HI - Chicago Hostel Reviews

24 East Congress Parkway, Chicago, Chicago, USA

In front of the elevators there was a pinboard with photos and propositions from other travelers of where to go and what to see. A very nice idea. We have been offered a free walking tour. Great!

• 11th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

As with most HI's in the US, it was a big, clean hostel with good facilities and decent location. However, (and also like my experience with other HI's in america) it had a very lacklustre atmosphere, the social area was rarely occupied, the pub crawl pulled a tiny crowd. There did appear to be a visiting school group of some sort, but that's exactly what I try to avoid in a hostel. By all accounts the Wrigley area of town (and hostels there) are more the young adult social scene I was seeking.

It was a great experience. The volunteer-lead trips to the Jazz club, walking tour of Chicago, and bar crawl were all fantastic! Great opportunities to meet people from all over the world and explore a new city.

The hostel is good, is in a good location of Chicago! I liked soo much my stay in this hostel, except about an employee called ROBERT, the receptionist, he was too much stupid with me and my friends, and I saw him been stupid with others guests...

• 6th Aug 2014

Great location, good facilities, would defs stay here again.

This has been the best hostel that I've ever stayed in. Great location, easy to find, absolutely clean, and worth much higher in terms of value than you'll be charged. I could not recommend this place enough.

Great option and location! Breakfast is very helpful. Bathroom paper and towels may run and you should ask for some on front desk but the service is awesome

• 30th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Great hostel in a great location! Felt instantly at home, safe and well taken cared for! The staff at the reception could be a bit more welcoming, but all in all the staff is very helpful. Second floor has fantastic common spaces, including a spacious eating area and kitchen, which are open day and night. So if the dorms are a bit noisy or stuffy, there is alsways a place to escape to and write those letters or read that book. Highly recommendable, would come back any day!

• 30th Jul 2014

I stayed here because it is close to Grant Park and I was attending the Lollapalooza music festival in August. You can't find a better location in downtown Chicago! Security, facilities and staff are all top notch, as with most large chain hostels, but being an alcohol free, family hostel I felt some lacking in atmosphere. Did the job and I would definitely stay at H.I. Chicago again.

Hostelling International was a great place to stay to explore beautiful Chicago!It's about a 10min walk to Millenium Park, State Street for Shopping and also the theaters (if you plan to see a musical). What impressed me the most at HI was the breakfast buffet!They offer you a wide range of food (muffins, bagles, toast, 3 different muesli, porridge, 3 sorts of fruits, orange juice, coffee)!just the staff is a bit unfriendly. Anyway would recommend it to everyone

It is in an old building, and cleanliness is not the best. I went upstairs and saw my assigned bed not cleaned or rearranged. the kitchen on the 4th floor was not very clean. But overall, nice experience at the price rage.

The best hostel I've ever been. It is cheap, very comfortable, very well located and you don't have to worry about being in a room with 10 people. The room is very big, clean and the bed is very comfortable (it is perfect after a tiring day walk). I will always look for HI hostels now.

very nice and friendly place. Best breakfast I ever had in my Hostels !!! The room was ok, just a different to share with 7 people, most no long sleep. But I slept very good in this beds. Bathroom and shower wasn't that clean, but with 8 girls ;) Lots of activities from the Hostel. I just love this City

Stayed here one night with no problems. Every time I'm in Chicago, I book with Hi Hostel. The location can't be beat.

Very clean and large hostel. Free breakfast didnt have enough plates/cups for everyone so get there early. Staff was nice, but hostel events were awkward and boring.

Great place in a great city. Beware of your surroundings while taking the Orange line, and only use any lines of the "L" during busy times of the day--recent armed robbery on the Orange line. I'll only take a cab or van from now on when I'm in Chicago--what a shame! I've always felt safe on the "L" before I read about the robbery in the Tribune the day after it happened this past week.

I stayed at HI hostels in Boston, DC and LA and this was definitely the best one. HUGE rooms, HUGE common area. Excellent location right near millennium park and just off Michigan ave. Wifi didn't work in my room but I think it was because my room was on the buildings end. Everyone else seemed to have it in their rooms although the common area is nice so i could just use it there.

Amazing location! Walk distance to so many things! Easy to get to from the airport and great access to heaps of public transport! Okay activities! Super clean! Very helpful staff!!

• 15th Jul 2014

Location is perfect and 10 people dorms are huge.

HI Youth Hostel is advantageously located on loop in Chicago. Decor is tasteful, fresh and modern yet practical and functional. Atmosphere was quiet at all times. Breakfast was healthy and plentiful in a room with a view of the "L" Train. Amenities include activity areas for youth social opportunities, kitchenettes, plenty of soft seating for conversation groups, comfortable beds with linens provided. No soap bar provided. . .bring your own. Overall, very nice and served our needs well.

• 13th Jul 2014