HI - Los Angeles - Santa Monica Hostel Reviews

1436 2nd Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401, Los Angeles, USA

1966 Total Reviews

I loved the water bottle filler! Haven't seen that anywhere but it's so convenient and green :)

• 18th Jun 2014
  • Belgium

staff were absolutely terrible, inattentive rude and aloof. the only atmosphere to speak of was the loud dingles out the front, no fun to be had anywhere else. never paid this much for a dorm bed, never again

Great location. The staff are okay. Not the friendliest or most enthusiastic people ever but that's fine. The only thing I really disliked was that the key I received to get into my room did not work. I had to carry all my luggage up and down the stairs 2 or 3 times to keep going down to fix my key so I could get into the room. The staff gave me attitude which I did not appreciate. Don't they understand the whole reason fokes pay for the hostel is to have access to the room?

I loved the area and the employees were AWESOME. Super friendly and just cool. I liked the hostel a lot. I would go there always again.

• 14th Jun 2014

They where great hosts. Can't ask for more. JD parked his car in a free parking spot to save it for our car. My girlfriend and I where only staying one night but they offered us all their facilities, cereal, juice etc. Can't ask for much more.

• 14th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

I was satisfied from this hostel overall, but I think that the hostel's staffs weren't good. They had unconcerned me sometimes when I had check-in from the hostel. That is, when I couldn't the check-in for the hostel before 2 A.M, I wanted to keep my luggage at that time. And then, they seemed to be unconcerned me. Anyway location was very great by locating the nearby Santa Monica Beach.

I liked it and would stay there again

The best kept secret to see Santa Monica, California! I'm hoping to fly back for Christmas! Staff very friendly and knowledgeable. Showers, bunks, rooms and interior design spacious and jazzy reflecting the international guests who travel there. There sun and air are so wonderful! I slept like a baby. First time in my life slept so soundly I was snoring. Lol. No car necessary walking everywhere and buses run every 15 minutes! Paradise, paradise and beaches! You will experience heaven! Blessings!

• 6th Jun 2014

I was frustrated by the shower, which was only on-off with no adjustment for temperature, and it went from freezing cold to burning hot on a whim. The beds were uncomfortable and I did not sleep well, also partly from noise. All in all, I would not return to this hostel, but I am not against hostels in general.

• 5th Jun 2014

I was worried about staying in a hostel for the first time, but this was a really good experience. I'm a female traveling alone so safety was a big deal to me. I always felt secure. The clientel was really good and they usually had multiple people at the front desk in case there was a problem.

• 5th Jun 2014

I enjoyed staying there! But i have a complain! The shower was too hot!

• 5th Jun 2014

Overall, this hostel was perfect. It was a bit higher price than other hostels I've stayed at but the facilities are very nice. It is modern and clean, with many different activities. The kitchen is huge. If you're a light sleeper I would suggest earplugs. The city is very loud and all the windows are open so it's hard to get a long nights sleep.

Amazing location right next to the beach and shopping area. The kitchen is huge! Great for cooking for yourself though unfortunately our food got stolen. The staff are alright but a bit miserable. Beds are very comfy with a plug socket and night light. I'd stay there again.

No Smoking or drinking on the premises. A bit too strict i think

• 1st Jun 2014
  • Romania

Just a good typical American hostel, big but if your not scared to speak to people you will meet people

helpful and friendly staff, ideally located for santa monica, good facilities, would both recommend and use again.

Generaly pretty good but toilet and showers very poor

• 20th May 2014

A terrible hostel in a good location. There are lots of hidden fees at this hostel and there is no atmosphere whatsoever. In over 200 hostels I've seen, this is one of the worst. How this place gets a rating above 60% is beyond me. Stay elsewhere.

I'm sorry you were so disappointed with your stay. I can assure you that we do not have hidden fees. We are a membership organization and it states on the website when you book the following: Hostelling International Non-Members Please note that if you are a non-member that a small additional fee (surcharge) must be paid on arrival at the property

Perfect location if you want to be near the beach, otherwise it's a journey into downtown LA and Hollywood. Hostel has everything to offer, lots of lounge space, big kitchen and dining area. Rooms are good with individual lighting, plug sockets and lockers. The bathrooms aren't ideal, showers run extremely hot or cold and not much privacy with the toilets, there's only one shared bathroom per floor.

• 19th May 2014

Not a great place to meet people