HBC Hostel Reviews

VI. Nagymezo u. 49, Budapest, Hungary

Staff are friendly and advised us of the best places to visit during our stay - Staying here allowed us to see all major attractions in Hungary as is literally a walk away from everything - We stayed in a twin room which was clean and cosy - outside each room are computers with free wifi which came in handy as i misplaced my passport during my stay and needed to get online!! - The owner also allowed me to print a few documents (free of charge) to sort out this issue- would definitely stay again

The host was very kind, letting us use his herbs while we were cooking. He was, however, slightly intrusive (e.g. coming into the room without knocking), and kept telling us not to sit on other guests beds (which we had no interest in doing), not to keep food out of the fridge etc. The host and his friend also spent a lot of time in the kitchen, asking guests to leave whilst they cooked/ ate. Location & price was great.

Best hostel I've ever stayed in. The hostel owner is the most lovely and helpful man in the world. He makes the hostel feel like home and is very informative at every opportunity. The hostel itself is great. In the time I was there I never had to wait for a shower or toilet. There is also a great kitchen. The rooms are large and security is great all round. Anton, the hostel owner, makes everything accessible. There are lists of great places all round the hostel. I will definitely stay again.

I do not agree with the reviews quoting how 'friendly' the staff at the hostel are as this was certainly not my experience. When I phoned the hostel asking for directions to the hostel upon arrival at the metro- I was told and I quote 'You should have been better prepared and brought a map with you' and also 'it is too expensive for me to explain over the phone how to get to the hostel' even though I was the one that was calling them and not the other way round....

• 11th Jul 2015

very nice host. i do like his sense of humor and kindness. nice location (can walk metro station about 5 min) but it's hard to take a shower cause there's blockage in the toilet.

• 9th Jul 2015
  • South Korea

Very welcoming staff who were always willing to help us out with suggestions and directions. Security was very good with code needed for front door, keys for hostel, room and locker. Location was perfect for going to bars at night and tours during the day. Rooms were basic but fine for a couple of nights

• 8th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

The hostel is clean and has a great kitchen. Staff are friendly and give lots of advice on where to go in Budapest- also lots of flyers and promotions of events etc. The lockers are big enough for a suitcase/large pack. Bathrooms are nice and clean. We had a lot of fun here and it's in a good location for most things.

Once I got past the less than impressive outside and the fact it's next to a gentleman's club and the stairs up to the hostel are very dark at nice, I entered a small and friendly hostel which was a delight to stay in. They were very patient despite my travel delays and helped me settle in...I had arrived on goulash party evening which was delicious! Antony is like the father of the hostel - lovely, funny man who is more than willing to help with anything. Basic, clean dorms and showers.

Everything was perfect! Good price good location good atmosphere. And staff was very kind. He everytime took care of me, and gave me good advice too. I relaxed all day. Definitely best hostel in Hungary is HBC hostel!!!

• 19th Jun 2015
  • Japan

The hostel was a little ways away from the main train station - directions from the train station are provided but it still was inconvenient if traveling with larger bags. The room was wonderful and comfortable but the street the hostel is on has a lot of bars and nightlife on it. We were kept up until 3 or 4 am by drunk people shouting/throwing up/ etc. not the hostels fault, of course, but definitely something to consider especially if you do not plan on participating in the drunkenness.

The place is very nice. I must say I really felt comfortable at the HBC hostel. The owner is very sweet.

good hostel, good location

The owner Anthony was such a lovely, warm, funny and helpful guy! He is the reason why I actually chose the hostel in the first place. When I finally met him, I understood why people chose the hostel. The way he goes out to help his guests is wonderful. Would definitely be back to stay again when I visit Budapest!