HI - Monterey Hostel Reviews

778 Hawthorne Street, Monterey, USA

Safe, clean, but staff not too friendly

Super nice staff and clean rooms. Close to the aquarium and about 15-20 minute walk to fishermans wharf, it is a beatuiful walk. Very calm but beautiful town, remember to walk to the left on the bay and see the sunset.

• 23rd Feb 2015
  • Sweden

I liked everything except the shower system. This system gives you a 4min shower per coin provided by the front desk. You should better take always two coins in order to avoid finishing your shower full of soap.

• 23rd Feb 2015

They do have very comfortable beds!

This Hostel is clean, centrally located, and efficiently managed. The included breakfast was terrific! My work takes me all over and I stay in a lot of hostels. This one is quite good.

I enjoy my stay here. I hope to come back next year

Staff was so nice! I left a pair of nice boots under a bed and over 24 hours after leaving they still had them for me! Beds are super comfortable.

• 19th Jan 2015

The location for this hostel was ideal, both for exploring Monterey and the surrounded area Big Sur, Carmel, etc. The beds weren't in the best condition, pretty soft. The atmosphere wasn't the best, it wasn't the youngest crowd staying here with mostly families during my stay, which I haven't really experienced before. The kitchen has no stove and the appliances are pretty old so limits your cooking. Also, they have a no alcohol policy which I don't really understand.

really comfortable beds and great location!

The mattresses in the girls dorm were very comfortable....a type of memory foam.

• 6th Dec 2014

First time staying in a Hostel. I was a little nervous, but this was a wonderful experience! The staff were very helpful. They were some of the friendliest people I've met. The atmosphere was home-like and the location was amazing. I was able to walk to the Aquarium and a grocery store. The free parking was a great bonus, especially since Monterey has a lot of paid parking. Felt very safe which is key for a small woman traveling by herself.

thought it was a bit strange that drinking wasnt permitted in the hostel. other than that i would totally recommend it

• 8th Nov 2014

Beautiful common room (loved the piano), helpful staff, clean and simple dormitories. A great place to stay in Monterey.

Coed dorm in basement smelled like a boys gym. We had an incident on saturday night with a hosteler banging on a basemet window to the Big Sur dorm at 3:40am. She woke all of us up and we didn't know what to do. She wanted in as her bed was in the dorm. I agreed to let her in as one of the other women in the room recognized her. Later in talking with the staff I learned the night staff has not answered the door because the gal was drunk. Maybe the night staff should have called the cops.

• 24th Oct 2014

Location, location, location. Very good value for money. Very well fitted kitchen. large common room. Very helpful staff. A very comfortable bed. And I like the idea of shower tokens being used to limit water usage.

• 12th Oct 2014

The hostel was older but clean and comfortable. Water shortages going on so they were very conservative with shower usage. Location is right next to the aquarium and cannery row.