HI Austin Reviews

2200 S. Lakeshore Blvd., 78741, Austin, USA

It was good place

• 3rd Feb 2016
  • Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

I am 73 years old and stay at this hostel every time I come to Austin. Over the years the hostel has only improved. Kudos to all the recent updates.

Hostel was clean, well set up and at a lovely location on the lake!

It was very expensive for what it has to offer, the only place was dirty and far away from points of interest.

• 1st Jan 2016
  • Mexico

Nice location on the water and one of the most beautiful hostels I ever stayed. Maybe I picked a bad day, but the atmosphere was very weird. Old creepy men hanging out in the social rooms, I shared my room with a lady with obvious mental health issues and like 20 of her bags all over the whole room. I was afraid to leave anything outside the lockers when leaving the room. Staff said they are aware that she is weird, but wouldn't do anything. I moved to another hostel the next day.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I stayed in a 8-female dormitory. As with most hostels the dormitory was a little stinky and warm, the bathroom/ shower floor are always wet. The location is great! The price is great! Staff is nice/ professional, facility is very clean -clean linens, mattresses, communal kitchen area. The hostel is along the extensive lakeshore trail. Didn't try bus sys. but the Lakeshore YMCA is fantastic, ZACH theater production of Santaland Dairies is A+.

• 26th Nov 2015

Austin is still Awesome and HI Austin lived up to Austin's reputation as being a friendly and nice place to stay. The breakfast was awesome and the travelers staying there were awesome. The staff was awesome and made my stay something I will remember!

Great clean facilities, small amount of beds meant less people and quieter vibe. Set on the Colorado River which was beautiful! However a non paying individual managed to sneak into the hostel and stay 2 nights.

Lovely location on the lake. Near a great coffee place - The Buzz Mill. Short Uber/cab/drive to downtown, E 6th or Rainey. I really liked it here!

Beautiful setting, goes without saying. Nice walking area. I was awakened by night staff/clients - somebody - talking. I was also awakened at 5 am by two people who had put on their alarms. Maybe there could be a suggestion that alarms be put on vibrate or that the volume be reduced. Otherwise a very nice hostel with good ambience.

Beds too noisy

The location is excellent, close to The Boardwalk Trail. You can even walk to downtown. The staff, George and Lee were pleasant and welcoming. Wish I could have spent more time there.

• 26th Oct 2015

The hostel was generally good, and the location is great - very peaceful by the lake and there is a lovely walk into town alongside the water. Easy to get around and not far at all in an Uber to town. Was noisier than expected though - you can hear the hand dryer in the bathroom going at all times. Also the room constantly had a musty smell despite us opening the windows. The kitchen is good and enjoyed the free donations of bread!

• 25th Oct 2015

Nice hostel but nothing fun going on!

It's a 40 minute walk into downtown so not practical for going out at night without paying for an uber home but the hostel is lovely. It's pretty quiet, along the river walk which is a must do and the staff are really helpful. 24 hour reception is a bonus. The activities they put on are free and a great way to mingle, would recommend doing them.

I couldn't make it to Austin in time, I showed up a day later and they would not refund my Monday or apply it to the next night even though they weren't close to capacity either of the nights

During special events in Austin prices went up for those of us looking for same rates offered the rest of the year. Was a good night stay the linen pillows needed changing, and the showers needed a good bleach scrub down to freshen up but these were clean for the most part. Met some interesting people from different countries in town so the conversations were nice. Generally stay was good except some noisy early morning talkers in the dorm who didn't respect the rest of us sleeping.

• 3rd Oct 2015

It's just by the shore and stores are available in 5-10 mins walking time. Good place to chat and take a rest. I like the chairs, tables and the atmosphere here.

This is my first stay in a hostel in the USA. I thought the sleeping room and the common rooms were great, and I ilked the location personally, the neighborhood felt secure, quiet, and comfortable right along the lake. What I didn't like are the showerss. Towels are provided, but privacy was limited at best and the floor did not feel clean. Not enough secure shelves and hooks to place things like clothing, towels, and toothbrush/shavers/shampoo. The floor did not feel clean, and smelled odd

• 24th Sep 2015

The staff was friendly and nice and the hostel was clean in general but the location was a problem. Also, the dorms are overcrowded at times, with 14 people in one dorm its impossible to get some continous sleep.