HI - Austin Hostel Reviews

2200 S. Lakeshore Blvd., 78741, Austin, USA

It was a shame we couldn't have more than one night in Austin - we really enjoyed our stay!

• 31st Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

It's right next to the river, which is a beautiful sight. It's not close to downtown, where a lot of things are happening. Everything was clean. They had AC. It is great hostel. The only thing lacking was the absolute lack of social atmosphere. Maybe, I was there at a down period? But give this place a try, it has everything going for them to be a great hostel.

I really enjoyed staying at this host. The lockers were useful and it was very clean. There was limited selection for the breakfast of cereal or toast. The staff were awesome and I would recommend staying here. It's right on the bike and hike tour which is beautiful just out the city but I recommend using at uber if you're not a walker!

We enjoyed our stay at this hostel. The location is fabulous as it is close enough to downtown/nightlife but also good for walks and outdoorsy stuff. My only comment is how noisy it can be outside of the dorm rooms. Although this is a relatively small hostel, I found that you could hear everything in your bed from the extremely loud hand dryers, the laundry machine, flushing toilets, people talking etc... I think it would benefit from closing the bathroom doors! Otherwise LOVED IT! :)

Need more rental bikes and a better system for renting them out.

While not in the heart of the shopping and partying districts of Austin, this hostel has easy access to both the Colorado River and a large bike trail. There are also paddle boarding, kayak, and bike rentals so that you can utilize these options. You're no more than a brief and cheap bus ride, uber, or drive to the main attractions of Austin. Kind and helpful staff and entertaining guests made for a perfect stay!

Nice staff and very clean . It was not as central as I thought it would be.

Great place to crash! 10 guys in the same room is a noisy, interruptive sleep at the best of times, but I loved the facilities and staff, and a hot walk to downtown :)

• 4th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Great stay, amazing location very friendly and helpful staff. Quite a quiet hostel possibly due to location which is a walk from downtown but quick to get to if you rent bikes from hostel (which we did and was such good fun). Would definitely recommend staying here, cant stress enough how beautiful the location is, if i return to austin (which i plan on doing) i would definitely stay here again

Hello! I am so happy to hear that you will be returning to Austin and staying with us again! We love hearing all about these wonderful experiences and look forward to your return. Thank you for the kind words! Nicole Starr - General Manager, HI-Austin

The staff were very polite and helpful. They also dealt with problematic individuals swiftly.

Hello! I am so glad to hear that we handled problematic guests to your satisfaction. This is something we intend to continue practicing, as we want this to be a safe and fun environment. Hope to see you again in the future and safe travels to you! Nicole Starr - General Manager, HI-Austin

I liked everything about this hostel. It's by the river and I liked jogging along it in the morning.

The hostel was amazing. Really clean, good atmosphere and so nice staff and they help you a lot if you need to know something. Top location! I had an awesome stay here, thank you so much! I'll be back soon :)

• 23rd Jul 2015
  • Switzerland

Hello! You are very welcome and thank YOU so much for the kind words! We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Nicole Starr - General Manager, HI-Austin

This was the best hostel I've ever been to. Really clean, nice rooms and bathrooms. The staff is really polite and helpful. It's a really beautiful location and even if you don't go into town, you can just relax and hang out at the hostel because there's something to do :-)

Oh WOW! This makes us so happy! "The best hostel" is BEST thing ever! We definitely try our BEST to make it the BEST. BEST BEST BEST!!! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future! Nicole Starr - General Manager, HI-Austin

The staff were very friendly. The breakfast is basic, but good (cereal, bread, peanut butter, fruit, coffee). It's right on the river and really pretty. The bathrooms were clean, but the shower drain was clogged with hair both times I used it. They allowed a lady to stay with her dog in the dorms, which was a bit of a nuisance. Other than those two things our stay was great. I'll definitely stay again if I return to Austin.

Hello and thank you for your feedback! We try our best to keep those darn showers unclogged, but since we continue to get guests with lots of hair it continues to be challenging. Also, we are aware of the dog in the hostel, but are obligated to let our guests with service dogs have the pleasure of staying with us as well. Looking forward to your return! Nicole Starr - General Manager, HI-Austin

One of my best hostel experiences anywhere. River location is fantastic. There is about a five minute walk to bus lines, no big deal. Staff was outstanding and helpful, rooms, bunk beds and bathrooms were clean. Will definitely return. Lesson learned: If you want a lower bunk, be sure to request it when you make a reservation.

• 15th Jul 2015

It's a little bit far from downtown. It's better to have a car when you travel to there.

I loved the place Mckinney

• 28th Jun 2015

Hostels can have too many restrictions - and I think HI is one of those. I feel that it keeps people from interact and be relaxed.. For me it kills the atmosphere of a nice place and I think people stick more to themselves or their friend that they are traveling with.

I am sorry that you think the hostel has too many restrictions. We definitely try to engage our guests with the community and with other guests, and have made huge strides in that effort. I think our guests will see much change in the near future with regard to unique experiences and interactions between individuals and groups. Any feedback that could positively impact our hostel dynamic is greatly appreciated. Hope to see you again! Nicole Starr - General Manager

great nice clean hostel very spacious and i stayed in a 14 bed - although it was only full once during my stay and one night there was only 3 people in the dorm. staff are great. its right by the lake and the sunsets are amazing - also right next to a place you can hire kayaks or bodyboards for the lake - only negative - there's always loads of little flies in the kitchen - i'm more than sure there's something you can buy to deter them?

Very good hostel. The staff may need to be more Welcoming.

• 18th Jun 2015