HI - Marin Headlands Reviews

Fort Barry, Building 941, Sausalito, USA

This is a wonderful hostel. The staff are always friendly. They were very kind to put out pancake ingredients for us to make our own pancakes in the morning. I like staying at the annex as it is quieter then the main bldg. Thank you for maintaining such a beautiful and peaceful hostel.

It had such a unique setting and I felt secluded like I was at a Bed and Breakfast.

It would have been nice to know they were starting to remodel the kitchen bright and early!

• 30th Jun 2014

No complaints. Would stay again. They even provide hair dryers!

• 23rd May 2014

This hostel was exactly what we hoped it would be: a warm, inviting retreat. We will most definitely be back. Joe helped us check in and out, and he was very friendly and helpful. Our room and restroom were clean and orderly, and we had absolutely no complaints. Keep up the good work and your focus on sustainability and the environment, which was very much appreciated!

• 29th Apr 2014

An amazing location, and reasonable price. A safe for storing valuables would have been great, but they do look after your things behind the reception. Also the staff were mixed, one was excellent, very helpful and very friendly. Another said there was nowhere to buy food around the area (despite there being food sold at the reception!) - I went hungry that night. The other was quite unfriendly, e.g. wouldn't call a taxi for me, or help with the payphone.

Loved everything about it! blessed with good weather on our visit; Holly was personable and efficient both. Stunning area, architecture and views. (turkey and deer, at dusk) I always would like a lower rate, of course.

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Great quiet location in the old officer housing area near Sausalito. Friendly and helpful staff.

I really enjoyed my stay. The daily cleaning was fine but the buildings are a bit dingy. The walls and floors could use a good scrub and the buildings could use a new paint job inside and out. But this is a hostel and it was fine.

• 23rd Feb 2014

This hostel is opened only until 11:30pm. There was no info about this in my confirmation e-mail so I came across locked door after a long flight from Europe. Apart from this my stay was perfect and would use this place again. It is just outside SFO and if you have a car it is not difficult to get to the city.

There were several large tables in the common area which allowed for many people to eat & play games. The area outside also had many picnic tables. The building was very old but that was part of it's charm too. We had an enjoyable overnight experience. The staff was very helpful in providing information & helping us get settled. We are seniors (65+) & the only drawback was staying in an upper bunk bed--they were difficult to get out of for a late night need to use the bathroom.

• 9th Nov 2013
  • Couple, 41+

Great staff, great kitchen, big rooms, not enough lockers space for a bag; just for small items. Location good for the outdoors, but we just stayed on our way to San Fran airport. Really cold at night, although blanket were provided and you could ask for more if necessary. Thanks

This is a very nice location and not an "in" place to go for the young-uns; so you my be spared the language of "hey, dude, omg, cool ..." But it is frightfully cold there. The staff does not seem to know country living and the use of heat to warm and rid the building of moisture. Some of the paint is tacky just from too much moisture.

Had booked in the only available dorms but requested a double if possible which was available and allocated for us on arrival which was very much appreciated. Had to wait until bang on 15:30 to check in. Buildings were quirky and unique, comfortable rooms and clean facilities. Handy with walking trails.

The policy to have a dorm key charge ($20.00) needs to be revised. That doesn't work well with customers who don't carry cash, and pay by credit card especially if there's foreign exchange charges. Even if they pay the fee with cash, they have to wait till the office opens at 7:30 to get their $ back.

• 3rd Aug 2013

We loved our stay at the Marin Headlands hostel! The staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. My only concern was about security in the large dorm-style room. There was a crash-bar entrance to this room, so that anyone could enter at any time. I know that this might be difficult to remedy, b/c the emergency exit was through that room. But still it made me uncomfortable. When we come back, i will probably try to book one of the smaller rooms.

• 27th Jul 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

take a beautiful hostel with a beautiful building and a big common room and add in a Gestapo staff with nothing but screwed up rules on their brain and negative attitudes and you take what could be really nice and ruin it. Everyone who stayed here was on pins and needles (groups or individuals). there is no overnight storage of bags even though you are in a park with nowhere else to store. god forbid if you arrive early as you are not to be on the grounds before 3:30 pm after 11 no cell phon

• 14th Jul 2013

Beautiful setting, fantastic staff - so friendly and helpful. The showering facilities are very old-fashioned though, without much privacy.

I enjoyed the stay

There were few other travelers to meet, aside from a large group of school children. I don't think hostels should be taken over by kids needing supervision. The location is impossible to reach without a car. The hostel didn't update the directions from their page (there is tunnel construction and good luck trying to guess your way there). The hostel itself was beautiful and clean with knowledgeable staff and was close to hikes in the Headlands, and Mt. Tam (if you had a car).