H.I. San Francisco-City Center Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

Amazing hostel in a terrible neighbourhood. If seriously considering this hostel, its for sure a great place to stay but just be aware of the surrounding area outside. Streets full of homeless and addicts. The staff were great in every way and the security of the hostel is way above average.

Very good hostel: clean, friendly staff and good atmosphere. The downside is the location: too many homeless people wandering around the hoste. They provide some security tips though and if you leave the hostel in the right direction (not going towards the Civic Center), you won't have problems.

Private rooms and bath are great. So is the daily room cleaning. The geographic location is great, but it is a little rough. Me and my girlfriend were fine though. We would stay there again for sure. If you have a smartphone and can use transit apps definitely do it. We took the bus everywhere since the hostel is in a great location.

• 15th Apr 2013

Very clean, spacious room, nice to have lockable lockers in the rooms. There were only two electrical power outlets in the room, and with everyone needing to charge cellphones, iPods, etc., more outlets would have been welcome.

• 18th Mar 2013

Thanks for kind review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay. We totally understand the issue with the electrical outlets, and thanks to feedback from our guests, have just finished upgrading the outlets in all the rooms. We now have a minimum of 8 outlets per room, and will be adding bedside shelves and reading lights very soon. Now everyone can charge their gadgets in style! Happy Hostelling!

Located in the heart of San Francisco, it is really safe if you don't leave anything in kitchens fridges. They clean your room every day. No loads of activities, and weird hours to start them. Quite expensive. Good atmosphere and really good WIFI service.

• 14th Mar 2013
  • Spain

Great hostel on the edge of the Tenderloin area. Very friendly staff, nice facilities, just not the best neighborhood. Definitely would stay here again and would recommend again

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel . The first night was OK but when I came back to my room on the second day, I really started a very bad night. First my bed was occupied by a strange guy (wearing all his clothes). I discovered later that the other guy in the room was even stranger . They woke up many times in the night. Taking phone calls! and turning on the light !! They really looked like drug dealers making business. For me, the hostel failed while accepting such people

It is very nice hostel and staff is very supportive.

• 31st Jan 2013
  • India

Great hotel, the location could have been better. First thing I was told at arrival was to take " street smart" routes, being a single traveller, I felt unsecure to leave the building on my own. But please dont be put off by this fact, staff, rooms, food, facilities were all excellent. Thank you for a great stay, perhaps try YHA downtown - closer to union square

• 8th Jan 2013

I loved it. I've been to SF many times but this was the first time staying in a hostel. I didn't expect much since it's located in the Tenderloin afterall, but it's really a diamond in the rough. The employees, especially the lovely ladies at the bar, were friendly and helpful. I was also really impressed by the comfort of the beds! Thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Lovely hostel, great value for money, fabulous selection of beers at the bar - we can't fault it and will definitely be returning

A lot of homeless people surrounding the hostel!

I liked that they had lockers in the room and I payed a little bit extra for a bathroom. The only thing I did not like was the location.

The best hostel I have ever stayed in. Really nice staff helping whereever they can!

• 17th Nov 2012
  • New Zealand
  • All Male Group, 25-30

It is a pretty nice place to stay. You can also meet different young people from all over the world. The design for this place is lovely. Especially the elevator. However, the carpet makes the room pretty smelly. I actually had a reservation for two nights, but I cancelled one day because of the stinky smell from the carpet. I would love to stay for the other day if the smells are gone.

• 16th Nov 2012
  • China

Great staff and nice rooms!

please wash the blankets frequently, It smells terrible.

• China

The hotel should carry more change for cash. Asking for a state issued ID to borrow the hair-dryer is a little extreme... :)

• 26th Oct 2012

Great Hostel. The location is a bit of a bummer. Its really not unsafe but you may get put off by all the homeless people around you. Personally I didnt mind the grunge - but if you are in SF only for a night or so this may not be for you. It is however not very far from the action - but the HI Downtown is significantly closer . Everything else is really very good. I think storage facilities would be a huge plus. The staff is excellent - I cant praise them enough!

• India

If your travelling alone like I am, I would avoid this place. It's in a bad area so its quite intimidating. The staff do the bare minimum to make you feel welcome and In my opinion don't do enough activities to get people involved with. The actual hostel itself is nice and its clean but I feel it seriously lacks in character.

View all San Francisco Hostels