Guest House KURA Reviews

39, Suzaka, Suzaka city, Nagano prefecture, Japan, Nagano, Japan

The staff are so kind and helpful. Such a charming, beautiful old house. Very homely, very friendly. Strongly recommend staying here!

• 28th Apr 2015

Best hostel we have stayed in Japan with the most helpfull staff. Without asking she arranged discount coupons for skiing and onsens in the area.

A great little guesthouse to stay in! The owners are lovely, friendly and are happy to help you out. The guesthouse is very clean and home like. It's located 30 minutes train ride from Nagano. It was amazing being out in a typical Japanese town and being the only western about! It was a lovely stop over on my way to see the snow monkeys. Wish I stayed longer than a night! Plus the cafe attached makes fantastic coffee.

Thank you for coming to Suzaka! Wish you could stay longer, but thank you again for staying with us! Great meeting you!

Great hostel, Marina was extremely helpful even before we arrived. Ideal stopover if you are seeing the snow monkeys. They even picked our luggage up from the train station while we visited the monkeys and delivered it the hostel. Would stay again in a heart beat!

Really cool owner!

Thank you for staying with us!! Come back to Japan at any time:)

Fantastic authentic Japanese guest house experience! The home is over 100 years old and you sleep traditionally on a Japanese matt (actually quite comfortable). Marina is also amazing at helping you out with everything! Really enjoyed my stay here, probably the most memorable one in Japan for me!

Our stay at the hostel was absolutely great. The staff are very kind and the lounge had a great atmosphere. I'm normally not one to sit in a lounge of a hostel, but the staff made everyone feel at home and ensured no one was left out of the conversation. The owner even took us to a hot spring nearby, and another staff member took us to a local restaurant and had dinner with us. That was a first for me, but it was great! If I were to visit Nagano again, I'd go to this hostel again.

We had a very relaxing stay here between Yamanouchi and Nagano. Marina at the desk is very informative, speaks great English, and made the stay very enjoyable. The rooms were very cool and had the old-Japan feel. Beds were very comfortable, and the hot water bottle we received at bedtime was very helpful. Definitely recommend staying here for a night. (The pizza joint down the street is delicious FYI). Thanks Marina!

The best hostel i've stayed in. The staff went above and beyond- made us feel like they were family and we were just at home. Electric blankets and nightly hot water bottles were an amazing touch. Breakfast was delicious too! Would 100% stay again.

Staying here was one of my best travel experiences... I met a great group of people, ate some great food, saw some snow monkeys, and similar to others, was taken to a local onsen by the owner's father. I highly recommend this place if you are intending to check out the snow monkeys and things in that area.

This is a really interesting place to stay. It was my first experience in a Japanese Guest House with paper walls and a roll out bed. I can recommend the place as somewhere to stay.

In a lovely quiet area with close access to train transport Guesthouse Kura was a great stay. Marina is a bubbly and warm host and is extremely helpful for all tours, handing out maps and information. The rooms are beautifully renovated in traditional style and the bedding was comfy and most importantly warm- best hot water bottles! There is a lovely social atmosphere in the lounge in the evenings. Highly recommend.

• 4th Feb 2015

We stayed here for 3 nights, but would have happily stayed for a week or longer!! Marina was the most welcoming gorgeous person we've ever met. Everything about this place was amazing. We were lucky enough to get taught how to make delicious sushi and be there for a night of a traditional celebration involving us dressing up and throwing lots of peanuts!! So fun. Thank you so much Marina for our wonderful stay. Would recommend to anyone.

Was such a nice place to stay! The lady that runs this place was amazing, one of the most kindhearted person I've met in Japan! I was sad to leave. If you have the chance you should definitely stay here :)

Awesome guest house! Marina is an amazing host, she is full of good advice and makes you feel right at home !

As all of the other reviewers have said, Marina is a wonderful, welcoming host. Sitting around and chatting in the lounge at night was one of the highlights of my time in Nagano. If I could give this place more than an "excellent" for atmosphere, I would. The guest house itself has been renovated in a way that really highlights its traditional feel, which adds to the unique experience. It's definitely worth the short trip to Suzaka!

I had a brilliant stay in Guest House Kura. Marina, the proprietor, is a truly wonderful lady. It's a small place compared to other hostels I've stayed in but that only adds to the excellent atmosphere. Highly recommended!

Thank you for coming and staying at Guest House KURA! Our dorm room is not big enough so we appreciate your smallest backpack we have ever host! hahaha:) And thank you for your cooperation of interviews for the local newspaper! Great meeting you! Come back to Suzaka!

Really great hostel, one of the best I have ever stayed at! Such a comfortable atmosphere, very cosy and traditional.

• 20th Dec 2014

Thank you for staying at Guest House KURA! Hope you could stay here longer, but it was nice meeting you! Thank you so much for coming to Suzaka!

Meeting Marina is like meeting a long lost family member!!! She is the nicest, sweetest, most gracious host I've ever had at any guesthouse or hostel. The guesthouse itself- absolutely brilliant! Exactly what I was looking for- a traditional Japanese experience. Paper walls, tatami style sleeping, most beautiful decor. My only regret is that I only had time to stay 1 night before visiting the incredible Snow Monkey Park. I can't wait to return and see Marina and the monkeys again!

Thank you so much for your kind comments!! Your so kind comments are keep encouraging our efforts! Thank you so much! It was great meeting you, and I miss you, and your Canadian color Fashion!! :) Don't forget you are always welcome to come back here!!! Arigato-!

Marina is the best host known to man! I was really keen on the onsen, and she even arranged for her dad to come take me so I wouldn't get lost. If you are looking for a traditional style stay in Japan, come here!!! Kura is close to the snow monkeys and Suzuka is also a very quaint and friendly town. And if Shinji is around, please forward him your snow monkey pictures for his project!

Thank you for your kind message! And also thank you for promoting Shinji's project! His music video will come soon:) It was a wonderful night wit you! Thank you again for staying at Guest House kURA! If you have chance to come back to Japan, don't forget to drop by Nagano! Arigato-!