Greenhouse Backpacker Reviews

Level 6, 228 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Best location, you'll find lots of caffes just around the corner, federation square 2min. Good matrace and clean bathrooms. Private rooms were without windows, felt like being in a prison. Dorms must be better, private rooms are not worth the money. You can find cheaper rooms in good, average hotels in town.

Lovely hostel and nice to see one so keen on saving the environment and recycling, etc. Rooms were nice and showers/toilets clean. Breakfast was a little basic but free so that was understandable. Some of the staff however I found a bit rude. I asked one at reception for the nearest doctor as I had been feeling really unwell and was given the reply of 'Can't you just go to the pharmacy, doctor is expensive'. Thank God I didn't listen to her as I was diagnosed, by the DOCTOR, with pneumonia!

the hostel is in a great location!! Internet didn't work in the rooms and was always down in the common area though

Good staff and facilities, has lots of activities weekly. Free breakfast and wifi. But toilets and kitchen need to clean more often.

Great place to stay right in the heart of Melbourne near Flinders St Station. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• 15th Mar 2014

This hostel is fantastic location. Great facilities, clean shower rooms and clean rooms. Our room layout was great with lockers to lock away your valuables and shelves to unload your backpack. Comfortable beds. The only downfall with Greenhouse backpackers is the kitchen, the people don't care at all and its disgusting, dirty dishes line the sides, food splattered in the sinks, just dirty. The employees need to enforce some strict rules to stop it getting so bad!

The hostel is in a very good location but there is no atmosphere in the place. No one talks to each other so isn't great for meeting new people. Good place to stay if your only needing a night or two and want a central location. Free wifi is also pretty poor but thats fairly normal in a hostel. Girls toilets are also a bit grubby!

• 1st Mar 2014

I didn't really enjoy my stay here due to noise every night from people coming back drunk (there is no curfew). The rooms without windows are not particularly enjoyable to stay in but at least you don't hear any noise from the street. However, excellent location and staff are helpful. So if you want to be central on a budget I would recommend this place, but be sure to take earplugs! :-D enjoy Melbourne, it's a great city!!

It's not that bad for a short stay, but the staff was unfriendly, It's seems they don't like their job and the room has no window.

Great location, kitchen was spacious. Showers & toilets were decent. Rooms were very dark with no windows. Couldn't connect to the wifi even with a free password, but I found a computer available so it wasn't too bad. I didn't use other facilities so I can't comment on those.

There was a youngish girl with brown hair at the reception who was SO rude. We really didn't understand her attitude. And she was just as, if not more rude, when we checked out so it's not like she was just having one bad day. She really ruined our staff-interactions, but the actual hostel was nice enough.

Very clean, safe hostel but definitely not one for the young lone traveler. No one in the common areas talked while I was there and it didnt seem like there was much going on. Too quiet for my taste but woild be great for long term I think. Recommended for older travelers.

• 29th Jan 2014

Very big hostel in perfect location directly in the CBD, unfortunately not really a 'hostel atmosphere', meeting new people is harder in this hostel than in the average hostel. Besides from that it's really nice.

Terrific central location.Very close to Flinders St station and Federation Square. Not to mention the awesome cafes and coffee of Degraves St and Centre Place. The facilities were good with a large kitchen, TV lounge and rooftop area. The staff were really excellent and especially so when I had a little problem with some bites in the night. Really enjoyed my stay and would definitely return. They even loan you a Myki Card if you give your passport as a deposit.

I did not like this hostel. The lock system on all the doors is ridiculous, and it can take approx. 50 swipes before your card is accepted and you can get on your floor and then another 50 for your room. I work from home and picked this hostel so I could work without worry based on their "free wifi" claim, but the system was down, and I was told this was a "regular thing" and there was nothing they could do. Their lockers are impossibly hard to close without slamming, which is pleasant at night

Great location, in the centre of the city and near to Flinders Street which is a hub. My dorm was comfortable enough, though having so many people spread over different floors made the communal area at the top a mix of disparate groups rather than a melting pot. I knew the people in my room pretty well as a result, though. Wifi is free but a bit hit and miss - you can get free fast access at the station nearby. Food and drink is plentiful nearby.

All round good place to stay! Quiet, clean and good location. Would stay again.

It was very good , The staff were very friendly, The other patrons were very nice to have a talk with to know the different culture .

• 9th Jan 2014

great location, very nice and helpful staff, every day cleaning, free wifi included, not noisy - i only had a problem with those bedrooms without a window.

• 6th Jan 2014

Really loved this hostel. It has a great common room where everybody chills out. Futhermore, they organise lots of activities such as amazing walking tours, pub crawls etc, free meals, which gives you the chance to meet new people very quickly. The only minus point I can think of is that the bathrooms could be cleaner and there are not a lot of plugs in the room, but besides that, loved it!

• 3rd Jan 2014