HI Copa Hostel Reviews

Avenida N.S. Copacabana, 1077 -, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

They charged us $125 USD a night and made us pay everything up front. We asked if we could see the rooms before paying and they flat out said no. We made a bad decision and paid anyways so we wouldn't lose our approx. $150 deposit. When we got to the room it was a disaster, the doorknob was broken off, it looked like the rooms and bathrooms hadn't been cleaned in weeks. 2 of the 3 showers didn't work, 1 of the 2 toilets was clogged with excrement everywhere.

The hostel was overbooked and we were sent off to an apartment two blocks down with other travelers. We get there and there is a couch guy living there....just on the couch part of the "staff" I don't know. The apartment smelled but worst were the washrooms. 4 showers but only 2 works but not at the same time bc of water pressure issues so 1 showers. For 4 rooms (8 guys in each room on bunk beds) not pretty. 2 toilets...one always clogged. Got so bad I went to starbucks every morning.

• 14th Jun 2014

I loved my time at Copa Hostel. Staff were great and helpful and the location was ideal. BBQ on the roof was great value and very good quality. Breakfast was standard ham and cheese toasties with some fruit but did the job. However there is no pool there just a bathtub on the roof so don't get too excited! Moa does a great favela tour.

The overload rooms they rented elsewhere for the world cup had poor facilities, the TV and the air con did not work.

I am not sure if it was because of the world cup and the high demand for the hostel but this was by far the worst hostel I have slept in. I suggest to them if they are going to sub let apartments in order to meet demand they should make sure that apartments are up to date in maintenance and security. Also it was a ridiculously over priced for what was delivered. Also the sports cable to the hostel was cut 1 day before the world cup. The best part of the entire hostel was the free breakfast.

Great location and cheap but a very poor hostel. Upon arrival we were told our room is in another building a few blocks away, which was an old apartment. None of the locks on the doors were working so our stuff never felt safe, there were 2 toilets, 2 couches and a very small kitchen to share between 18 people, and there was blood on the floor of the bathroom when we arrived. Staff were very unhelpful. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

Went during the World Cup so perhaps not the usual state of this hostel. It seemed like they had rented out extra apartments to cover the demand. As a result I was located 1 block away from the main hostel so not as convenient to use the other facilities the hostel offered (wifi, bar, reception etc.).

The only good thing about this hostel was the location. Air con did not work, TV had no sound, pool was dirty and the staff gave me the impression that they did not really care for the guest. The guy who takes the favela tour is a champ!

stayed at this hostel during carnival, great location. we were staying in the separate apartments from the hostel itself but only a block away and were very clean and secure. hostel itself has nice chill out area upstairs and cool rooftop with small pool. staff were very friendly and tours offered we found were great value for money. bar downstairs can get very busy at night, Q's in can take a while. there should be Q-skip for paying hostelers..

Manager who is never there, and when i did see him come through, carried himself like he was far to important to acknowledge the guests. There are quotes a few "weird" things with this hostel. whats with the dogs walking around at breakfasting the breakfast area, and where do all the people come from at breakfast? most of the staff is unwelcoming at first, but quite nice once you get past that.

I really did not like this hostel for a number of reasons, firstly the staff are strange. There are constantly cleaners in the hostel who seem to actually live there ie use the bathrooms/are asleep in the common areas in the middle of the night in the couches but don't actually clean. The admin staff bar one lovely girl are not very friendly. One guy is creepy and kept calling me baby. The breakfast is terrible, pool water disgusting, aircon the worst I have ever experienced. Was no wifi also.

Copa Hostel has a good localization at Copacabana and there are restaurants, markets, drug stores and banks nearby. However, attendance of employees and physical structure is bad and bedrooms and bathrooms are very dirty! On days when I was staying, Internet/wi-fi did not work. I paid for a service that was not provided to me. The daily cheap hostel is not worth it, in view of the terrible services offered.

• 22nd Jan 2014

Excellent location one block from Copacabana beach and the staff were the most helpful I think I've ever met in a hostel!!!! Can't praise them highly enough. The dorms were very small and cramped, the lockers were very big though. Not enough showers or toilets for everyone. Not a great atmosphere when I was there and no other Europeans at all - was very much a hostel for Brazilian and other South American travellers, so if your Portuguese or Spanish isn't great you might be a bit lonely!

• 12th Jan 2014

There's a nice common area but it unexplicably opens during breakfast only. I had issues with broken keys (broken by the staff) and it took 3 hours to have them back. I lost my coat inside the hostel and none of the staff was really willing to help me, I had to find it on my own.

this hostel is located near one of the most popular beaches in the world, they have such a high demand that they don't need to offer a quality place for the travelers. everything is the bare minimum. and honestly, the location is not that great either. yes it's really close to Copacabana, but it's really hectic with so much traffic, noise and crowd. you won't feel relaxed at all at this location.

• 1st Jan 2014
  • Taiwan

Would not stay again. Most of the staff were good and the location was good. The 12 women dorm were crammed in one room as a result the A/c did not reach the people sleeping in the corner by the windows. I was in a all male 8 bed dorm woke up (around4-5 am) to a creepy person fondling me. Anyways that was disturbing but not the hostels fault. I told the counter staff what had happened. They spoke to the manager and a spoke to a witness confirm. Nothing was done. I felt very uncomfortable.

Is located in the middle of Copacabana and 2 blocks from the beach. It has two open spaces to meet people including a swimming pool area and a large living room.

Safe, clean, good breakfast. Its also good location near the beach and on the main copa road. Id recommend it if you wna stay in copacabana, but ipanema is safer, nicer and more modern.

+ Perfect location, helpful stuff. - Not clean, not enough bathrooms. There is a bar in the 1st floor of the hostel and the building is vibrating during the discos at night.

There is no place were you can meet the other guests. Very close to copacabana beach Good breakfast

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels