Greenpoint YMCA Reviews

99 Meserole Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11222, New York, USA

There was a problem with the reservation so that I was told that I would have to check out and change my room after the first night. After the first night I asked if I could stay in my room or not for the next nights and they said no, I had to move. So I packed and moved my luggage and when I came to the reception desk 15min later they said finally I could stay in the same room.. The men bathroom were very dirty.

• 14th Sep 2014
  • Switzerland

Convenience and cost were driving factors. The front desk staff were always present, lending to a sense of security. The clientele were budget tourists or locals for the most part. I never experienced anyone sketchy. The shared bathrooms were adequately cleaned and there seemed to be service staff constantly around. The most serious issue was that my wife got a series of 5-6 bug bites on her upper arm that must have been fleas or bed bugs. The AC worked well but was so noisy we did not use it.

• 9th Sep 2014
  • Couple, 41+

close to subway station, secure location, clean, quiet, friendly staff. I would stay at this hostel again.

Really need to fix vending machines for water bottles at least

Really friendly and helpfull staff!!!! Flexible with reservations, just can recommend you ymca, espacially because of beautiful location!!!

• 20th Aug 2014

I had to change rooms because there was an error. But I liked that I got my own room! Decent location too.

• 17th Aug 2014

The place was better than i expected from the reviews.I owned a single room, so it was great.Markets were very near and if you are a muslim like me, Halal food was readily available.I was living on the 3rd floor and i had to come to 2nd floor for using restrooms or taking a bath, but that was not a big deal.I rented the hostel for the tour of newyork, so it took only 45 minutes for me to reach manhattan via subway, which is not bad.The police station was across the road, so i felt pretty secure.

• 13th Aug 2014
  • Pakistan

Wifi did not work in my room (second floor, last room in corridor), so I had to go with my laptop to the internet room. And the internet room was closed at the morning (around 9 AM - i had to sat on the floor to connect the wifi on my floor)

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • Slovakia

The accommodation had a good community feeling about it which I liked . The staff were exemplary and very approachable. We enjoyed our stay . Thanks

• 28th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

I killed a cockroach. :)

I have stayed in two YMCA´s before Greenpoint: Vanderbilt and Flushing. The nicest surprise was Brooklyn,beautiful area. The facilities are great, just the pool I could not use, as it was Summer and it was always booked for the kids. Staff was mostly nice, cordial, cleaning was okay, and the voucher to get to the Cafeteria was truly nice, as the cafeteria itself. I ahd a superb time. I love YMCA and the price is really afordable.

• 14th Jul 2014

Pros The use of the gym and classes was great. Bathrooms were fairly clean. Cons Stuffy room with no opening window. No common area to relax. No kitchen.

• 13th Jul 2014

It clean and safe place to go.The people are helpful.good places to eat and bar are fun too.

I got a clean private room , in a cool location at an incredible price. What more could I ask for? Oh, and in another review, someone complained about plastic sheets. Wrong, those were covers on the mattresses and they help prevent bed bugs. The sheets were white cotton. There is someone at the front desk to buzz you in at all times and the police station is across the street, so security is fine.

• 28th Jun 2014

The place is fairly dirty, especially the bathrooms. It would also be good to have a men's and women's bathroom on every floor! Great location though and good staff.

• 27th Jun 2014

The big problem is the water and the toilets. In rooms, there are no washbasins. We are obliged to go to the common toilets would be what only to wash himself teeth. OK. But I was for the 3rd level, and for this level, only the women had their shower-room! The men had to come down at the 2nd level to use toilets or rise to the 4th level. Those of the 2nd level were acceptable, but those of the 4th level were in a dreadful state. Here is the big problem of center YMCA of Greenpoint.

• 18th Jun 2014

It was ok for went you pay for. The rooms are clean.the people are helpful

I really enjoyed staying at Greenpoint YMCA. The hostel is located in a great district: lively, though not too loud, many cafés, bars, restaurants, and shops are nearby, and it's a short way to Manhattan, Downtown Brooklyn, and Queens. The staff was very nice and welcoming. Still, being used to European hostels, I missed a kitchen area - maybe it's possible to at least provide an electric water jug? Nevertheless, it was a great time in NY - thank you Greenpoint YMCA-team!

• 7th Jun 2014

A/C in room never worked. Water was out for more than 24 hours.

• 30th May 2014

Keep up the effort to upgrade the facilities. Make some provision for inside, secure storage for bicycles, or allow members to carry their bikes to their rooms. I suspect that you may have bed bugs. In a high-volume place like the Y, this needs to be checked regularly. Wonderful staff: friendly, courteous, and firm.

• 29th May 2014