Guesthouse Nara Backpackers Reviews

31 Yurugi-cho, Nara, Japan

Hostel is a 15 minutes walk away from Kintetsunara station. Location is a distance away from the town area so do have your dinner before heading back. I had a great stay.

I loved this little homely and very tradition hostel. My stay was so enjoyable and felt like staying in a Japanese home. Great facilities, with my only slightly negative comment to be the noise that filters through the place, as you would expect with a Japanese house of paper walls, for me this added to the character, but one needs ear plugs to sleep. Also, the only toilets are downstairs if you are in an upstairs dorm, so a long walk down steep stairs is required during the night!

Great atmosphere. Small and cosy, authentic Japanese experience. very good staff. highly recommended.

When I booked my room I thought there were only 3 private rooms and that I was getting one of the larger two and therefore overlooking the garden, as I had seen 2 rooms one leading onto garden and one upstairs with balcony overlooking garden, plus a smaller room with no garden view. As it turned out, there are 5 rooms and the amount I had paid was for a medium-sized room so I missed out on the garden as the 2 large rooms got it . Photos of the rooms alongside booking details would be useful!

• 19th Apr 2015

Hopefully the bicycles can be repair soonly and others backpackers can use it!

• 16th Apr 2015
  • Malaysia

Beautiful Ryokan, but it was very difficult to find. Better directions would have been appreciated. Location was good in relation to the main temples. Lovely Staff.

A 100 year old Japanese house, what more can I say? If you are up for one-of-a-kind experience, this place definitely checks the box! Small place so it's better for those who are traveling light. Lovely garden right outside some of the rooms and the common area. 15 walk to Kintetsu-Nara Station and Sanjocho shopping district. Airport limousine coach departs/arrives within the same area.

Amazing place for people interested in old Japanese architecture, and Japanese culture in general. Worth visiting Nara for this place alone. Thank you to the lovely staff for the pleasant experience!

Cosy old traditional house with mini garden. Can be a little drafty, so going to the toilet at night can be a little daunting. Location is close to Nara Park and sightseeing areas, but is a little far from the town centre - a fair tradeoff. Shower, washbasins, and toilets are in short supply (2 of each), so just a note to use them at off-peak times.

Staying in an old Japanese house was interesting but emphases on old. I was kinda glad i only stayed there one night. Great Location however being next to the park. The Building was nice but its not what you might be use to. The bunkbed spaces were small compared to other hostels Ive been too. The staffs were nice but their english were limited.

I loved staying at this hostel! The location and property itself was wonderful and the staff as well. If I returm to Nara I will stay at this hostel again.

Nara Backpackers is a lovely place to stay. Sitting under a kotatsu, having a view on the beautiful garden, you don't feel like doing sightseeing at all. But still, if you do, all points of interest are very close. Highly recommended :)

Bit cold in winter but very beautiful and traditional. Watch out for your head if you're tall - low ceilings

A beautiful old Japanese style house, located right next to Nara Park and within easy walking distance of the train station. Very clean and comfortable, and of course Yukari was the best, so sweet and helpful!

Everything nice. Staff is very friendly and nice!

• 29th Jan 2015
  • Poland

Can be a little bit cold in winter, but there is enough heating to be sufficient. Totally recommend. The staff and atmosphere were top notch.

This Guesthouse is definitely one of the most charming ones I've ever been to. It's close to the Kintetsu Nara station and reflects the Japanese lifestyle for backpackers. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly and instead of staying just 1 night as I had planned I stayed 5 nights because I didn't want to leave anymore! I absolutely recommend it!

Staff is wonderful as is the location. Soooo glad I stayed here for the Holidays!

Although the house offers a very authentic experience there are some downfalls such as too cold in the room and in the hallway. There are only two bathrooms and two showers for all the guests to use. The house needs to be updated.

very nice house, worth staying for more days!