HI - Los Angeles - Santa Monica Reviews

1436 2nd Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401, Los Angeles, USA

1910 Total Reviews

this poor hostel is worst one ever in my entire life. what i hate the most about here is that price and fraud. they required extra fee when we arrived because we don't have the freaking membership. they should've discounted for the members rather than added extra fees for non members. we stayed 1 night. and it was 42$ per one person even our room was 10people dorm. are you kidding? 42bucks for 10 person dorm? also they provided a free pub crawl. it was fraud. nothing was for free.

I'm sorry that you felt we are too expensive. It's true - we are a membership organization and non members pay a daily non member fee. I think if you research the rates in Santa Monica for accomodations that are one block from the beach, you will find that $42 a night is reasonable even for a dorm.

Really safe and friendly atmosphere. Ideal if you're travelling alone. Perfect location if you want to see Santa Monica and Venice but maybe a bit far from some of the main attractions such a Griffith park. I would recommend staying in more than one area in LA as it's so big and there's so much to see!

Thanks for the wonderful and clean environment that is available for us away from home. I sincerely appreciate the opportunity extended. My main concern was the fact that, the room assigned housing 8 women was much too crowded and untidy. I also realized that, there is no screening of guests who are paired together in a room. That was surprising, indeed. As I told the staff at the front desk, next time I will ask for a room with fewer women or, pay extra for a private room. Thanks for your time.

• 7th Mar 2014

As a youth hostel you expecto to have certain atmosphere where you can meet other travelers. Most of the people where too young (less than 18) or over 50. The staff makes no effort at organizing activities to meet others and they bearly can help you on finding something around the hostel

I'm sorry you didn't notice the activity board in the lobby. We have an Engagement Coordinator that organizes walking tours, pub crawls and many other activities plus we offer several food nights a week so that travelers can meet other people with similiar interests.

I loved my stay at HI. Santa Monica is a fantastic place with constant public transport into LA. The staff were excellent and always friendly. And the lockers in the rooms were big enough to fit my whole bag into.

Thank you so much for your comments...we love the words "excellent" and "friendly" - two things we always strive for!

good place to stay but that little bit too big to have a real atmosphere

Really good hostel. I stayed in a 10 bed dorm which is kinda big, but it had its own toilet, shower, sink, and there were more of these on the floor in case you didn't want to wake your roommates up. It has a few nice chill out/lounge areas, one with massive TV and recliners which was cool. Location is awesome if you want to be in that part of LA, its minutes walk from Santa Monica pier and shopping area, but don't forget how big and hard to get around LA is. Close to LAX, only $1 by bus.

So happy that you saw our hostel as we do.....very cool!

I absolutely loved this hostel it was by far the best i have stayed in. The location couldnt have been better. It also had lots of free activities which was great for when i ran out of cash. The only bit i would say needs improving is the showers.

OH! We are so pleased that you loved our hostel and appreciate your recommendation for improvement.

Highly recommended

Excellent facilities, especially water filters and chilled reading room, huge kitchen. And great location for the beach and shopping. Staff very happy to help when you need. Comfortable beds with personal lamplight. But as with many US hostels, rather a strange mix of people staying there across the age spectrum and including the homeless and incapacitated for example. So not too much atmosphere.

Not the hostels fault but... I shared a room for 2 days with someone that had a severe bout of the flu - so she told me as I was leaving! Is there a policy about sharing a room when you are unwell? Staff were fantastic. I recommend the guided walks.

We really appreciate the high praise for our staff and your recommendation for our activities. Sorry that you shared a room with someone that wasn't feeling well though.

Pity about the shower was our of order and had to used another floor otherwise great stay

A great location, well set up hostel with lots of different spaces & plenty of room. Staff were very helpful & information provided for activities was excellent with directions & maps. Breakfast was good with tea & coffee provided all day. Big kitchen & eating areas. An elevator was an added plus especially with luggage.

Thank you for such a detailed review. We appreciate the high marks and comments like this make us want to improve!

I had to use restrooms from other floors and there were a lot of locks missing for the locker. Other than that the facilities and services were clean and good.

I'm sorry you were inconvenienced during your stay with us. We had a plumbing problem during that time which needed to be addressed and it caused our guest to use a restroom on another floor. I'm glad everything else was fine and appreciate your comment.

This is the best hostel I ever stayed. I've already stayed there for 3 times. There are just two things I would like to comment that I didn't like much: once there were 5 guys in my room and one was really noisy and I couldn't sleep all night. Another thing is that I was driving a car and had to pay for parking overnight. If I stayed in a hotel with parking lot, I would probally pay the same amount, and stay in a private room.

No fan or A/c in the rooms. Automatic vending m/c's we're not working. Doors should be provided for bathrooms instead of cloth screens.

1 2 3 4 5 Next » last »