Greenpoint YMCA Reviews

99 Meserole Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11222, New York, USA

Only disappointing thing was the bed.Very hard. All else was great.

• 13th Apr 2014

Thank you for your hospitality.

• 11th Apr 2014

The staff at the Greenpoint Y are always friendly, the place is a bit basic but it's also v cheap so you get what you pay for. You get use of the gym if you stay there too.

• 30th Mar 2014

Very good - met some good people who shared a room with - great experience

• 28th Feb 2014

Everything is dirty, the room and the restrooms. The building is wrecked down, I don´t know what they clean but they plug on the vacuum-cleaner at 2am. Strange people hanging arround there.

Unfortunately I had on the third floor no internet reception. In addition, vending machines have never worked. Evening often knocked on my door another guest. I was afraid of him, but I could not be helped by the staff. The showers have been mostly submerged in the water because the drain did not work. The staff was not really friendly and helpful. Rather bored, tired or uninterested. The rooms are equipped with old furniture. The doors do not look very reliable and offer little security.

• 29th Dec 2013

Room smelled like smoke, air-conditioning/opening the windows didn't help.

Clean,well run and efficient,good location one block from the subway.I enjoyed my short visit to the area.

• 22nd Dec 2013

Very very smelly room. Seemed to be a combination of old cigarette smoke and a variety of other human smells. I had to open the window to get some fresh air and it didn't really help much.

• 16th Dec 2013

The staff was very nice and very welcoming for the most part!! They were very helpful (above all Ashani who really helped us!!). However, the room was pretty cold but we were not expecting a 3 stars hotel.

• 3rd Dec 2013

The bathrooms ought to be sanitized. My room had a draft because the air conditioning unit wasn't properly installed. Only sealed on the right side. Not warm enough. Really noisy throughout the night. Would have been nice if there was a microwave to heat water for ramen, tea, etc.

• 25th Nov 2013

Pros:Good location, just a short walk from subway station. I arrived at 10pm-felt totally safe. Cons: The whole floor was smelly.The cleanliness of my room(single de luxe!)was doubtful.There was a huge crack (15x15 cm) in the air conditioner window extension.The wind was blowing into my room, it was 1F outside! When I reported that to the frontdesk they told me they were fully booked.Thank god the maintenance guy was helpful!Restrooms were in a bad shape because of the guests that were using it.

This property may need a refurbishment in especially my room on level 3. A consideration for additional male's bathroom may needed for guests staying on 3rd floor (level 3). There are very high volume of unpleasant people living for very long time in this property and they are against tourists from eastern world. The positive side from this property are very helpful staffs, friendly information services, and good housekeeping.

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • Thailand

I'm not alone in not getting the $20 key deposit credited to my account. Let the unnecessary phone tagging begin.

• 16th Nov 2013

Greenpoint YMCA was probably the least nice of the 7 hostels I stayed at on my trip, but in no way did I find it too unpleasant. The rooms are old and stuffy but spacious. The facilities and atmosphere were poor- nowhere to socialise or prepare meals. It was close to the subway and the staff were friendly and helpful. It's also nice to not just stay in Manhattan for an entire NY trip. I liked the aspect of mixing it up and getting a feel for more than one region.

Staff is super kind and helpful. great location and neighbourhood. Very good price for what you get. Quiet and felt safe.

• 30th Oct 2013

The location was good. Friendly neighbourhood and close to subway. Good with 24 hour service. Of all the staff I met only one gave me a smile, the others seemed to think that guests was desturbing them. The bedlinnen and towels where clean but everything else was shabby. None of the toilet doors had working locks, the male showers and toilets where located only on the second floor. Considering the low cost I guess we got what we paid for.

• 28th Oct 2013
  • Sweden

Average hostel, quite anonymous, but very good for couples. We had a hugh room for a very good price. You shouldn't miss to go to the breakfast, it's a voucher for a very good breakfast cafe just 2 minutes away

My only worry is others will know of this hidden gem!

• 24th Oct 2013