HI - Monterey Hostel Reviews

778 Hawthorne Street, Monterey, USA

Staff was very rude and uninterested in helping with anything, she acted like it was going to kill her anytime we asked a question. Woke up to a bum sleeping in the living area, she was upset that people were making so much noise, it was very amusing, but not very safe.

It was quite ok, nothing special. The Hostel did not offer any lockers. They did not offer many facilities (beside an Old TV with VHS player...) The computers were broken.

Very satisfied with the hostel. Tom was friendly and told us everything we needed to know (supermarket location, restaurants, etc.). The hostel is very clean and the dormitory too. Although the latter contains 16 beds this is not annoying at all as everyone is respectful and there is a curtain separation at the middle to separate 8 beds and 8 beds. Plus the living room is excellent (comfortable, welcoming, big). Kitchen is open after 10 pm for tea or coffee or small snack: very very good!

The hostel is really great: clean, quiet and well located. If I visit Monterey again, I'm sure I will stay there. The only thing that could be improved is the breakfast: it was difficult to realize what we could or not eat (it could have better labels). There were cereals, but I didn't find milk for example.

Cosy and laid back hostel. Pancake breakfast was great. Nice touches like face cloths in bathrooms and hairdryer which could be used :-D

the hostel matches perfectly with the city, nice to stay, calm. If you want to go Monterrey (and you know why you are going to Monterrey), so this is a great place to stay. But remember, it is a calm, quiet hostel, in a calm, quiet city.

This is one of my favorite hostels that I've stayed in! The location is wonderful and it draws a lot of really fun people. I was traveling alone so it was great to spend time in the common area and talk to some new people. The hostel is safe, you can get a locker if you want a little more security. The beds a very comfortable and the whole space is clean. I've stayed at the Monterey hostel 3 times now in the past 5 years and it has stayed constantly great on all levels all that time.

great kitchen, great location wish there were cheaper options or getting from and to the airport

Everything was fine. Prices was not that cheap because of the peak season. Slept in a 7 bdr dorm. The fan was turned on all night long which was a bit annoying, because it was just too loud. Host was very friendly and made pancakes for breakfast!

• 16th Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Staff were a little strange (too much eye contact), but helpful. They had silly staff hours as no one arrived until after 10am and that was when check out was (so you had to check yourself basically) and the wifi didn't work for some reason until they arrived. Nice room, no air conditioner so had to sleep with the window open even on the ground floor (made us feel a little uneasy). Showers were on a different level and we had two four minute shower tokens. Kitchen small w/ no stove.

This was my first experience in a hostel, and I was extremely pleased!

• 9th Aug 2014

Would prefer to have a draft tap or ability to have a beer at night

Goo hostel, very clean and quiet. You will appreciate your stay!

• 5th Aug 2014

Great place. Nice and quiet

• 25th Jul 2014

a home away from home.

Great hostel and staff!! My only suggested improvement would be some lockers inside the rooms/dorms. Everthing else was great.

Great staff! They were very kind and helpful. Good vibes. Good location, walking distance to the wharf. Spacious, welcoming common area and kitchen. Only complaint is the left over hair found on my bed and shower towel.

• 23rd May 2014

Monterey AHY HI is an excellent stay over; great staff, knowledgeable and smart; friendly as well; lower your prices!

• 21st May 2014

Temperpedic mattresses are the coolest thing ever to find in a hostel. Definitely not typical, but certainly welcomed! The breakfast setup was confusing, wasn't sure what cups to use or how to do oatmeal or where the supposed pancake mix was.

The guy who works there is really friendly and interesting to talk to. He even tried to help me getting better from my cold. I like their policy of being an eco-friendly hostel. Dorm rooms big and breakfast by donation, which is a really nice idea.