manage a very capable, helpful and friendly team who provided delicious meals and kept the hostel exceptionally clean. We had read that previous visitors felt uncomfortable with staff members pushing trips and outings. However, we never experienced that, but were always immediately helped with any arrangements re tours or taxis. They have an excellent recipe which will bring them much success for a long time.

Great hostel, great staff. Stayed in private room for 2 nights (worth it) and 4-person room for 2 nights with a jungle trek in between. Stella and the rest of her staff are extremely helpful and honest :) Also good cheap food in the restaurant downstairs- recommended to anyone staying in Chiang Mai!

I liked the room and the hostel itself but I didn´t like the staff specially and not the atmosphere either. It irritated me to see warnings about having to pay fine if there was lotion in the sheets. And one night a person from the staff knocked on my door - I got the feeling she was checking if I was smoking or something - at least there was nothing she said when I opened. Stella had promised to tell me what to see in Chiang Mai but she just pointed at 3 temples on the map and that was it.

Staff are quality. Rooms are very clean and comfy. Walls are thin so noise is kept to minimum and no chance of guests in room. Good and cheap food available on site. Would defentatly stay again for comfortable rest stop.

• 12th Jan 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The staff was amazingly helpful with tour suggestions, booking tours, suggested what's the best area and activities to see and do in Chiangmai and made our trip easy and enjoyable. The location is not very far from the city life and was safe to walk back late at night with friends. My friends and I recommend this hostel because we came with no set itinerary and came out having a great Chiangmai experince.

Staff were amazingly helpful, always there giving advice, keen to organise side trips and having a laugh with the guests Also a good location

Very welcoming. Stella (jack of all trades) was awesome and can help with anything because her English is very good. Decent location. Room were clean and had two lockable drawers for goods. AC helped in the hots days/nights. Only thing is I think could come down about 5-10$ a night. Otherwise we recommend!

Though the rooms and atmosphere were fantastic, the best part of Green Tulip House was the staff. Stella was incredibly helpful in ensuring we enjoyed our stay. She booked our tours and directed us to nearby places to eat. The location is not too far from the airport, but we did not find much to do within walking distance. We didn't want to leave!

Stella and her husband who run the place are delightful and extremely helpful! We stayed here with our family (2 20 something kids) and it was perfect for us. Most of the guests there were in there 20's and 30's but we still loved it. Stella will eagerly arrange all your day trips and excursions for you so take advantage of this. Great place and would stay there again!

• 28th Dec 2014
  • Couple, 41+

We had a wonderful time at Green tulip. Very good value for money and very clean. Staff was wonderful and had great recommendations on where to go.

• 26th Dec 2014

I stayed for 5 days in a private suite on the third floor. My room was below the cistern located on the roof and I would continuously hear the cistern/water. The hostel, otherwise, was clean and well priced. Stella spends time to get to know you and help you plan activities. It may feel like a sale at times but take your time and make sure to do your own research.

• 9th Dec 2014

The service was very good & the staff was very nice/helpful. I wish the lady was a bit more open about the elephant training because I didn't realize the elephants were in chains when I got there. She didn't give me the choice of going to the elephant nature park which was what I really wanted. There's disturbing noise (I think coming up from the roof) every day. I wish there's a common area to sit in the evening to meet other travelers. The rooftop area was uninviting to hang out (dark).

• 9th Dec 2014

Great stay, great staff. Stayed 3 nights, then again for one night on our way back through chiang Mai on our way to cambodia, two different rooms. Both were clean quiet and secure. Very helpful and friendly staff.

• 28th Nov 2014