HI - Honolulu - Waikiki Hostel Reviews

Hostelling International Waikiki, 2417 Prince Edward Street, Honolulu, Oahu, Honolulu, USA

The booked two single beds were actually a bunk bed, rooms were not cleanded daily, WIFI did not work, hostel staff was rather interested in their private stuff than dealing with the guests. Very cheap and excellent loacation in Waikiki though.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Austria

Aloha, thanks for pointing this out, this stuff is mentioned on our website, but sometimes people don't read through. There are pictures of the private rooms some have bunk beds others have a double, there are no single beds. Private rooms are not cleaned daily only dorms are. WIFI works only in the common areas.

Fantastic location. Only wish they had a fan in the common room -- it gets too hot during the days there. :-)

room didnt get cleaned once in 5 days. added extras onto bill on arrival but no mention of it prior.no air con,

For the price and the location it totaly worth it. The rooms are OK, everyday a guy came to clean it. Some dudes from the staff are not too much friendly, but others are helpful. One of the only problems for me was that you can't drink in the hostel facilities, there are many bars around but it's not the cheapest places to buy a beer. I would recommend and maybe would stay here again.

We stay 4 nights in a private room. Sec: No lockers and also the door couldn't lock. Loc: Perfect! Staff: It was just "OK". Not to much friendly (some guys) to say at least a "hello". Atm: It' s good. Clean: On common areas was fine, but our room wasn't so clean. The bathroom seems to was uncleaned and our linens was dirty with something like suntan oil. Also, never anyone get in to clean at least the rubbish bins! We use our linen! Fac: Poor condition of the Wi-Fi.

The rooms are not air-conditioned but do have fans. The tradeoff is that you get to stay in Waikiki for cheap. There are small lockers available to store some small items in your room (bring your own lock) or you can store them in the office where your lock will secure them. The common area/kitchen NEEDS A FAN!!! The heat from food prep tends to heat up the room, as do the people using the room. A fan would be a huge addition and greatly improve the ability to stay in that room and socialize.

• 20th Sep 2014

Excellent location. Close to beach, shopping and dining. It's cheap. It's filthy, disgustingly filthy. Staff are nice guys but they are clueless. Don't have any good suggestions for dining. No map of area at hostel. Events are posted but no one organizes thing. Lockers are bent and fingers can reach inside. No AC. No screens on windows. No windows. Loud garbage pickup every weekday at 6-7am. Gross, gross, gross, filthy, filthy, filthy. $3 surcharge per night not on my HW confirmation.

Hey , I'm surprised that despite the fact that you seemed to absolutely dislike our hostel you stayed here 7 nights. Why didn't you come talk to me about your concerns? I would have been happy to give you a refund so you could stay at a place to your liking.

No air con in private room and only had 1 fan, which was attached to the ceiling facing down on the side of the bed. It was literally hotter in the room than outside which was miserable for Sept weather. Way too warm to sleep comfortably at night.

• 16th Sep 2014

Great location and friendly staff. Excellent value for money. Would be great if rooms had better fans or air conditioning.

• 15th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

7am open the kitchen was something had to get use to.

• 12th Sep 2014

I loved my stay it was 2 blocks away from the Waikiki beach, the staff was nice and the rooms where clean! It reminded me of my college days. If you debating on staying at a hostel trust me no worries you will love it I didn't wanna leave I will miss my roommates so much.

• 31st Aug 2014

A friendly, well-located hostel. A most enjoyable stay.

No aircon but thats really the only negative!the location is amazing it is right next to the beach so for the money its perfect!staff are helpful and really friendly as much as they can be

A fantastic base in which to explore waikiki. It is secure, quiet, spotlessly clean and accommodating. However it is the staff who make this place - a credit to HI. Many thanks to Gonzalo, Rocco and Art for being exceptional.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Too hot for the lack of A/C. Fans in the room are honestly ineffective. Wifi only works in the kitchen.

Mahalo to all the staff, including the manager, Angel. I am appreciative of your openness, kindness and availabilities. This is a recommendable hostel. In my travels around the world, I have always enjoyed staying at a HI. Honolulu is no different. All of you are doing a good job.

• 17th Aug 2014

Awesome time there. Great Staff!!!

VERY BASIC. Great location. We booked into the hostel, waited 3 hours for our room to be cleaned. We then asked to see the room and were very disappointed. The facilities may be perfect for others but I guess our expectations were a little high, having stayed in some wonderful hostels around the world. The staff kindly arranged for the cancellation and we understood we would lose our deposit. We then checked into a hotel. The HI Hostel at Waikiki was just not for us. Thanks.

• 13th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

They might charge you an extra $3 per night if you don't have a HI card. Most of the staff were fantastic however one particular guy who's name starts with a B.... has an attitude problem and he should not be working in a hostel. Not much of social vibe here but the wifi and location are excellent.

Shame some of the staff couldn't be a bit more enthusiastic with their guests and actually provide a service u expect from a HI. However Gonzalo and Rocko are fab!

• 6th Aug 2014