Greenhouse Backpacker Reviews

Level 6, 228 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Australia

I loved my stay at Greenhouse. The hostel was clean, secure, and in a great location. The only downfall was how poorly the reception treated me when I arrived and checked out.

The hostel was not particularly clean, and at best it was stuffy as the only windows are in the bedrooms and so the hallways and bathrooms are not very well ventilated. I didn't like the atmosphere either. The locations was good, but other than that I wouldn't rave about this hostel.

Perfect location, loved the rooftop area and common rooms. Staff weren't particularly interested, but not rude. For the price, an excellent place to stay in the city, and I would definitely stay again!

The bathrooms are extremely dirty, especially on Sunday evening. Public toilets are cleaner! This is an absolute no-go, I have never been to a hostel with such dirty wet rooms/toilets. Beds are comfortable, staff is friendly and helpful, washing & drying is expensive

Great location, reasonable price, free tea/ coffee, free wifi, rooms good size, maybe just a bit big of a hostel for my liking, but would recommend it to others wanting a great city location!!

I found the rooms very hot and stuffy. Too noisy outside to keep the window open. Lights are way to bright in the rooms. Tv room is great but the kitchen was always a complete mess with filthy cutlery and stinking bins full of rubbish. Most of reception staff were friendly enough except for one girl who I found very rude on checking out. She didn't like being interrupted in her conversation with another guest so basically tossed me a pen and told me to sign out with no respect.

The bathrooms could use an extra clean per.day, plus a bin other than the one for sanitary napkins. Other than that, quite a good spot!

• 31st Aug 2015

Had a good stay, except the guys bathrooms on level 4 smelt really awful... could have just been that night though!

Top bunk needs shelf for glasses phone etc

It was in a great location. I spent a lot of time walking around the city. I did not spend a lot of time inside the hostel. It was a great place to stay for a few nights while I was in transition, looking for a longer term of stay and more private amenities. I appreciated the free breakfast they offered and was lucky to experience a Family Dinner Night. It felt like a very secure place.

• 27th Jul 2015

Great hostel in the center of the city, so it's really easy to get around. Bedrooms and toilets were clean. Staff was really helpful and friendly and the free breakfast was good! The only negative point is that the wifi works only at the reception. Would definitely recommend it!

great located and always very clean. staff is great, and so is the free luggage storage!

Warm and cozy hostel ever Perfect location and security (just upstairs of police station)

The location was good but that was about it... The staff were rude and not helpful, when asking local information the answer was often 'Google it' The room was clean likewise were the toilet / shower facilities. The atmosphere in the hostel in general was strange, very little talk and people were happy to do almost everything alone. The travel argent within the hostel was very good, however the trips are cheaper when booked direct through the tour operators (extras are inc)

• 6th Jul 2015

Rooms were big and spacious. There are lockers but signs reporting not to use them. You can keep valuables in reception but it's not locked. Internet was slow and reset a lot and it DOES NOT work in the rooms, only in lounge area. I'm pretty sure only the floors are cleaned in the bathroom at there was moss growing in the shower and the toilet seats were crusty. The walls in the room were filthy, who knows what was smeared all over. I had heard good reviews and was sorely disappointed.

Location is awesome and staff lovely cheap rooms and beds great place

The hostel was too big and commercial for my liking. There was very little atmosphere and it felt a bit hostile due to a large number of long termers. On a plus side, there was a free breakfast and wifi, the rooms and bathrooms were clean and the staff was helpful. The biggest highlight for me was their morning walking tour - it was a great introduction to Melbourne and the girl who ran it was lovely!