HI - Los Angeles - Santa Monica Hostel Reviews

1436 2nd Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401, Los Angeles, USA

1970 Total Reviews

A terrible hostel in a good location. There are lots of hidden fees at this hostel and there is no atmosphere whatsoever. In over 200 hostels I've seen, this is one of the worst. How this place gets a rating above 60% is beyond me. Stay elsewhere.

I'm sorry you were so disappointed with your stay. I can assure you that we do not have hidden fees. We are a membership organization and it states on the website when you book the following: Hostelling International Non-Members Please note that if you are a non-member that a small additional fee (surcharge) must be paid on arrival at the property

Perfect location if you want to be near the beach, otherwise it's a journey into downtown LA and Hollywood. Hostel has everything to offer, lots of lounge space, big kitchen and dining area. Rooms are good with individual lighting, plug sockets and lockers. The bathrooms aren't ideal, showers run extremely hot or cold and not much privacy with the toilets, there's only one shared bathroom per floor.

• 19th May 2014

Not a great place to meet people

The hostel was in a good location, but if you didn`t have good room mates there would not have been a proper atmosphere. It was more of a hotel type hostel atmosphere (like most HI) rather than a proper backpackers.

I chose the cheapest room, sharing with other 7 ladies and it was great. We had any problem, the room was really nice with a privet shower and toilet, and if they were busy, there was a huge bathroom in the same floor. People from the HI were nice all the time. Location: excellent. The kitchen was also huge with everything to cook yourself. Everything was very tidy. My experience was great.

• 18th May 2014

I loved everything about it!

• 18th May 2014

Awesome location, very good value for money !!

• 15th May 2014

Nice kind staff, good position, nice building. Big hostel, lots of people. I did not like they ask u 5 dollars to leave the luggage in the storage. Other thing: there were some crazy people in the hostel, and even if visitors complained about some weirdo, they did not do nothing, just move the visitor from a room to another one.

Breakfast was very poor, in fact it was disgusting which was a let down in comparison to the facilities.

• 9th May 2014

I'm sorry you didn't like our breakfast....we serve cereal, yogurt, toast, fruit, boiled eggs, orange juice, tea and coffee. I'm told that our breakfast is really good compared to most hostels.

great location, great facilities, very clean, has everything you need. Not so much a "party" hostel, but the hostel runs pub crawls and there are lots and lots of bars within a short walk if you are looking for a party. If I was to go to Santa Monica again I would definitely be happy to stay in this hostel again. If I had one issue (which is a tiny one), my access card stopped working a few times. It was always fixed very very quickly, but slightly annoying.

Over all not a bad hostel however a little over priced I felt.

• 6th May 2014

Location, location, location.....compared to a hotel in Santa Monica that is one block from the beach, the Pier and Third Street Promenade we are very reasonable. The average rate right now in Santa Monica is close to $300 - our average rate is $39. Alot of people would say that that is a reasonable price for the area.

This location is superb! Practically across the street from the Santa Monica beach and the staff is great. The only real downer is no reasonably priced overnight parking available anywhere in downtown Santa Monica. Other than that, this is a fantastic place.

Hostel was in a beautiful location, about 5 minutes' walk from Santa Monica pier, which was great! I wish there were better options for parking if a guest is driving in (across the street at $14/night is too much if one is staying there for multiple nights, and the garage that's about a 10 minutes' walk away at $5/night is better but not the best option for solo females walking alone in the evening). Also it'd've been nice if breakfast included some fresh fruit or eggs or something.

Bathrooms were gross and needed a real clean not a quick rinse that they got each day. Showers were either too cold or too hot

• 3rd May 2014

No vibe at all. Boring experience.

• 28th Apr 2014

They need a ventilator in the mens bathroom, 3rd. floor.

Stayed in the 10 female dorm with my friend. The room was spacious and clean. Large lockers were provided. There were power sockets and night lamp for each bed, which was highly convenient. Location was within walking distance to the beach and the main strip. Large parking station was across the road with reasonable day rates. Simple breakfast of toast, cereal and yoghurt were provided. Would stay here again.

Great location. The free tours are a nice touch.

Close to the beach and a really nice hostel with pool table, library, outdoor garden and more. Breakfast good, beds good, kitchen good. Staff nice except for a guy which seemed annoyed of me asking questions about transportation to the airport. I was amused by the fact that its a alcohol- free hostel, which is a nice break from some other hostels with a lot of drinking.

Overall an excellent hostel, with a location that cannot be beat. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. Only negative were the showers which had some temperature issues (too hot!). Otherwise a great stay.