HI Los Angeles - Santa Monica Reviews

1436 2nd Street, CA 90401, Los Angeles, USA

Great location and hostel was good. I feel as though there could be more activity nights and there should be drinking allowed in the room. Would also prefer to have mixed dorms. All round good hostel but for 3x couples and the price we would stay elsewhere next time.

Thanks for your review. Unfortunately since we are a shared environment alcohol is not allowed inside our hostel. We do offer our night time activities such as our pub crawls and limo nights that involve alcohol. Also we do offer mixed dorms depending on our availability.

I only stayed for one night but I'm really glad that I did as this was one of the best hostals I stayed in through my trip to LA.

Thanks for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Come back soon!

A bit run down hostel in Samta Monica, only a couple of blocks from the beach and the pier. Many dorms and floors, not easy to meet people If you're a solo traveller. Santa Monica is a great area with lots of stores, restaurants and entertainment at night. Stay here!

We appreciate your kind comments about our hostel and location! Come back and stay with us soon!

best hostel ever!

Wow we are so happy to hear you thought we were the best! Come back and stay with us soon!

best hostel ever!!!

• 2nd Oct 2015

Excellent location between the beach and the boulevard for a reasonable price, and I would stay here again just for that fact (especially since I had no desire to head into downtown LA), but I find HI hostels are much too sterile and lack atmosphere, and also usually too big which makes it hard to meet people. Apart from that, no real issues and would still recommend people stay here.

Awesome hostel thanks

• 30th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

The hostel is in the perfect location and staff are very friendly and able to help with any questions. However the lack of air cinditoning leads to some very uncomfortable nights in warm weather. The fans don't do much to cool the room down. It is only value for money if staying on your ownown and becase it is the only hostel in the city. Unless the air conditoning is fixed or prices dropped this place is going to lose most its business to airbnb

Thanks for your review. We do apologize for the issue about the heat in our rooms. We will take your comments into consideration as we strive to improve our hostel.

Great time here, fantastic location, especially if you have a rental car - there is a parking lot across the road that does 24h parking for $14. Inside the hostel, staff are friendly and helpful, the beds are good and clean - if not a bit small! Linen provided is clean and plentiful. Facilities are great throughout, lots of space to relax and enjoy yourself. Really good free breakfast available, take advantage of this. The rooms need air conditioning though, it's unbearably hot in the summer!

Thanks for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed all of the amenities our hostel has to offer. We are glad we were able to provide you a great experience as far as staying at our hostel and our great location. We hope you can come back and stay with us soon!

Love the hostel, and have stayed there in previous travels as it has a fantastic atmosphere, good security and nice atmosphere. The only things that I was disappointed with was: 1. Temperature of room. Uncomfortably hot 24hrs. There was a fan however it was fixated on one person and couldn't be changed. I Estimate it was 38-40 degrees. Much hotter than outside in the evenings!!! 2. Breakfast 3 item limit.

• 20th Sep 2015

Thanks for your review. We do apologize if your were disappointed with some the issues you had with your stay. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning in our rooms and the only source of cool air would be the fans we provide. We also provide additional fans. Your suggestions are valuable to us and we will take the steps to make our breakfast better with out limiting or rationing our items.

It's a really nice place with a beautiful patio and good security! But the room is really hot because there was only one fan in the 8 bed room. Would be nice if we had individual small fans in our personal bed area though! The location is excellent, no doubt about it.

Thanks for your review. We do apologize for our rooms being too hot. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning and the only source of cool air would be the fans we provide. We will take your comments into consideration and we hope you can come back and stay us soon!

Was like staying in an Oven ! No Air Con in the rooms !!!!!

Thanks for your review. We would like to apologize for our rooms being too hot. Unfortunately we have no air conditioning and the only source of cool air would be the fans we provide. We hope you can give us another chance to stay with us soon.

Couldn't have asked for more, thanks again! Special kudos for the ability to print.

• 17th Sep 2015
  • Finland

The location is unbeatable! It's not far to get to places and even Venice seems to be pretty close. It's just a walk along the beach to get there. But I would rather recommend to stay in a hostel in Venice than here if you're planning to connect with people. I was traveling on my own and it was way easier to connect in other hostels (Venice included!). This hostel is more lika a large hotel where everyone stays anonymous.

Pro's: friendly staff, clean kitchen facility, lounge facility, rooms to stays... Con's: water temperature for shower was slightly hot, second floor men's bathroom was humid, hot, steamy, no air ventilation..

Thanks for your review. We are happy to hear you liked our facilities and our friendly staff. As for your comments about our shower temperature and ventilation we will notify our maintenance department so this can get fixed. We hope you can come back and stay with us soon!

I read all the reviews about the heat issue but decided to stay anyway, HI hostels are awesome (I've stayed in 3) but this location doesn't have AC in the rooms, and the wifi is slow, so these are the two things that let it down. Huge hostel, free breakfast, location is fantastic (close to Santa Monica pier, shopping, restaurants, buses) they have multiple common areas, computers to use (small fee), the beds are comfy, so honestly guys, FIX the heat problem & you will have a 5/5!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We will take your comments into consideration as we always strive to improve. We hope you can come back and stay with us soon.

Great location to the beach and the central area of Santa Monica including shops and night life. However we were there in September, which certainly isn't the hottest time in California, and the rooms were like a sauna. It was impossible to be in there for any more time than absolutely necessary and getting to sleep at night was a nightmare. We stayed there for 3 nights and if it were any longer I would have changed hostels. It was far too hot and ruined sleep for the next day.

Great facilities not so great atmosphere. I'd say if you're travelling alone pick a different hostel if you're travelling with a group this is a great place.

Only stayed one night. It was nice place to stay. I would come back, definitely. Close to bars and entertainment. The area is extremely nice. Clean, good breakfast, nice staff... ideal!

Thanks for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our hostel and our wonderful location. We hope you can come back and stay with us soon!

It was very hot in the rooms making it impossible to sleep

Thanks for your review. We do apologize for our rooms being too hot. Unfortunately we do not have any air conditioning and the only source of cool air would be our fans we provide.