HI - Monterey Hostel Reviews

778 Hawthorne Street, Monterey, USA

Great hostel in beautiful location. You will fall asleep hearing just the sound of seagulls outside and occasional car. Cons One of the female shower stalls doesn't drain well. No on site laundry, you have to walk a few blocks to the nearest coin laundry.

We stayed in the 16 bed mixed dorm, it's a good size for the number of beds in there although it could easily be split in to two 8 bed dorms which would be better. The beds are comfy too. The doors to the dorm didn't close automatically so were often wide open so not great for security. The communal facilities are all in good condition and well organised. The place is very clean too. The girl that checked us in wasn't the most helpful or friendly. It is a bit over priced for what it is too.

This hostel was great! I stayed in the seaotter all girls room and it was well set up and comfortable. The only down sides were that there was no stove top and no alcohol was permitted on the grounds. All and all great stay.

Pretty basic hostel. I had booked an 8 bed female dorm but somehow ended up in a 16 bed mixed dorm. Security wasnt great - no lockers provided. Location was ok, 5 min walk to the boardwalk however a fair distance from the main area of Monterey (10/15 min drive). Wifi was good and nice big lounge area. Breakfast included - free pancakes.

I really enjoyed my stay here. Great staff, clean, nice location etc. I don't really know if the token/shower system works that we'll in terms of conserving water though... would be nice to have lockers in the dorm although the place did seem pretty secure overall.

It's a good place to stay for a couple of days. When I was there, there wasn't much of an atmosphere. People just did their own thing, which suited me fine at the time. The 16-person dorm is fine, although the mattresses creaked very loudly, which with that amount of people meant that I had trouble sleeping - also it's a bit smelly - the other rooms are probably nicer! The breakfast was great though and staff very helpful!

Too many older people, alcohol forbidden, security code at front door wouldn't work- we had to break in with a plastic card- sucess after 20 seconds, room door always open- come on!

Location good, 30 min walk to Monterey downtown or very quick bus but it's only once an hour, close to Cannery Row/Aquarium. Wifi good. Nowhere secure to store luggage. Beds comfy but we weren't given a sheet. Shower ok, toilets clean. Atmosphere very quiet, some odd characters about. Entrance not locked so anyone can walk in! Expensive for what it is but that's Monterey for you. Overall OK, it did the job.

Safe, clean, but staff not too friendly

Super nice staff and clean rooms. Close to the aquarium and about 15-20 minute walk to fishermans wharf, it is a beatuiful walk. Very calm but beautiful town, remember to walk to the left on the bay and see the sunset.

• 23rd Feb 2015
  • Sweden

I liked everything except the shower system. This system gives you a 4min shower per coin provided by the front desk. You should better take always two coins in order to avoid finishing your shower full of soap.

• 23rd Feb 2015

They do have very comfortable beds!

This Hostel is clean, centrally located, and efficiently managed. The included breakfast was terrific! My work takes me all over and I stay in a lot of hostels. This one is quite good.

I enjoy my stay here. I hope to come back next year

Staff was so nice! I left a pair of nice boots under a bed and over 24 hours after leaving they still had them for me! Beds are super comfortable.

• 19th Jan 2015