HI NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

I thought I wish I had stayed at a hostel for the past three trips when I wasted literally thousands of dollars on an expensive all-inclusive hotel with extremely pretentious and unbearable drunken tourists, even if the staff were wonderful. I found the other guest extremely rude and obnoxious and was so glad to spend time in a well-run, organized, helpful, polite atmosphere, where the staff were always available and patient. Thank you very much.

• 27th Jun 2015

No complaints! Very pleased with my stay all around

Everything was great staying here. The only problem was the corners of the walls where the beds are placed had a lot of dust which made my allergies kick in.

• 27th Jun 2015

This hostel had a major facelift comparing it to how it used to be 8 years ago! It's excellent except that its a bit expensive & of course the elevator extremely old & slow.. they need to get a new one, better yet have 2 installed - it takes forever to wait for it...

Everything you want in a Hostel, great place

Nice hostel to stay in but the corridors to the rooms are not pleasant at all. Staff were overall quite nice and if you want to get a lift to Newark Airport, do NOT book with the service recommended by the hospital called SuperShuttle. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SERVICE. They left me at the hostel with no ride to the airport.

• 15th Jun 2015

Great staff at the HI NYC. These guys are a ton of fun. Loved the comedy club/night club lead-tour.

• 12th Jun 2015

Being such a large hostel it can be a bit harder to meet other solo travellers, there are events organized by the hostel each day or night, though. There's a great outdoor terrace for the smokers on the 2nd floor, it's not well marked. This time staying here I found my room ridiculously narrow - this made it hard to negotiate backpacks and suitcases and there really was room for only two people to get their gear sorted for the day. Still a fantastic hostel!

I was put off from booking this hostel initially thinking it may be a party hostel with it being advertised as the biggest and best in new york with lots of social events, but my suspicions were quickly put aside :) a lovely stay with room for everyone to do their thing. To improve: work on the kitchen - protocol is unclear on washing or using the dishwasher and how to store food, perhaps provide boxes like DC or Boston. Provide free breakfast. Improve wifi at either end of the day.

• 10th Jun 2015

They should upgrade the elevator!!

Everything was great except the location did not suit my interests and the facilities within the room could be improved. The room was very stuffy and the air con was not very easy to use. Also, there were not enough power points in the room. Reading lights and power points at each bed would improve the experience a lot.

• 7th Jun 2015

Everything was perfect !!!!! Staff was super nice, beds clean and comfortable. Vibe was AMAZING!!

Everything was great, except there was only ICE COLD water in the shower. This is at 6 am, before they could possibly have run out of hot water. It was unpleasant. Otherwise great hostel!

Morningside Heights, featuring Columbia University, is only six New York blocks north of this extraordinary hosteling facility. The Bronx itself is not that far either, right up Amsterdam Avenue then down a hill to the 207th Street bridge to University Heights and Fordham Road on the Bronx side. And you thought you knew New York! The elevated rail from the hardscrabble chase scene in The French Connection is partway east up Fordham Road.

Hostel is MASSIVE. Not a very personal experience, runs more like a full size hotel. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just different than most operations. Only real negative was the bathroom/shower facilities. They were not as clean as I expected them to be as they were not in line with the extravagant standards invested in the common areas.

Everything was good, wish the checkout time could be moved to 12 noon, I am here on vacation and don't want to be rushed through.

• 5th Jun 2015

some staffs I have met there are so annoying and rude. at the time I got there right away, they treated me bad and I felt they looked down on me. the air conditioner can't be controllable by guests and it was so noisy.

loved my stay ...

• 4th Jun 2015

24h staff was great, felt secure in the neighborhood, only about 20-25 minute subway to midtown, the subway station is exactly one block from the hostel which was awesome, great value for money, one of the cleaner hostels I have stayed in, I went on 2 tours through the hostel and they were both good (harlem/comedy), free locker in room was very big (able to fit large suitcase, bring your own lock) and extra lockers available for rent for 5$. Definitely a great hostel, I would stay here again!

Best hostel in NYC