HI - Los Angeles - Santa Monica Hostel Reviews

1436 2nd Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401, Los Angeles, USA

1936 Total Reviews

if you are going to Santa Monica, this is the place to stay! The hostel is close to the Beach as well as the city. Planned to stay here for 2 nights, but ended up with staying for 8 nights. Already miss Santa Monica and the hostel! Met so many cool people at HI. If I should say something negative, it has to be the breakfast, wish it was more variety!

• 1st Apr 2014
  • Norway

We are so glad that you loved us so much that you decided to stay longer! We live to hear these types of comments!

Nice hostel, clean with spacious rooms and great location. Lacked atmosphere thought due to it's size... Not many people seemed to be mingling and didn't seem to attract the crowd who wanted to meet others. I wouldn't stay here if I was traveling alone and hoping to meet others.

A good hostel, breakfast included which is nice. Great location really close to the beach and the walking street in Santa Monica. Had a great walking tour in Venice beach, thanks Ekin for that. Lots of things happening, and if you participate to the organized tours it's easy to get to know people. Otherwise I only got to know people in my own dorm.

Awesome staff. Did the best they could to give us suggestions on where to go for a night out. Could we get the people in the courtyard to respect those who are sleeping in the am to keep the noise down? In the courtyard the noise bounces off the walls.

• 21st Mar 2014

Really difficult to meet new people at this hostel! It The guests are not social at all. Seems that there a lot of group tours and people using it as a home, because they can't find anywhere else to live.. Don't choose the 10 beds room. lived with a group of Highschool girls and it was a mess.

Solid hostel in classic North America mega hostel sense.

Great hostel at a great place

バス停や海から近いし、治安も良いところなので、すごく気持ちよく過ごせました。10人部屋でしたが部屋も清潔で、鍵のつけられるロッカーもあり、Wi-Fiもきちんと繋がります。朝ごはんもキッチンがあるので、自分で買ったものと合わせれば、美味しく食べられると思います。またサンタモニカに行く機会があれば利用させて貰いたいです!

My bed was dirty and even the room. But very nice in the common rooms

I'm sorry that your room was dirty...it's difficult when several people are sharing a room to keep everything super clean.

The staff was very accomodating and friendly, even with my late 11pm arrival! Location was great, and facilities were very good.

this poor hostel is worst one ever in my entire life. what i hate the most about here is that price and fraud. they required extra fee when we arrived because we don't have the freaking membership. they should've discounted for the members rather than added extra fees for non members. we stayed 1 night. and it was 42$ per one person even our room was 10people dorm. are you kidding? 42bucks for 10 person dorm? also they provided a free pub crawl. it was fraud. nothing was for free.

I'm sorry that you felt we are too expensive. It's true - we are a membership organization and non members pay a daily non member fee. I think if you research the rates in Santa Monica for accomodations that are one block from the beach, you will find that $42 a night is reasonable even for a dorm.

Really safe and friendly atmosphere. Ideal if you're travelling alone. Perfect location if you want to see Santa Monica and Venice but maybe a bit far from some of the main attractions such a Griffith park. I would recommend staying in more than one area in LA as it's so big and there's so much to see!

Thanks for the wonderful and clean environment that is available for us away from home. I sincerely appreciate the opportunity extended. My main concern was the fact that, the room assigned housing 8 women was much too crowded and untidy. I also realized that, there is no screening of guests who are paired together in a room. That was surprising, indeed. As I told the staff at the front desk, next time I will ask for a room with fewer women or, pay extra for a private room. Thanks for your time.

• 7th Mar 2014

As a youth hostel you expecto to have certain atmosphere where you can meet other travelers. Most of the people where too young (less than 18) or over 50. The staff makes no effort at organizing activities to meet others and they bearly can help you on finding something around the hostel

I'm sorry you didn't notice the activity board in the lobby. We have an Engagement Coordinator that organizes walking tours, pub crawls and many other activities plus we offer several food nights a week so that travelers can meet other people with similiar interests.

I loved my stay at HI. Santa Monica is a fantastic place with constant public transport into LA. The staff were excellent and always friendly. And the lockers in the rooms were big enough to fit my whole bag into.

Thank you so much for your comments...we love the words "excellent" and "friendly" - two things we always strive for!

good place to stay but that little bit too big to have a real atmosphere

1 2 3 4 5 Next » last »