HBC Hostel Reviews

VI. Nagymezo u. 49, Budapest, Hungary

At first glance, the hostel seemed very dark, sketchy, and a bit unsafe. Everything was very cramped and creaky. After the first night, when more people arrived, it got better, but things were still slightly grimy and unsettling. The staff was very brash, and rude at times. I did not feel welcome by the owner, but rather more of an inconvenience.

• 7th Sep 2014

4night stay. V odd decor 20+ posters of Croatia even though we were in Budapest & items such as jars of pickled shark embryos & fish heads adorn the place. The double room was cramped and the hostel always v dark. The bathrooms were small; some of which were often unclean and noisy with 1guest flemming in the sink for 20min each morning & evening (not hostels fault). kitchen was cramped for the size of the hostel also. The staff were very friendly though wishing to help at any opportunity.

the hostel is located near the center, the owner is really nice and helpful. It is quite at night and if you want some party mood, there are a couple of pubs and bar near by (just one minute walk).

Best Best Best!!!!!!!! Staffs were soooooooo nice sweet and friendly! :) They told everything about Budapest and they were again so so so nice!! The hostel was really clean, the kitchen had everything, computers were free to use, refrigerator in room! and I also borrowed free towels! Thank you so much I would absolutely go here if I visit Budpest again !!! XD

Really nice kitchen. Staff were really helpful. You get lockers. We felt really safe and at home there. Really close to ask the sight seeing in Budapest too.

We are three Australian girls who stayed here after Sziget festival for a couple of days. We had a great stay and the owner was incredibly helpful! Would highly recommend!

• 10th Aug 2014

Best hostel in budapest I was in during my stay. Best value for money you can find, and the staff is very helpful. Very good location, and the fact that there is another hostel just next door just adds to the ambiance.

The hostel was in a easy location to get into the centre of the city and there was public transport nearby to get to anywhere in Budapest. The room was very clean and a good size however the bathroom was very unclean. There was only one toilet between the whole hostel! The man, who owned the hostel, was very helpful with what to see but we found him to be rude and perverted - a comment was made that was inappropriate

We stayed in a dorm four five nights and our stay was very nice. The owner helped us a lot with first hand information and whatever we needed, we could ask for! Also the location of the hostel was perfect to explore the city by foot every day. We definitely recommend HBC :)

• 20th Jul 2014

The beds are fine, the bathrooms need a big upgrade.. Only 2 toilets and 3 showers in the whole hostel!! Need to be cleaner too, they seemed to smell like a public toilet. Location is ok, about 5-10min walk to centre. Anton was great, very hospitable and a generous host. There are small lockers you can put afew things in but wouldn't fit all your stuff.

We loved our stay in budapest. Anton is the best guy and was very helpful with letting us know how to get around Budapest. We would highly recommend this hostel as it was one of the best hostels we stayed in during our interrailing trip.

Anton, the owner, is a lovely Croatian man who clearly loves both his country (amazing tourist posters for Hrvatska everywhere), and running a hostel. Now it's not a "fun hostel" with parties and pub crawls pushed down your neck, but it's well maintained and very clean. A very warm welcome indeed! It's a 5 minute walk from two Metro stations, and Nyugati mainline station, behind which is the West End shopping centre.

• 16th Jul 2014

I can't recommend this hostel enough!! Not only was the location perfect, being close to main metro stations as well as buses, the host, Anton, made me feel more at home than any other hostel has in my last 2 months of traveling. He made dinner for the whole hostel, as well as helped with any and all questions I had while I was there. The hostel had a great t.v room,comfy beds and a big kitchen for cooking, I'll definitely be going back!!

• 14th Jul 2014

Really friendly and helpful owner, would definitely go back here

HBC Hostel is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at as the amazing hostel owner Antun is so friendly and helpful and creates such a great atmosphere within the hostel. The hostel is full of amazing decorations which makes it a really unique place to stay.

We had the best stay here! Such a welcoming atmosphere that allows you to meet other travelers, as well as gain a full insight into the city with the assistance and advice of the wonderful Antun. We enjoyed a traditional Hungarian meal and also an evening tour of the city at the courtesy of the host. If you're going to stay anywhere in central Budapest, HBC is the place to stay!

It's in an amazing location, and is a beautiful building! The hostel it's self was very nice and the owner was the most poliet person, easy to get a long with and is very friendly. Best hostel I've ever been to, and is definitely worth going to

Value for money, good location that's within walking distance of 3 metro stations.

• 26th Jun 2014
  • Singapore

Best hostel in Budapest!! The hostel is in centre so you can walk everywhere from here. There are personal lockers for everyone, brand new strong wifi, new showers, towels and new mattresses when i arrived so everything is very clean and comfortable. But the best thing is Anton - he is so friendly and welcoming, he will help you with anything and make you feel at home. The best hostel if you want to go out and have a great time then come back for a good nights sleep. Would recommend highly!

I had a great stay at HBC. The employees were very friendly and helpful, the place was charming and homey, the location was ideal for seeing Budapest nightlife and tourist spots. I felt safe and appreciated the lockers that came with keys in our rooms. Highly recommended hostel!

• 18th Jun 2014