H.I. Los Angeles / Santa Monica Reviews

1436 2nd Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401, Los Angeles, California, USA

Location, location, location

This hostel hasn't a good ambiance, too big it's more an hotel than a hostel! We stole our food, and we were not the only one!! Taff a little bit rude... I was disappointed happily the location is great.

This hostel is HUGE. Not much atmosphere, felt very much like a dorm room. Location is great though.

A great place to stay, I wish I could had stayed for a longer duration!!!

We LOVED this hi so much we revisited for the last few days of our trip! the location is brilliant, just two blocks from the beach which you can walk, cycle or rollerblade etc to venice beach and a 10 sec walk to third street promenade which is a thriving hub of activity. the amenities are also great, good sized communal kitchen and dining. the outdoor area was lovely,great atmosphere and this is where we spent most of our time. breakfast was good, basic but clean rooms, great staff,

• 27th Jun 2013

Really liked my stayed there. The location is unbeatable! You will have a great time there. Make sure you have a hostelling card orl else it is quite convenient to get one. It costs around U$D28 and you may get one night free if eve stayng in other hostel and if you dont get it or already have it they charge an etra U$D3 per night...so, it is worth it. Only thing that I did not like is that they do not charge what HostelWorld states as balance due on arrival..of course they charge more, why?

One of your staff members we complained to didn't not help or fix the situation that was caused by a very aggressive and un stable women being allowed into our dorm! It was a ten person dorm and we complained about this spasific person at 11.00Am and all nine of us got turned away and then it took a turn for the worst at 2.00am when the police had to be called! I would like my money back because to be out in that situation when you're scared for your own life and so are nine other!

• 26th Jun 2013

A nice place to stay in Santa Monica

• 25th Jun 2013

Although I was in a room with 10 beds, it was very quiet.

• 24th Jun 2013

There is no AC in the room. I think this is problem. but the other things was awesome. I liked it a lot.

• 23rd Jun 2013
  • Turkey

This is the third time I have stayed in the H.I. LA/Santa Monica hostel. I enjoy the large hotel feel of the hostel, their excellent breakfasts, and their organized events. The breakfasts are the best I've seen in any hostel with a lot more than just peanut butter, jam, and toast. I went to the acting class, two comedy nights, the Pub Crawl, and the Club Hop that was sponsored by the hostel. In all four of these events, I had fun and met new friends from other countries.

The location is great, being close to the beach, the Promenade, and public buses. I felt safe going out at night, but despite the security door the homeless do get in. There was a very large and very crazy homeless man running throughout the halls at about 3 in the morning banging on all the doors until security was called. Breakfast is "meh" but free, lockers are great but bring a lock, no AC, and common areas need to be reorganized to get people to socialize more. Everyone's on their laptop.

This is a really nice and convenient hostel. It needs better air conditioning in the rooms but the cleanliness and good lockers make up for that.

• 21st Jun 2013

The Hostel is in a great safe location in Santa Monica. The rooms are clean and have a large locker for your suitcase (mine was pretty big and just about fitted) though you do need your own padlock. There is something on every night so it's quite a sociable place and the staff are really helpful about extra activities or if you need directions or recommendations. There are fans in the room but no air con which is the only downside as it can get pretty warm!

• 20th Jun 2013
  • Wales

Rather expensive, but definitely worth it. Great location (very close to the beach, the pier, the restaurants and bars), very helpful and friendly staff, great facilities. Pool table, patio, good kitchen. Excellent beds with personal lamps and sockets in spacious, clean rooms. Highly recommended!

I don't normally go in for expensive chain hostels, but in this case convenience and cleanliness won out for me and I was really happy with my decision, despite the expenses. Personality is pretty run of the mill, and it was kind of hard to meet people (not the best if you want a party hostel probably), but it was safe, clean, well-controlled and super close to the beach. There's $5 overnight parking 15 min walk away that wasn't bad at all, either, and made my life much easier.

Nice place to sleep, poor for meeting people.

Had a great time there. Perfect location. Close to the pier and beach and shopping.

Really nice hostel and great location. Atmosphere was not that great and it was hard to meet people even in a 10 bed room. There a no drinking or smoking policy, which reduces the social side of the hostel and meeting new people.

Fantastic hostel - clean, feels safe, in a good area, so close to the beach, really easy to find. $5 pasta meals on Tuesday and free breakfasts are great. Staff were friendly, approachable, helpful and had a sense of humour.