HI Massada Reviews

M.P. Dead Sea, Dead Sea, Israel

They call themselves a hostel, but do not have a kitchen to make your own dinner. They try to make u eat their dinner for 70 schekels. They even forbid me to eat my food on a regular table.

We arrived kind of late (just before the end of dinner) and mentioned immediately that we would still like to have dinner. Instead of telling us straight away that we needed to buy the coupons at reception and then go to the dining room, we were directed to the dining room where we were then told we needed to buy coupons first. This seemed really odd when we had just been at reception to check-in and we asked about dinner specifically!

• 30th Aug 2015
  • South Africa

Perfect location if you want to hike Massada, and the pool is great. There is only one place to eat and the food was not fantastic, pretty much like a school dinner. The atmosphere was definitely lacking, but I guess this isn't a place to socialise. The man at reception went from being really grumpy to really friendly, which wasn't great, but I guess everyone has bad days. The room was very, very clean, however I did find a cockroach in my room, but that can happen even in fancy hotels.

Nice pool, great breakfast, good location right at the foot of Masada. However, the curmudgeon at the front desk ruined our stay. Not only was he inexplicably rude from the start, but when we asked for information about the buses he was deliberately unhelpful, which cost us the best part of a day waiting at the bus station and in the lobby.

Great location if you want to do the morning hike. We were travelling by public bus and it stops just outside so that was super handy. As other reviews mention it's worth bearing in mind that it's not a hostel for partying and they do host school trips as there's a educational centre. Food wont blow your mind but is welcome after a long day. The pool was fab! We had time to hike up and see the sunset, have a swim and get breakfast; the perfect way to start the day!!!

The man at the front desk who checked us in was very unfriendly. He didn't smile and was very rude and impolite when I asked questions. The pool was great but should be open later at night. By the time I finished with Masada, there was only a short time before the pool closed at 6.

Place is very clean, and it's the only place to stay at Masada. Very clinical, and without any atmosphere. The dinner is decent but extremely over-priced for what you get... and you have no other options. Breakfast is quite bad, but filling enough. The small kiosk with water and candy is also of course over-priced. A bottle of water is 10 shekels. That would be 5 shekels at a kiosk in the city and 2 at the supermarket. Front desk staff were rude and didn't seem suited to working at a hostel.

Beautiful hostel, well-run, staff great, food excellent in quality, service, variety of choices, remarkably well-maintained given large numbers of guests, ranging from kids to older folks, families. Made me so happy to be there. Accommodating and responsive staff. Bravo!