HI - Monterey Hostel Reviews

778 Hawthorne Street, Monterey, USA

Staff was so nice! I left a pair of nice boots under a bed and over 24 hours after leaving they still had them for me! Beds are super comfortable.

• 19th Jan 2015

The location for this hostel was ideal, both for exploring Monterey and the surrounded area Big Sur, Carmel, etc. The beds weren't in the best condition, pretty soft. The atmosphere wasn't the best, it wasn't the youngest crowd staying here with mostly families during my stay, which I haven't really experienced before. The kitchen has no stove and the appliances are pretty old so limits your cooking. Also, they have a no alcohol policy which I don't really understand.

really comfortable beds and great location!

The mattresses in the girls dorm were very comfortable....a type of memory foam.

• 6th Dec 2014

First time staying in a Hostel. I was a little nervous, but this was a wonderful experience! The staff were very helpful. They were some of the friendliest people I've met. The atmosphere was home-like and the location was amazing. I was able to walk to the Aquarium and a grocery store. The free parking was a great bonus, especially since Monterey has a lot of paid parking. Felt very safe which is key for a small woman traveling by herself.

thought it was a bit strange that drinking wasnt permitted in the hostel. other than that i would totally recommend it

• 8th Nov 2014

Beautiful common room (loved the piano), helpful staff, clean and simple dormitories. A great place to stay in Monterey.

Coed dorm in basement smelled like a boys gym. We had an incident on saturday night with a hosteler banging on a basemet window to the Big Sur dorm at 3:40am. She woke all of us up and we didn't know what to do. She wanted in as her bed was in the dorm. I agreed to let her in as one of the other women in the room recognized her. Later in talking with the staff I learned the night staff has not answered the door because the gal was drunk. Maybe the night staff should have called the cops.

• 24th Oct 2014

Location, location, location. Very good value for money. Very well fitted kitchen. large common room. Very helpful staff. A very comfortable bed. And I like the idea of shower tokens being used to limit water usage.

• 12th Oct 2014

The hostel was older but clean and comfortable. Water shortages going on so they were very conservative with shower usage. Location is right next to the aquarium and cannery row.

Really nice, small hostel. Short walk to the Aquarium and water front. The guy at check-in was really friendly and helfpul, the lady at check-out was a bit unprepared and rude, but all in all nice staff. The kitchen and bathrooms are really clean. You find everything you need. Liked the shower tokens, so you don't waste to much water. Free parking and breakfast. Big, nicely furnished common room. A lot of old guys were hanging around there. We ( two young ladies) felt a bit too much observed.

Great hostel. Location, indoor

Staff was very rude and uninterested in helping with anything, she acted like it was going to kill her anytime we asked a question. Woke up to a bum sleeping in the living area, she was upset that people were making so much noise, it was very amusing, but not very safe.

It was impossible to drink wine in the hostel.

It was quite ok, nothing special. The Hostel did not offer any lockers. They did not offer many facilities (beside an Old TV with VHS player...) The computers were broken.

Very satisfied with the hostel. Tom was friendly and told us everything we needed to know (supermarket location, restaurants, etc.). The hostel is very clean and the dormitory too. Although the latter contains 16 beds this is not annoying at all as everyone is respectful and there is a curtain separation at the middle to separate 8 beds and 8 beds. Plus the living room is excellent (comfortable, welcoming, big). Kitchen is open after 10 pm for tea or coffee or small snack: very very good!

The hostel is really great: clean, quiet and well located. If I visit Monterey again, I'm sure I will stay there. The only thing that could be improved is the breakfast: it was difficult to realize what we could or not eat (it could have better labels). There were cereals, but I didn't find milk for example.

Cosy and laid back hostel. Pancake breakfast was great. Nice touches like face cloths in bathrooms and hairdryer which could be used :-D

the hostel matches perfectly with the city, nice to stay, calm. If you want to go Monterrey (and you know why you are going to Monterrey), so this is a great place to stay. But remember, it is a calm, quiet hostel, in a calm, quiet city.

This is one of my favorite hostels that I've stayed in! The location is wonderful and it draws a lot of really fun people. I was traveling alone so it was great to spend time in the common area and talk to some new people. The hostel is safe, you can get a locker if you want a little more security. The beds a very comfortable and the whole space is clean. I've stayed at the Monterey hostel 3 times now in the past 5 years and it has stayed constantly great on all levels all that time.