HI - Los Angeles - Santa Monica Hostel Reviews

1436 2nd Street, CA 90401, Los Angeles, USA

2095 Total Reviews

Santa Monica was a great area to visit and Hostelling International in Santa Monica was a great place to stay in. I enjoyed the pasta night and the pub crawl they had on offer at the hostel. I wish I had stayed at this hostel when I visited Los Angeles in October 2008 but fortunately fulfilled my promise to myself of staying here if I returned to Los Angeles. I would definitely stay at this hostel if I returned to Los Angeles again.

I thought the hostel atmosphere, facilities, location, cleanliness, how modern it looked were all amazing! They had so many added extras that made the stay so much nicer too. the only improvement i would make would be to the mattresses, im quite a small person and every time i lay down i could feel the bed frame underneath me it was so thin. I dont think it was every bed though, and it definitely wouldnt put me oglff from staying here again.

Great hostel even if it is a little expensive. The location is fantastic, staff very kind and helpful. Beds are comfortable and my roommates were great too. Very respectful and quiet! We were lucky to be at the end if the corridor so no one walked past our room in the night, so peaceful sleeps for the whole stay! Would definitely recommend this hostel!

• 30th Sep 2014

Extremely overpriced and absolutely no atmosphere. Wouldn't stay here unless you are in a group before you arrive.

This is an amazing hostel located in the heart of the city, just 1 or two minutes walk from 3rd street shopping and the same from the beach front. The hostel was very friendly with great common areas to meet other travellers, would recommend this place to anyone wanting to stay in Santa Monica!

No aircon in the rooms so it gets EXTREMELY hot at night, and the WiFi is pretty poor, but other than that, the location is amazing, you can lock all your valuables away in a locker using your own lock for added security! The staff were friendly but they didn't give me any information on where breakfast was held or about using the key cards, and for my first time in a hostel I was pretty confused until I manged to figure it out myself!

• 28th Sep 2014

Wish hostel had smaller rooms and/or privacy curtains around beds. One girl was sick and was always in bed. She kept closing the windows ( I kept opening them). Sick people really should stay in a hotel or private room.

The frozen mini bagels served during breakfast were kind of awkward to cut in half and toast; and they seem almost purposefully made to easily get stuck inside machines. Where's the regular bread? Also, there was no hot water to take a shower with at all on Friday night to Saturday morning. Come on and step up your game you $50/night hostel!! Otherwise, everything else was as good as expected.

This is an okay hostel, I just don't think the value for money is good. I payed over 50 dollars for one night (in an 8-bed-dorm), had to pay extra for storing my bag on the day I checked out, and I couldn't even use a computer for free. Also my towel and linen had stains on them and sleeping on that matress felt like lying in a halfpipe.

Great hostel. They've thought of everything. Big rooms good beds and a top location.

I think this hostel is the best one I have ever stayed. The location is good, safe, and walk around to see seaside is just about a minute. They have enough vending machines for me who is really a lazy person to buy instant noodle and other stuff easily. Compare to the Hollywood hostel , I prefer this one because the facility is also better and there is bigger space for people to relax. I will definitely come back if I visit LA again.

It's a good Hostel, a good chain (HI). You can have some troubles in the summer, cause is to HOT there e dont have air cond., have a LOT of people that can enter on the hostel WITHOUT pay for it, a lot of people sleep on the ground of the dorm. Had a good staff, a good atmosphere. The most strange thing was the hostel was hot like hell and when I tried took a shower just had a hot shower.. amazing..

This place is awesome. I've stayed here on several occasions and the staff is super friendly and welcoming. Taylor caught me having a meltdown and was just the sweetest helping me calm down and getting me a great room. They work really hard to make this a great hostel and it shows. It's super safe, there's a mutual respect among the travellers. In the LA area, there is no question that this is the best place to stay.

All in all a quite good hostel. I was in a 6-bed-dorm which offered quite a lot of space. Unfortunarely the beds were quite short (with 1.83m I am not a giant). There was no airconditioning in the rooms, it was really hot (the fan only made a lot of noise but did not really cool down). Nights are quite boring at that hostel - people communicate with their iPads and smartphones but not to each other. Alcoholic drinks are not allowed, not even beer...

Amazing location

Great location (10 min from the Santa Monica pier, and the third street promenade), free breakfast, wi-fi is working really well, but 10 beds in a room is getting really hot at night, not enough activities to meet people and no alcohols is allow in the hostel.

best hostel in santa monica

Loved the Hostel with it's nice location in the heart of santa monica! Just a few minutes to the beach.:) The only problem I had was the missing air conditioning. Santa Monica can get really hot at night so I could barely sleep in a room with 9 others and about 90 degrees Fahrenheit... Other than that I had a wonderful time and espeacially the breakfast and the many free activities like hiking or a LA city tour were really nice!

Very close to the beach and the shopping streets. Very secured outside even at night. The front entrance and the door to your room requires a card key to get opened. But you must be careful not to get things stolen just in case. There are several public rooms that has sofas, computers, TVs. Free Wi-Fi is provided throughout the building. The shared bathrooms with showers were not that clean and comfortable. The dishes for your breakfast weren't either. Dishes are all washed without soap!!

• 28th Aug 2014
  • Japan

Nice location, cool and clean hostel only the male showers on the 3rd floor is like going into a oven!

You'll be happy to know that we are planning on renovating the bathrooms in the near future - so come back and check them out!