HI Copa Hostel Reviews

Avenida N.S. Copacabana, 1077 -, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

We have been traveling for 4 months now and this was the worst hostel we have stayed in. They messed up our accommodation numerous times and even cut off our looks from the lockers and took all our things because they thought we were checking out but we were payed up for 2 weeks. The majority of the staff were extremely rude and unhelpful. Kobi was the exception, he would always go out of his way to help us and his BBQ nights were fantastic.

Pros: Location, atmosphere Cons: Wi-Fi is limited (dificult to get signal in rooms) and w/c are not always working

Awesome hostel!! would definitely stay here again! Staff was super friendly and organized with setting up tours. breakfast was great. location is perfect!

• 30th Jun 2014

Copa Hostel was a fun place to stay, great upstairs patio with pool, amazing BBQ's. One staff member was very helpful and went out of his way to make you feel at home, the others I found a little rude and disinterested, please look up from your computer when I approach the front desk and maybe crack a smile! Wifi only worked in the reception area and there was only 2 toilets/showers on the top level.

I stayed here for 2 weeks during the world cup. This was the best hostel I stayed in during my 5 week stay in Rio. The hostel is in a great location near the Copacabana beach and the Contaglio metro stop. The Hostel puts on good events such as barbecues etc. The breakfast were good too. The wifi was a little slow but this is common in most hostels in Rio.

Stayed at the hostel in RIO during the World Cup. Overall was happy, prices were super inflated due to the event, but it was clean (bathrooms done every 4-5 times a day). Area was on main road close to beach so super safe. People at hostel were awesome. The Wednesday night latin party is fun/loud but be ready not to sleep that night! Weekly BBQ delicious. Great rooftop patio & common area. WiFi was terrible & only works in lobby. Would come back for sure but only in private rooms

• 18th Jun 2014

Great place, wifi sucked, close to the beach, clean

Overall great location. The staff is nice too, especially jacob whose a very helpful guy. The hostel is not great for meeting new people, as it lacked a common area where people gather. Anyways, breakfast is basic but passable. Their was a night club with toolbags whose music blasted until 4am which screwed the people who wanted to sleep at 2am after a long days drinking but overall the location could not be beaten. Pizza place next door is good for late eats, anyhows rio was sick. Philly Chris

I loved my time at Copa Hostel. Staff were great and helpful and the location was ideal. BBQ on the roof was great value and very good quality. Breakfast was standard ham and cheese toasties with some fruit but did the job. However there is no pool there just a bathtub on the roof so don't get too excited! Moa does a great favela tour.

The overload rooms they rented elsewhere for the world cup had poor facilities, the TV and the air con did not work.

I am not sure if it was because of the world cup and the high demand for the hostel but this was by far the worst hostel I have slept in. I suggest to them if they are going to sub let apartments in order to meet demand they should make sure that apartments are up to date in maintenance and security. Also it was a ridiculously over priced for what was delivered. Also the sports cable to the hostel was cut 1 day before the world cup. The best part of the entire hostel was the free breakfast.

Great location and cheap but a very poor hostel. Upon arrival we were told our room is in another building a few blocks away, which was an old apartment. None of the locks on the doors were working so our stuff never felt safe, there were 2 toilets, 2 couches and a very small kitchen to share between 18 people, and there was blood on the floor of the bathroom when we arrived. Staff were very unhelpful. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

Went during the World Cup so perhaps not the usual state of this hostel. It seemed like they had rented out extra apartments to cover the demand. As a result I was located 1 block away from the main hostel so not as convenient to use the other facilities the hostel offered (wifi, bar, reception etc.).

The only good thing about this hostel was the location. Air con did not work, TV had no sound, pool was dirty and the staff gave me the impression that they did not really care for the guest. The guy who takes the favela tour is a champ!

stayed at this hostel during carnival, great location. we were staying in the separate apartments from the hostel itself but only a block away and were very clean and secure. hostel itself has nice chill out area upstairs and cool rooftop with small pool. staff were very friendly and tours offered we found were great value for money. bar downstairs can get very busy at night, Q's in can take a while. there should be Q-skip for paying hostelers..

Manager who is never there, and when i did see him come through, carried himself like he was far to important to acknowledge the guests. There are quotes a few "weird" things with this hostel. whats with the dogs walking around at breakfasting the breakfast area, and where do all the people come from at breakfast? most of the staff is unwelcoming at first, but quite nice once you get past that.

I really did not like this hostel for a number of reasons, firstly the staff are strange. There are constantly cleaners in the hostel who seem to actually live there ie use the bathrooms/are asleep in the common areas in the middle of the night in the couches but don't actually clean. The admin staff bar one lovely girl are not very friendly. One guy is creepy and kept calling me baby. The breakfast is terrible, pool water disgusting, aircon the worst I have ever experienced. Was no wifi also.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels