Greenpoint YMCA Reviews

99 Meserole Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11222, New York, USA

It is about 3-5mins to subway Nassau Ave G line subway station, HOWEVER, the G train is not running frequently, takes about 1 hour to get to times square from the door of the hostel with waiting time. Men showers smell weird. Room was pretty decent, booked a single room and got a small double bed with TV in the room. I would stay here again for sure!

Awful place, never go there unless it is absolutely necessary.

• 20th Oct 2014
  • Spain

The room we got was very dirty. The carpet was dark from dirt. They have without any doubt a huge problem with hygienics (e.g. concering the bathrooms). There was always a strong stench in the bathroom and floors. We even saw blood spilled on the tiles in the toilet. This YMCA cannot be recommended to anyone. The NYDP has an office on the other side of the street. Hence, security in the area is good. Locks of the rooms were in an alarming state.

• 18th Oct 2014

I thought that the staff was wonderful. They helped out as much as they could. The bathrooms were disgusting. One out of the two showers was broken and and there was toilet paper and urine over the floors consistently. The smell was overpowering even after having been just cleaned. The room I stayed in only had the lock on the door. As a single female on a floor with many men roaming...I felt a bit unsafe.

• 17th Oct 2014

a beautiful area of brooklyn, lively and comfortable, the staff was very helpful and friendly, the room bigger than expected and very clean. only critic: there was absolutely no housekeeping (fresh towels!) during our entire stay (10 days...)

• 7th Oct 2014

Ok place to sleep in but nothing else. The Staff was not very helpfull or polite.

• 6th Oct 2014
  • Norway

Men's toilet and washroom on 2nd floor only so ask for a room on that floor only. Nearest Metro station is Nassau Ave just a few blocks away. Safe location, right in front of 98th Precinct so expect 7-8 NYPD cars parked right in front of hostel all the time. ;)

Great place to stay. They have gym and pool.

• 29th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Their security system was quite good and the hostel is located in right opposite side from the police station. However, the shower room was very unsatisfying.

The beds were kind of uncomfortable, but well enough to sleep on for a few hours. Would have been nice to have fridges in the room. Wifi was really slow, but the whole experience was not a bad deal for the low price.

• 19th Sep 2014

I suffered very bad situation in this place .. And i found a black dirty mouse in my room and there were no wifi nor cell phone signals ...

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Iraq

My wife & I stayed Tu-Fri of the previous week. This was a Sun-Tues stay in a different room. Beds this time were way too soft and A/C unit refrigerated but roared. Need to descend from 3rd floor to 2nd floor mens' room inconvenient. Sheets very clean & towels good. All in all however, the low cost & convenience made it worth it and I would return. Would be great if they could freshen up the rooms (paint & carpets) and replace the beds when they are worn out.

There was a problem with the reservation so that I was told that I would have to check out and change my room after the first night. After the first night I asked if I could stay in my room or not for the next nights and they said no, I had to move. So I packed and moved my luggage and when I came to the reception desk 15min later they said finally I could stay in the same room.. The men bathroom were very dirty.

• 14th Sep 2014
  • Switzerland

Convenience and cost were driving factors. The front desk staff were always present, lending to a sense of security. The clientele were budget tourists or locals for the most part. I never experienced anyone sketchy. The shared bathrooms were adequately cleaned and there seemed to be service staff constantly around. The most serious issue was that my wife got a series of 5-6 bug bites on her upper arm that must have been fleas or bed bugs. The AC worked well but was so noisy we did not use it.

close to subway station, secure location, clean, quiet, friendly staff. I would stay at this hostel again.

Really need to fix vending machines for water bottles at least

Really friendly and helpfull staff!!!! Flexible with reservations, just can recommend you ymca, espacially because of beautiful location!!!

• 20th Aug 2014

I had to change rooms because there was an error. But I liked that I got my own room! Decent location too.

• 17th Aug 2014

The place was better than i expected from the reviews.I owned a single room, so it was great.Markets were very near and if you are a muslim like me, Halal food was readily available.I was living on the 3rd floor and i had to come to 2nd floor for using restrooms or taking a bath, but that was not a big deal.I rented the hostel for the tour of newyork, so it took only 45 minutes for me to reach manhattan via subway, which is not bad.The police station was across the road, so i felt pretty secure.

• 13th Aug 2014
  • Pakistan

Wifi did not work in my room (second floor, last room in corridor), so I had to go with my laptop to the internet room. And the internet room was closed at the morning (around 9 AM - i had to sat on the floor to connect the wifi on my floor)

• 2nd Aug 2014