HI - Los Angeles - Santa Monica Reviews

1436 2nd Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401, Los Angeles, USA

1904 Total Reviews

The best kept secret to see Santa Monica, California! I'm hoping to fly back for Christmas! Staff very friendly and knowledgeable. Showers, bunks, rooms and interior design spacious and jazzy reflecting the international guests who travel there. There sun and air are so wonderful! I slept like a baby. First time in my life slept so soundly I was snoring. Lol. No car necessary walking everywhere and buses run every 15 minutes! Paradise, paradise and beaches! You will experience heaven! Blessings!

• 6th Jun 2014

I was frustrated by the shower, which was only on-off with no adjustment for temperature, and it went from freezing cold to burning hot on a whim. The beds were uncomfortable and I did not sleep well, also partly from noise. All in all, I would not return to this hostel, but I am not against hostels in general.

• 5th Jun 2014

I was worried about staying in a hostel for the first time, but this was a really good experience. I'm a female traveling alone so safety was a big deal to me. I always felt secure. The clientel was really good and they usually had multiple people at the front desk in case there was a problem.

• 5th Jun 2014

I enjoyed staying there! But i have a complain! The shower was too hot!

• 5th Jun 2014

Overall, this hostel was perfect. It was a bit higher price than other hostels I've stayed at but the facilities are very nice. It is modern and clean, with many different activities. The kitchen is huge. If you're a light sleeper I would suggest earplugs. The city is very loud and all the windows are open so it's hard to get a long nights sleep.

Amazing location right next to the beach and shopping area. The kitchen is huge! Great for cooking for yourself though unfortunately our food got stolen. The staff are alright but a bit miserable. Beds are very comfy with a plug socket and night light. I'd stay there again.

No Smoking or drinking on the premises. A bit too strict i think

• 1st Jun 2014
  • Romania

Just a good typical American hostel, big but if your not scared to speak to people you will meet people

helpful and friendly staff, ideally located for santa monica, good facilities, would both recommend and use again.

Generaly pretty good but toilet and showers very poor

• 20th May 2014

A terrible hostel in a good location. There are lots of hidden fees at this hostel and there is no atmosphere whatsoever. In over 200 hostels I've seen, this is one of the worst. How this place gets a rating above 60% is beyond me. Stay elsewhere.

I'm sorry you were so disappointed with your stay. I can assure you that we do not have hidden fees. We are a membership organization and it states on the website when you book the following: Hostelling International Non-Members Please note that if you are a non-member that a small additional fee (surcharge) must be paid on arrival at the property

Perfect location if you want to be near the beach, otherwise it's a journey into downtown LA and Hollywood. Hostel has everything to offer, lots of lounge space, big kitchen and dining area. Rooms are good with individual lighting, plug sockets and lockers. The bathrooms aren't ideal, showers run extremely hot or cold and not much privacy with the toilets, there's only one shared bathroom per floor.

• 19th May 2014

Not a great place to meet people

The hostel was in a good location, but if you didn`t have good room mates there would not have been a proper atmosphere. It was more of a hotel type hostel atmosphere (like most HI) rather than a proper backpackers.

I chose the cheapest room, sharing with other 7 ladies and it was great. We had any problem, the room was really nice with a privet shower and toilet, and if they were busy, there was a huge bathroom in the same floor. People from the HI were nice all the time. Location: excellent. The kitchen was also huge with everything to cook yourself. Everything was very tidy. My experience was great.

• 18th May 2014

I loved everything about it!

• 18th May 2014

Awesome location, very good value for money !!

• 15th May 2014

Nice kind staff, good position, nice building. Big hostel, lots of people. I did not like they ask u 5 dollars to leave the luggage in the storage. Other thing: there were some crazy people in the hostel, and even if visitors complained about some weirdo, they did not do nothing, just move the visitor from a room to another one.

Breakfast was very poor, in fact it was disgusting which was a let down in comparison to the facilities.

• 9th May 2014

I'm sorry you didn't like our breakfast....we serve cereal, yogurt, toast, fruit, boiled eggs, orange juice, tea and coffee. I'm told that our breakfast is really good compared to most hostels.

great location, great facilities, very clean, has everything you need. Not so much a "party" hostel, but the hostel runs pub crawls and there are lots and lots of bars within a short walk if you are looking for a party. If I was to go to Santa Monica again I would definitely be happy to stay in this hostel again. If I had one issue (which is a tiny one), my access card stopped working a few times. It was always fixed very very quickly, but slightly annoying.