HI - Chicago Hostel Reviews

24 East Congress Parkway, Chicago, Chicago, USA

Definitely a good place to stay in Chicago, however I found the place to be a bit on the non-social side. But nonetheless, I always had a decent night's sleep and public transport was easily accessible..

I really enjoyed my stay at HI Chicago Hostel. The staff was very friendly and helpful upon my welcome and when I left. There was one man in particular who I thought was very down-to-earth and comedic. I don't remember what his name was but I do know that he was Caucasian, brown short hair, kind of had a raspy voice, and smiled a lot. He checked me in when I arrived and made me feel very welcome. I also loved my room and it's cleanliness, the bed sheets/linens and the continental breakfast.

• 19th Aug 2014

The main thing I noticed was that there was no cleaning of the bathroom ie different people were checking in and out and the same used towels were hanging by the hooks so there was none coming in to collect the old towels and giving fresh ones daily or every second day and so you wouldn't know who's was who's.

Good hostel in great central location. Note that it's big and sterile which is fine if you're travelling in a group or a only checking out the sights for a few days, but if you want a hostel with a community feel, this isn't it.

Excellent location, friendly staff, very clean rooms and also a great breakfast. The only thing that can be improved is the showers, they are quite old and weak. Other than that an awesome hostel so I'd highly recommend it.

Despite not being the cheapest hostel I've stayed in, it is quite good. The location is perfect - within walking distance to pretty much everything, worst case scenario that means the bus station that takes you wherever you want to go. The staff is friendly, the place is clean and there are lockers to store your valued stuff in. The atmosphere is nice too. The only comments I have is that the water pressure could be a tad higher and don't expect the breakfast to change. Overall great hostel, A+

Unfortunately I had to cancel my reservation due to illness.

• 12th Aug 2014

Nice room and meet nice People . dont expect parties for that you should go to Chicago.

In front of the elevators there was a pinboard with photos and propositions from other travelers of where to go and what to see. A very nice idea. We have been offered a free walking tour. Great!

• 11th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

It was a great experience. The volunteer-lead trips to the Jazz club, walking tour of Chicago, and bar crawl were all fantastic! Great opportunities to meet people from all over the world and explore a new city.

The hostel is good, is in a good location of Chicago! I liked soo much my stay in this hostel, except about an employee called ROBERT, the receptionist, he was too much stupid with me and my friends, and I saw him been stupid with others guests...

• 6th Aug 2014

Great location, good facilities, would defs stay here again.

This has been the best hostel that I've ever stayed in. Great location, easy to find, absolutely clean, and worth much higher in terms of value than you'll be charged. I could not recommend this place enough.

Great option and location! Breakfast is very helpful. Bathroom paper and towels may run and you should ask for some on front desk but the service is awesome

• 30th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Great hostel in a great location! Felt instantly at home, safe and well taken cared for! The staff at the reception could be a bit more welcoming, but all in all the staff is very helpful. Second floor has fantastic common spaces, including a spacious eating area and kitchen, which are open day and night. So if the dorms are a bit noisy or stuffy, there is alsways a place to escape to and write those letters or read that book. Highly recommendable, would come back any day!

• 30th Jul 2014

I stayed here because it is close to Grant Park and I was attending the Lollapalooza music festival in August. You can't find a better location in downtown Chicago! Security, facilities and staff are all top notch, as with most large chain hostels, but being an alcohol free, family hostel I felt some lacking in atmosphere. Did the job and I would definitely stay at H.I. Chicago again.

Hostelling International was a great place to stay to explore beautiful Chicago!It's about a 10min walk to Millenium Park, State Street for Shopping and also the theaters (if you plan to see a musical). What impressed me the most at HI was the breakfast buffet!They offer you a wide range of food (muffins, bagles, toast, 3 different muesli, porridge, 3 sorts of fruits, orange juice, coffee)!just the staff is a bit unfriendly. Anyway would recommend it to everyone

It is in an old building, and cleanliness is not the best. I went upstairs and saw my assigned bed not cleaned or rearranged. the kitchen on the 4th floor was not very clean. But overall, nice experience at the price rage.

The best hostel I've ever been. It is cheap, very comfortable, very well located and you don't have to worry about being in a room with 10 people. The room is very big, clean and the bed is very comfortable (it is perfect after a tiring day walk). I will always look for HI hostels now.

very nice and friendly place. Best breakfast I ever had in my Hostels !!! The room was ok, just a different to share with 7 people, most no long sleep. But I slept very good in this beds. Bathroom and shower wasn't that clean, but with 8 girls ;) Lots of activities from the Hostel. I just love this City

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5