HI - Honolulu - Waikiki Hostel Reviews

Hostelling International Waikiki, 2417 Prince Edward Street, Honolulu, Oahu, Honolulu, USA

Great location, right in the middle of it all. Easy access to main attractions. Also have free boogie boards, seats etc to take with you to the beach! Room was big, bathroom was on the small side. Downsides, the 2 nights I was there, there was no hot water.

The location is amazing, the Hostel is right on Waikiki beach, the only way you would get better location is if you were in one of the costly posh hotels. The hostel does feel a little like you are back at school and for travelers such as my wife and I, it can be a little patronising. There are boggy boards and chairs for the the beach and you just pick them up from the reception. The TV room and kitchen is cool. The Location is the biggest selling point and for that alone it is worth it

I had a great stay at HI Waikiki! It's a great location and the staff was very nice and knowledgable about the island. It was a great base station for exploring. I would defiantly stay again and recommend it to anyone wanting to see Oahu.

• 12th Mar 2015

Two blocks from Waikiki beach with cheap surfboard rental shop in between. 1 block from $5 breakfast at Korean place. 2 blocks from grocery store (Food Pantry) and other affordable restaurants and diners on Kuhio. Convenient bus stops on Kuhio. Dry/smoke free hostel but a really good thing in our opinion despite fact we like to party. Got our party on in the dark side of Kuhio and returned to a quiet hostel for sound sleep. Great place!

This hostel is a 5 minute walk from Waikiki Beach and you would be hard pressed to find somewhere else with a location like that for so cheap! It wasn't a particularly social hostel, but this didn't bother my friend & I, as we were spending the majority of our time in Hawaii outside of course! The price we paid for our week in Waikiki was hardly a fraction of what we would have paid for a hotel, and we still had a private double with our own bathroom. There's really nothing to complain about!

I have things stolen in my room and food also stolen in the kitchen. The kitchen just open closes at midnight and just open at 7am, it didnt work for me, cause we wanted leave at 6:30am. But the hostel is very clean and has a good location.

• 1st Mar 2015

I was glad that I made the choice to stay here. It is well located and very comfortable to be in. The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean, and the staff was awesome. The only complaint I had was that the locks on the building almost worked too well and sometimes I had to try several times to get the lock to give, even when I was using the correct key, it was just a very stiff lock. The lack of AC wasn't a big deal (in March...) the windows and fans were more than enough.

Great hostel! Clean and great location! Stayed there for a week, really enjoyed it!

Very good location and security!

Upon leaving this hostel - a day early - I looked at the wall and noticed the "artwork" in my room. It was a black frame with cardboard in it. That non-existent art sums up my stay. I was checked in without incident, however I was only given A sheet as linen. My bed was devoid of any bedding and reception was closed by that point. There were no visable outlets to plug anything in, no ventallation, and the place was quite noisy. I've stayed in better hostels in developing countries.

Best hostel in Waikiki. (I also stayed in Seaside hostel). Excellent location just a block from Waikiki beach, main shopping street, lots of restaurants and bars nearby. 6 bed dorm is more like a 3 bed as it is divided into two rooms. Excellent kitchen to cook meals since its pricey to eat out everyday. Met lots of other travellers there to go hiking with and rent a car to north shore. Staff are AWESOME. Especially Rocko! He should get a raise.

Kitchen could be opened before 7AM.

Many thanks to all staff members ... doing a great job and being very friendly :o) ...

Really good location, only 2 blocks from the beach. Close to shops and restaurant. Hostel is great and clean, you can borrow for free a towel, beach chairs, snorkelling gear etc. It's my second time here and I'll definitely come back!

• 29th Jan 2015

The price is fair, and the location is great: central Waikīkī, short walk from the beach. It's very clean in both the common areas and the rooms. As a dry hostel, it attracts a different type of traveller than most of the other hostels around Honolulu, so bare that in mind if you're more the party/social animal. The kitchen is large with cooking equipment available and the hostel lets you borrow towels & beach toys. The only real negative for me was the lack of wifi outside the common areas.

Supply a hand towel or paper towels in all of the bathrooms, plus air freshener.

• 26th Jan 2015

The whole check in Only after 3pm is ridiculous! Got stared at while I was storing my valuables in one of the four lockers provided so I could hangout at the beach without worrying. Small lockers compared to Seaside Hostel that has big lockers. The bed was terrible. Springs in my back, lumps and a crazy door to room that would swing open even if no wind as it squeaks loudly. It was so frustrating trying to be quiet when I got back late. I love how it had a tub which is rare in a hostel.

Fantastic location right on Waikiki beach. It's a pretty basic hostel, but clean and with friendly staff. The only thing I would have liked to have known before I got there was that there is a pretty long and steep set of stairs to get up to their office-- luckily! the very nice guy at the front desk helped me with my massive suitcase!

• 21st Jan 2015

Very nice and helpful staff.

• 19th Jan 2015
  • Switzerland

Even though we didn't enjoy Waikiki so much, this hostel was a great find. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Our private room with en suite was simple but all we needed as we were out most of the time.

• 17th Jan 2015