HI - Los Angeles - Santa Monica Hostel Reviews

1436 2nd Street, CA 90401, Los Angeles, USA

Nice, clean hostel. Community restrooms don't allow much privacy, but we're always clean. Large lockers for storage are a plus. The only issue I had was the housekeeper coming in to vacuum while I was asleep at 9am. I understand that quiet time is over at 8 but I thought she could have been a bit more tactful.

Excellent location and friendly staff. This was my first time in a U.S. Hostel so seemed pricey. Same price gets me a beachfront hotel in Costa Rica or Thailand :) However, very reasonable for the location. Beach is 2 blocks. 3rd Street Promenade is 1 block away. Great staff. Great group hike. All ages. Had a good time.

We're so pleased that you chose our hostel for your first time in a US hostel! It sounds like you were able to take advantage of our awesome location and volunteer led activities. We look forward to your next visit!

Quite expensive for these mattress At the second day they implemented a new breakfast policy which is ridiculous and doesn't reflect the price - you feel like a prisoner Building is nice and most of the equipment Room service should have separate laundry machine - had discussions about how many machines are currently in use by other guests

Hidden charges incurred due to a backpackers is not a member of there associations, if you stay in this hotel will charge you additional cost.

• 16th May 2015
  • Philippines

was want to get a orange juice but the machine go to take the energy drink, I don't know what's going on. and shower is not so hot. but cleanliness is really good.

• 14th May 2015
  • Hong Kong

Found a lot of the electrical power points were very intermittent when trying to use a USB charger. Perhaps with so much use, they are worn out and need replacing. Apart from that, an excellent place to stay.

• 11th May 2015

Sorry our power was a little spotty but sounds like you enjoyed your time with us overall. Thanks for your review.

The staff at the front desk were very nice, but not very helpful with info. Breakfast was excellent.

Perfect location, just 2 blocks drom the beach and third street. The hostel is not à party hostel but there are many nice bars around it. I would advice people to join the free tours. They aren't that great but you will meet people! Tip 2; check out 'the bungalow'! Real nice bar close to the hostel. À little pricy but worth it!

• 7th May 2015

I really liked the activities planned during the evenings. Your location is perfect. Thanks!

• 5th May 2015

Thanks for a great review! We are happy you really enjoyed our activities and our great location. We look forward in seeing you again in the future!

This is a huge hostel in an busy downtown location. The prices change depending on demand. My first night was $48 in a 6-bed and it changed to as much as $68 per night in the same room. The 6 bed rooms are nice. They have a sink and a mirror. The 8 beds however were too crowded for my preference. I wished there were surge protectors in the lockers so we could charge our devices for a few hours when we're not in the room. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Thanks for a great review! We are happy you enjoyed your stay in our 6 bed dorm. We would like to thank you for your suggestion in having surge protectors inside the lockers. We are definitely going to take that in consideration. We're glad our staff was friendly and helpful during your stay. We look forward in seeing you in the future.

Excellent hostel. Very modern and clean, massive big dorm rooms with en suite toilet and showerroom. Huge kitchen downstairs and lots of lounge space. Amazing location, 2 mins walk away from the beach and Santa Monica pier, and 2 mins walk from the shopping district. Hostel offers nightly entertainment which is always good value and a great way to meet people. Would def recommend it!

Thanks for a great review! We are so happy we met your expectations for your stay. We're glad you got to enjoy our great facilities our hostel has to offer. Our nightly activities such as our pub crawls, food nights and club nights are always a fun way to meet other fellow travellers so we're happy you got to meet other people. Our location is unbeatable since we are near the shops, restaurants and the beach and we are happy you were part of that experience.

Excellent location in Santa Monica. Great free breakfast ( juice, coffee, fruit, cereal, bread, bagels) and free coffee throughout the day. Lots of areas to go and sit. Dorms are quite spacey with big lockers. Beds have individual lights. Not much atmosphere in the hostel but friendly enough. Definitely not a party place which was fine for me. Enjoyed my stay. Just a bit expensive

Thanks for a great review! We are happy you enjoyed staying in our hostel and the beautiful Santa Monica Location. We apologize if our hostel did not have the atmosphere you wanted, we try our best to make this a fun and happy place for our guests to stay. We look forward in seeing you again in the future!

The excellent location and facilities definitely live up to what I've come to expect from HI locations. I felt the cost ($45/night) was a bit steep for a dormitory room, but if you're planning on spending most of your time in Santa Monica, it's probably worth it. If you're more interested in visiting other parts of LA, you may want to consider staying nearer, as LA's public transit is not great. If you have a car, there is a ton of cheap, 24/7 lots in SM (Civic Center Garage is $5/day nearby).

Thanks for a great review! We are happy we met your expectations for your stay and location. Visiting the nearest attractions in Los Angeles from Santa Monica can be a little tough by public transport but it's doable you just need to plan ahead in leaving bright and early. As for the parking thank's for the Tip, $5 for all day parking is definitely a bargain.

I had a good time there. it was very clean and even if there were 10 beds in the dorms they were confortable arranged. There is a nice patio in the middle and a big kitchen and dinning room. I really recommend this place.

Thanks for a great review about our hostel. We are very happy we met your expectations for your stay. We hope that we will see you again in the future!

Accommodation in LA is expensive. What you are paying for here is an exceptional location. The dorms and bathrooms are adequate, the breakfast is great, the activities are expensive, the common areas are nicely appointed but largely unwelcoming and there is no temperature control in either the rooms or the showers. This hostel is somewhere between a b and b and a youth hostel, and be aware - there is a no alcohol policy!

I had so much fun

• 30th Apr 2015

Great place and the free breakfast was awesome!

This was my first stay in this hostel and it was by far the best buy in town. The staff were terrific, everything was immaculate, the facilities were very comfortable and inviting and the location was perfect. Great job to all the staff and thanks for a very nice stay!

• 27th Apr 2015

They tell you price would be 42$ in fact it appears become 50$. You stay in a room with 8-10 people. Water in a shower is warm, but not enough. Especially when i arrived it wasnt so hot outside and i wantted to warm up my body in a nice hot shawer and i couldn't do that!

• 25th Apr 2015
  • Russia

We're sorry about the misunderstanding regarding our prices, the online advertisements quote them without ca room and board tax which is 14%. We're also sorry that you experienced some issues with our showers and we want you to know that we're working on fixing that problem. We hope to see you again in the future.

It's a nice location with only one corner from the beach.The stuff was nice and helpfull but unfortunately they don't have maps of LA or recommedations for sight seeing.The rooms are clean and include lockers.the breakfast is basic with toast, jam, cereals and coffee.as a whole: a good place to stay

• 25th Apr 2015