HI-Baltimore Hostel Reviews

17 West Mulberry Street, Baltimore, USA

Good location for visiting Mount Vernon area, Peabody Institute and Walters Art Museum but long walk from Inner Harbor. Staff are great, very helpful, although hostel seemed very quiet and empty

Very friendly staff. Loved the taco Friday after a long day of travel and the morning breakfast as well. Next time I am in Baltimore I will definitely be staying again.

The staff really is awesome. I loved everyone that worked there, but Anthony is truly great. I have never met any staff at a hostel that was as cool as this guy. He helped me out a ton during my stay.

The pancake fixings and coffee were great!

• 8th Jun 2015

Great place to stay. We had parking for our rental car right behind the property. Walking distance to stadiums, and Harbor Place, which has tons of dining and drinking options.

Great location, extremely cool building. Free pancake breakfast was great. Great value for the money, would definitely stay again.

It is a perfect hostel!

At first I was not permitted to check-in because the address on my (expired) driver's license is within a certain mile range of the hostel (???!) -- first of all, I no longer live anywhere near Baltimore, and was visiting my old stomping grounds to see a friend, and second, I had only booked a room for one night, so whatever they're trying to enforce with this ABSURD rule doesn't apply. Was finally allowed to check in, but late at night this was NOT a cool situation.

• 9th May 2015

The men's bunk room was stinky! Not sure the hostel can do much about that, but it is what it is. Overall a great place!

Very good location, welcoming staff, clean facilities and rooms. The wifi was better than mine at home. Atmosphere could've been better but then again not a lot of people go to Baltimore, much less backpackers where I categorise myself. Takes 10 min to walk to the inner harbour which is the sunshine spot of Baltimore!

I only spent one night here at the 12 bed male dormitory. The staff was friendly and helpful and the place was reasonably clean. The location was decent, right opposite to the old cathedral, and a few blocks away from the artsy, posh Mount Vernon district. The harbour area is also not too far away and the walk is relatively safe. The only downside for me was that it was a bit too quiet (this was a Friday night) and didn't have the typical lively vibe like some of the other hostels I've been to.

very nice hostel

This hostel is already my home away from home since my first time here last summer 2014. Staff are awesome, it's cheap, clean, decent, quiet & has this wonderful home-feeling to it….

The staff was friendly and helpful, though on my 2nd and last night, I real drunk guy checked in my room, despite being against rules. Me and the other guests questioned that, but the girl on the night shift who seemed to be interested only in her boyfriend who was there with her during the night, asked us if we really minded him staying, as it was for one night only. Seriously? What about the rules? What about that guy who even had a price tag hanging on his jeans? I felt really unsafe.

I could not complete my stay at the hostel due to the 8X10 room with two bunk beds (4 people) and their scattered belongings. I could not even walk two feet onto the floor and then crawl up onto the bunk bed at my age. The other residents took my bedding so I had to get more bedding. and they had the space heater turned up to 100% all night which made the small room overheated. I left at 4am to get another hotel room. I think the hostel was wonderful and I truly wanted to stay but could not.

• 9th Mar 2015

Nice hostel with good common areas. Only thing I don't like about HI hostels is of course the temporary membership that one must pay.

This was my first hostel experience. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I was pleasantly surprised. Great atmosphere. I would definitely go back. Smores, campfires, pancakes, jam night. Very cool.

• 7th Feb 2015

Very nice stay, only a few people were in my all-female dorm room, and it was pleasantly quiet. The most exquisite antique building I've ever stayed in!