HI - Chicago Hostel Reviews

24 East Congress Parkway, Chicago, Chicago, USA

Everything was excellent, but not the atmosphere. If you are trying to find an excellent place to stay in Chicago, that's it. But do not expect a much interaction with other travellers.

Awesome Location, walk-able to a lot of attractions. Spacious and clean rooms. Free Breakfast. Enjoyed my stay. Total value for money.

• 23rd May 2015
  • India

The good is that this hostel is in an excellent location & there's an excellent café on the first floor (with surprisingly delicious sandwiches). Unfortunately, the good stops there. The staff was uninformative about places to visit, best times to visit, etc. Do your own research. You won't get any help here. Furthermore, one of the male staff members entered into our female dorm (THREE times) with just a swipe of card & no knocking beforehand. What if I was naked??? He seemed unapologetic too.

One of employee was very unkind. When I asked her to get another towel, she told me that they don`t have spare towel now and she`ll give it to me later, but I haven`t recieved it till checkout. My bed is by the exit of the room and I was worried if my luggage is stolen. So I asked her to change my bed into another bed. That bed is empty, For sure, It was 11:00 and someone checked out already. But she refused to change my bed and eventually my sunglasses was stolen from my bag at room 410.

• 15th May 2015
  • South Korea

I had a top time here,only one comment and I feel it should be looked into.there was a large school group,a group of some sort anyway,and they ran riot.the teachers and parentsp,handlers had no control pover the kids.they were standing in the pool table,they were shouting all night,etc I had a word to one if the handlers and it gave me a blank stare,as if to say,they are only kids.surely the teachers etc gave taught them to have some manners.it was not good.

It's a giant hostel machine with no feeling or atmosphere. If you need cheap lodgings I guess it would be fine. It's just not somewhere you would want to hang out. Definitely don't recommended if travelling alone.

I have always enjoyed staying at this hostel. It is great to see people of all ages including families. One of my favorite things you do is the sign up sheet for activities. Thanks

• 14th May 2015

I feel HI hostels receive inflated review scores only because atmosphere and staff are what I believe to be MOST important when it comes to a hostel (not a hotel), but are scaled down to other attributes that they do well. This felt like a pseudo hotel with not enough showers.

This was FOR SURE AN AMAZING SURPRISE! It was my first experience with Hostelling International and I was amazed by the facilities, so clean and cozy. The bed was more comfortable than my own bed at home. Besides the location (in the loop) makes easy for you to go walking to all main attractions from Chicago. The staff is friendly and open to help you with anything you need (even fixing a light bulb on a sunday afternoon). Come on and book it already, no regrets, I guarantee.

• 10th May 2015

Enjoyed my stay at Hi-Chicago hostel. I would love to recommend my friends to stay there.

• 7th May 2015
  • Pakistan

This hostel was very boring. The activities for young people started so early, not much atmosphere and you couldn't drink at the hostel. Needed pub crawls and more night events. Very old person feel.

• 5th May 2015

The biggest hostel I've seen so far! It's really clean, good facilities, nice looking and the location is amazing. Breakfast is pretty good. I really can't complain about anything.

Great nice clean hostel with some great activites and close by to the train system which is great

Excellent hostel. One of the best i've ever stayed in

• 25th Apr 2015

Will definitely stay there again if I visit Chicago.

Wish I cold have stayed longer...

• 19th Apr 2015

Hands down the classiest hostel I've stayed in, and I've been to hundreds of hostels around the globe now. Clean, friendly, safe, lively, well organised, good breakfast, great common area, free luggage storage, amazing location, information centre, laundry, self service kitchens... I stayed here half way through travels across America and this was the best stop for me to recooperate. Wish I could have stayed longer!

My daughter and I stayed at the HI Chicago while we visited a college in the city. We could not have asked for a better place to stay. The people and the staff were all great! We'll come back again! Thanks!

• 10th Apr 2015

I have thoughts about the hostel's perfection, it's like they know what I want being a student. Everything I need as a student is there, washer, stove, shower, bed. The check in-out times are enough for me to rest from traveling. Thank you and thanks for the friendly customer service.

• 4th Apr 2015

I loved Chicago and the hostel is in a perfect location!!! The wifi worked really well and the hostel activities were really good!