HI - Marin Headlands Reviews

Fort Barry, Building 941, Sausalito, California, USA

Great quiet location in the old officer housing area near Sausalito. Friendly and helpful staff.

I really enjoyed my stay. The daily cleaning was fine but the buildings are a bit dingy. The walls and floors could use a good scrub and the buildings could use a new paint job inside and out. But this is a hostel and it was fine.

• 23rd Feb 2014

This hostel is opened only until 11:30pm. There was no info about this in my confirmation e-mail so I came across locked door after a long flight from Europe. Apart from this my stay was perfect and would use this place again. It is just outside SFO and if you have a car it is not difficult to get to the city.

There were several large tables in the common area which allowed for many people to eat & play games. The area outside also had many picnic tables. The building was very old but that was part of it's charm too. We had an enjoyable overnight experience. The staff was very helpful in providing information & helping us get settled. We are seniors (65+) & the only drawback was staying in an upper bunk bed--they were difficult to get out of for a late night need to use the bathroom.

• 9th Nov 2013
  • Couple, 41+

Great staff, great kitchen, big rooms, not enough lockers space for a bag; just for small items. Location good for the outdoors, but we just stayed on our way to San Fran airport. Really cold at night, although blanket were provided and you could ask for more if necessary. Thanks

This is a very nice location and not an "in" place to go for the young-uns; so you my be spared the language of "hey, dude, omg, cool ..." But it is frightfully cold there. The staff does not seem to know country living and the use of heat to warm and rid the building of moisture. Some of the paint is tacky just from too much moisture.

Had booked in the only available dorms but requested a double if possible which was available and allocated for us on arrival which was very much appreciated. Had to wait until bang on 15:30 to check in. Buildings were quirky and unique, comfortable rooms and clean facilities. Handy with walking trails.

The policy to have a dorm key charge ($20.00) needs to be revised. That doesn't work well with customers who don't carry cash, and pay by credit card especially if there's foreign exchange charges. Even if they pay the fee with cash, they have to wait till the office opens at 7:30 to get their $ back.

• 3rd Aug 2013

We loved our stay at the Marin Headlands hostel! The staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. My only concern was about security in the large dorm-style room. There was a crash-bar entrance to this room, so that anyone could enter at any time. I know that this might be difficult to remedy, b/c the emergency exit was through that room. But still it made me uncomfortable. When we come back, i will probably try to book one of the smaller rooms.

• 27th Jul 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

take a beautiful hostel with a beautiful building and a big common room and add in a Gestapo staff with nothing but screwed up rules on their brain and negative attitudes and you take what could be really nice and ruin it. Everyone who stayed here was on pins and needles (groups or individuals). there is no overnight storage of bags even though you are in a park with nowhere else to store. god forbid if you arrive early as you are not to be on the grounds before 3:30 pm after 11 no cell phon

• 14th Jul 2013

Beautiful setting, fantastic staff - so friendly and helpful. The showering facilities are very old-fashioned though, without much privacy.

I enjoyed the stay

There were few other travelers to meet, aside from a large group of school children. I don't think hostels should be taken over by kids needing supervision. The location is impossible to reach without a car. The hostel didn't update the directions from their page (there is tunnel construction and good luck trying to guess your way there). The hostel itself was beautiful and clean with knowledgeable staff and was close to hikes in the Headlands, and Mt. Tam (if you had a car).

Good location. Good price. My only issue during my stay was that someone in my room snored but I found out the hostel provided free earplugs just in case of this. Very considerate people willing to go the extra miles. Would stay again.

• 28th Mar 2013

I stayed at the Headlands Hostel with my 89 year-old female friend. This was her first visit to any hostel and we both agreed our experience was delightful. Laura greeted us Halloween evening in a very efficient, courteous and welcoming manner and went out of her way to answer any questions. She even stepped up and pointed us in the right direction when we left early the next morning. Please thank her and know she's part of our reason for planning to return.

• 31st Oct 2012

The only problem with these older buildings is that the walls are pretty thin. Very nice building (we stayed in the private room building). The location if fantastic! Some pots in kitchen cupboards were pretty dirty. Dish soap was almost gone, and we could find no more. Otherwise,,,,,great time!

• 19th Aug 2012
  • Couple, 41+

We biked in over the GG Bridge, through the tunnel and fog up to these lovely cream-colored wooden buildings. We stayed in the "annex," which has a handsome living room with sofas and reading lights, dining room with multiple tables, and a big kitchen with everything you'd need. Everything was clean and in good repair, although not new. Our double bed with upper bunk was fine. Atmosphere was low stress, gracious, off-the-grid; people shared food and had patience for extended conversations.

• 17th Jun 2012

It's an amazing place.

• 11th May 2012
  • Switzerland

the girls were lovely and very helpful. it was sooo quiet and beautiful yet close and easy to find to san fran. free towels . kitchen was fantastic and the coffee awesome. wish I had thought to bring some food, but would have gladly paid for it if some was available. bathroom cold but other than that I would highly recommend it. As a non hostel 54 year old I had my doubts, but I would now prefer it to a hotel. it was off season so quiet and very few people thanks it was memorable- perfect!

• 17th Nov 2011

Just one comment: When I asked if the locked wireless connection was available I was answered with a resounding "NO". A gentler answer would have been appreciated. :)

• 24th Sep 2011