Gyreum Reviews

Corlisheen, Riverstown, Sligo, Ireland

Very difficult to pay. No staff on site, stayed later in the morning to try and pay with credit card with no luck. Then they wanted cash left, but the beautiful isolated location did not allow for an atm and uncomfortable leaving cash. Be sure to bring cash to pay!

Loved our stay!! Would highly recommend,. Looking forward to a return trip

• 3rd Aug 2013

This needs to be taken off hostelworld. It is not suitable for most travellers. You are indeed a nice man, but your premises needs to be finished in all areas. There are no completed rooms. Trim needs to be fitted, and the place needs a thorough renovation and cleaning.

Quite difficult to find but once we got there, it was great! No noise and only nature. A very good surprise!

• 20th Jul 2013

I LOVE this hostel. It was by far the coziest place I stayed during my two week trip to Ireland. I love the decor and architecture. The owner was friendly and helpful. i loved all of the funky art and the very unique eco-building and gardens.

Awesome place to stay, a bit out of the way, but ideal for peaceful getaway or base for hikers. Super friendly cat and beautiful surroundings joined with a few beers made some awesome memories.

• 19th May 2013
  • Northern Ireland

An original place perfect to relax and have a good time with friends, a lot more spacious and comfortable than the usual tiny cheap hostels. Very hard to find though, even with a gps

We visited but did mot stay because we had a friend in Castlebar whi insisted we stay with them.We were quite sure we would have trouble finding it late at night. It is a very nice place and the people were great but it was very hard to find. It is about 25kms out of town and we thought it was in town. The locals seemed not to know hwere it was and if a GPS bearing was advertised and/or a few signs it would be much easier to locate. Otther than that no problems at all.

• 9th Apr 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

There is very clear signage eastwards from Castlebaldwin on the main Dublin to Sligo N4 road. Put the word

After a 2 week visit in Ireland which included many hostels, this one was by far the worst one. The place is filthy, there's mold and dust everywhere. There was a group of people living there, and it seemed as if the place belongs to them. All of their stuff where all over the place, including their dirty socks and linen. The location is not what the brochure says, so there's an additional 20 minutes drive. Stay away from this place!

• 19th Sep 2012
  • Israel

Friendly folks, and the room far exceeded my expectations. Lots of privacy and beautiful surroundings, though it was pouring rain so I didn't get a chance to do much hiking as I had originally intended.

The hostel is located in the middle of a rural area, that can only be reached practically by car (20 min) drive from Sligo. The quality of the dormitory was below expectation, it is a big dark hall, and there was mess all over the place. The beds were not covered with sheets. Because this hall was also the main entrance hall, it did not feel save to stay the night here. We decided to stay at a nearby bed & breakfast. We were shocked about the quality of this place.

• 4th Aug 2012

Before we arrived at the hostel we were told that it had flooded from all teh rain this weeknd, as we couldn't find any place else to stay the guy told us he'd sort out airbeds for us. When we got there they were out working fixing the gate. When we went inside the guy handed us soaking wet matresses to sleep on, the place smelt of sewage and just over all looked like it was run down. The shower facilities were also broken.

• 4th Aug 2012

Yes I twice spoke to to the guest to tell her not to come because of flood. Sadly due to bank holiday there was nowhere else to stay so they came anyway. Yes and the mattresses were wet as I had told her so. There are 3 perfectly working showers built just a month ago with plentiful rain harvest hot water that the guest did not get around to see. Re the sewerage smell, if I recall, as the guest was frantically trying to find alternative accommodation on her mobile she was standing right beside our state of the art reed bed system which it must be said has a pong (as well it should). I hasten to add that said pong is not inside the building. Having just had a flood (due to a guest leaving loft window open in a storm ) I do feel that her criticism is unfair, specially given that I had warned her to stay away and offered to repay her hostelworld reservation fee. An offer that I still hold to. sweetness and felicitations to all our hardest critics. It sure is tough being green-ish.

We went to Gyreum with my family 3 adults and 2 kid (6 &10 ) for 3 nights. We took a small chamber in which we settled 2 mattresses for the children. The rest of the hostel was used by a group of students who made a bit the Gyreum their home. We finally found our place and the cohabitation has been good. They were very friendly (as the owner) and the kids were happy with them. Cleanliness is not in the standard but acceptable for us. The kids were sad to leave. Going there by car is a good idea.

• 31st Jul 2012
  • Couple, 41+

Booked day before but when arrived was not expected. Didn't feel very welcome. Booked to stay in a room but these had obviously already been booked weeks ago, so had to stay in main area, which wasn't a problem but not what I'd booked. Could have been cleaner, especially the kitchen and bathroom. Guests smoking in communal areas, horrid. Waited an hour in morning for the one staff member, never saw him, ended up leaving money on my bed. Great building, should have been fantastic stay but wasn't.

An incredible place to stay and meet really friendly people, though it seems we weren't there at the best time: the main room was a bit messy and a lot of works were going on. The access can be a bit difficult since it is very remote, but that's the price to pay to be in the most quiet, peaceful Irish country side, with amazing views. I would definitely recommend it: it felt more like being at home than in a hostel.

Thanks for the good report Caroline. You were a good bunch too. Excuse the renovations of main hall it will be complete by 20 June. Tx

Interesting building and staff however it does not live up to its potential. Tried to call hostel ahead a number of times and left messages but received no response. Upon arrival found dirty underwear outside our room that was never collected eventhough it was brought to the attention of staff. This could be an awesome place to stay, but sadly it is rather rundown, disorganised and needs a lot of work to live up to its potential. A shame.

• 6th Nov 2011

Nice place to stay - but be prepared! Maybe 20-30 minute drive from Sligo on narrow country roads! Beautiful location, though, and very close to some amazing historical sights and great walks, if that's what you're into. I got great advice at the hostel about where to go, and there weren't many other people, so I was definitely happy there! Just be warned, it is a little "rustic". Mattresses and bathrooms and stuff are old, but everything was clean and nice.

• 7th Jul 2011
  • ingridkoslow

I cant recomment this hostel...there was nobody there when we arrived, only a phone number at the door but nobody answered my call, it was dirty inside, no info via email that there would be a problem with my booking! Not funny!!!! So we had to find ourselves some place else to stay. The people in the area told us that this was not the first time this happend.

The gyreum is a unique experience. If you are looking for outdoors, this is the perfect place. The idea of the place is a wonderful one of conservation. However it wasn't very clean and the bedroom smelled of mildew. The owner was pleasant but left for the evening without letting us know, we were confused when we went to slept if anyone would be showing up or if we should close/lock doors, etc.

the most amazing sunset i have ever seen on an incredible landscape. very original and cosy, would recommend it for sure !

• 25th Apr 2011