HI NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

AC broke the second night. Air in the room was pretty stale the entire time (even before the AC broke). Room 404 - just in case no one else reported it.

The 24-hrs storage is really a good service after checkout. I don't need to carry my 30 lbs backpack fooling around. It costs $5 only.

• 22nd Jul 2015

The hostel is great, with excellent structure and schedule of activities for each day, such as walking tour, pub crawl, etc. Only problem I had is that my room was like a corridor (rectangular) and the air conditioning was on one end and my bed in the other. For people who were close to the air, they passed very cold and turned off the air. I was on that side of the window that beat the sun all day spent a lot of heat.

Great Friday night comedy show. Although not all comedians were funny, the night as a whole was great

good location, feel very safe at night. just one thing, so there's no hot water early morning? (5am) no other complains, very good place to live in NYC.

• 20th Jul 2015
  • China

The staff was excellent and very helpful. The place is kept clean and I like that we all have lockers. Having the towel provided is also nice. However, I found the mattress to be a bit thin so it wasn't as comfortable as it could be. But overall good experience.

• 20th Jul 2015

This was the cleanest and nicest hostel I stayed in on my trip! Excellent facilities and although breakfast was not included, there was enough kitchen facilities to prepare your own. Cafe on site has great food at reasonable prices.

The rooms smell like a wet locker room. Damp, moldy. There are so many people checked in that it's difficult to keep the bathroom clean.

The hostel met my expectations. I liked that the room was clean and also the bathrooms which I think stops many people from going to a hostel. Also the location is really good as you can reach any main point in Manhattan in less than 30 minutes. And the thing that most make me like this hostel is the opportunity to make Jerry's grand tour which for me is a must for everyone who visit the hostel.

• Bulgaria

I had the greatest time in NY thanks to HI NYC! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The evening night outs were great fun and enabled me to meet some great new friends. The food at the cafe on the main level was delicious and I thoroughly enjoyed the local artist mike night that was held. I'm looking forward to staying in other HI's thanks to my great experience in NY and the response feedback on Twitter as well. Thanks for being awesome and I'm looking forward to staying there again soon!

• 17th Jul 2015

I signed up for the clubing event on the18th. The lady at the front desk told me sandals and slacks should be fine. That evening I couldn't attend because I wasn't dressed "upscale" enough. When I first got there there was live music in the New York room and that was a lot of fun. Probably my best night there. The bathrooms were hard to find, don't think there were any downstairs. Thought I'd meet cool new people but the vibe was sort of cliquish. I felt largely ignored and invisible. : (

• 17th Jul 2015

I didn't like the occasional nickel and diming such as the HI daily fee for not being a member. ($3 per day) which was not told to us until after we'd made a reservation already. The events set up by the hostel are generally pretty nice, but don't go to the one organized by Eric at Slake Nightclub. Apart from that, great hostel, good atmosphere and pretty easy to meet people if you're social. I would stay here again.

Nice place

• 16th Jul 2015
  • Uruguay

A very good hostel. Very clean and attractively presented, really nice bathrooms and the staff were always pleasant and friendly. Overall a very good experience. I would highly recommend this hostel.

• 15th Jul 2015

I had a stain on my pillow, so I would have someone check for things like this before making the bed. I also did not know how to get extra towels. I thought the staff would put new ones on my bed each day. There are it enough showers for women at peak times.

• 13th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

I had a great stay at the your hostel. I had 10 girls in my room, everyone was courteous. The facility is really nice. The staff was helpful. I felt comfortable coming back late at night in the location. I was sad to go. It was a great experience for me. I highly recommend it!

• 12th Jul 2015

My daughter and I had a brief, one-night stay at this hostel. The accommodations were very good!....quiet, clean, secure, comfortable beds (though we could have used another chair in our room), friendly people and generous portions and wide selections of foods for purchase!! It's always a bit of an unknown when anticipating a stay at a hostel, as to what the experience will be like. Thank you for helping us feel welcomed, and for the "exit interview" upon our departure! Mary

• 12th Jul 2015

Where to begin? My room was located on a floor that looked like a construction zone. And although my bed was very comfortable, the room smelled like a boy's high school gym locker room. The second night I was there the ladies bathroom/shower was closed for unknown reasons and no explanation was forthcoming. I found this hostel to be WAY overpriced for what was given. I've stayed in hostels that have cost much less and have been cleaner and sweeter smelling.

The staff was always helpful, the sheets were clean and so was the bathroom. I would definitely come back. Guess I can also speak for my whole party.

• 9th Jul 2015

Hostelling International was an awesome place to stay for my first ever time in a hostel. The staff were beyond helpful, the room was clean and the lounge areas were modern with a nice atmosphere and the subway is a 1 minute walk away. My only downside was for my last 2 days I was in a room by myself, but the hostel itself it potentially faultless. Tones of organised activities (mostly relevant if you're over 21) so I'd definitely recommend HI NYC.

• 9th Jul 2015