HI - Monterey Hostel Reviews

778 Hawthorne Street, Monterey, USA

Coed dorm in basement smelled like a boys gym. We had an incident on saturday night with a hosteler banging on a basemet window to the Big Sur dorm at 3:40am. She woke all of us up and we didn't know what to do. She wanted in as her bed was in the dorm. I agreed to let her in as one of the other women in the room recognized her. Later in talking with the staff I learned the night staff has not answered the door because the gal was drunk. Maybe the night staff should have called the cops.

• 24th Oct 2014

Location, location, location. Very good value for money. Very well fitted kitchen. large common room. Very helpful staff. A very comfortable bed. And I like the idea of shower tokens being used to limit water usage.

• 12th Oct 2014

The hostel was older but clean and comfortable. Water shortages going on so they were very conservative with shower usage. Location is right next to the aquarium and cannery row.

Really nice, small hostel. Short walk to the Aquarium and water front. The guy at check-in was really friendly and helfpul, the lady at check-out was a bit unprepared and rude, but all in all nice staff. The kitchen and bathrooms are really clean. You find everything you need. Liked the shower tokens, so you don't waste to much water. Free parking and breakfast. Big, nicely furnished common room. A lot of old guys were hanging around there. We ( two young ladies) felt a bit too much observed.

Great hostel. Location, indoor

Staff was very rude and uninterested in helping with anything, she acted like it was going to kill her anytime we asked a question. Woke up to a bum sleeping in the living area, she was upset that people were making so much noise, it was very amusing, but not very safe.

It was impossible to drink wine in the hostel.

It was quite ok, nothing special. The Hostel did not offer any lockers. They did not offer many facilities (beside an Old TV with VHS player...) The computers were broken.

Very satisfied with the hostel. Tom was friendly and told us everything we needed to know (supermarket location, restaurants, etc.). The hostel is very clean and the dormitory too. Although the latter contains 16 beds this is not annoying at all as everyone is respectful and there is a curtain separation at the middle to separate 8 beds and 8 beds. Plus the living room is excellent (comfortable, welcoming, big). Kitchen is open after 10 pm for tea or coffee or small snack: very very good!

The hostel is really great: clean, quiet and well located. If I visit Monterey again, I'm sure I will stay there. The only thing that could be improved is the breakfast: it was difficult to realize what we could or not eat (it could have better labels). There were cereals, but I didn't find milk for example.

Cosy and laid back hostel. Pancake breakfast was great. Nice touches like face cloths in bathrooms and hairdryer which could be used :-D

the hostel matches perfectly with the city, nice to stay, calm. If you want to go Monterrey (and you know why you are going to Monterrey), so this is a great place to stay. But remember, it is a calm, quiet hostel, in a calm, quiet city.

This is one of my favorite hostels that I've stayed in! The location is wonderful and it draws a lot of really fun people. I was traveling alone so it was great to spend time in the common area and talk to some new people. The hostel is safe, you can get a locker if you want a little more security. The beds a very comfortable and the whole space is clean. I've stayed at the Monterey hostel 3 times now in the past 5 years and it has stayed constantly great on all levels all that time.

great kitchen, great location wish there were cheaper options or getting from and to the airport

Everything was fine. Prices was not that cheap because of the peak season. Slept in a 7 bdr dorm. The fan was turned on all night long which was a bit annoying, because it was just too loud. Host was very friendly and made pancakes for breakfast!

• 16th Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Staff were a little strange (too much eye contact), but helpful. They had silly staff hours as no one arrived until after 10am and that was when check out was (so you had to check yourself basically) and the wifi didn't work for some reason until they arrived. Nice room, no air conditioner so had to sleep with the window open even on the ground floor (made us feel a little uneasy). Showers were on a different level and we had two four minute shower tokens. Kitchen small w/ no stove.

This was my first experience in a hostel, and I was extremely pleased!

• 9th Aug 2014

Would prefer to have a draft tap or ability to have a beer at night

Goo hostel, very clean and quiet. You will appreciate your stay!

• 5th Aug 2014