HI NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

Biggest hostel I have ever stayed in which has its pros and cons. The downside is, it is not as intimate as many of the other hostels I have stayed at, and its a bit harder to meet other travelers. That being said, this was a wonderful experience and I really enjoyed it! Has a huge beautiful courtyard, very clean, lots of common areas, and lots of activities organized by the hostel. Also a big positive was the cafe downstairs which offered food and drinks at a very reasonable price for New York!

AC broke the second night. Air in the room was pretty stale the entire time (even before the AC broke). Room 404 - just in case no one else reported it.

I don't usually stay in HI's as they are often off the beaten path, but HI NY was very close to the subway, and a stone's throw from Central Park. Place was massive! Beautiful old building. Great kitchen and outdoor space. Rooms were decent, bathrooms clean. It had a lot going on in terms of tours and activities at the hostel. It was expensive, especially compared to Europe and Asia, but it's NY, and I dare you to find equal quality for a lower price. Overall, very satisfied.

Considering that its new york, this is a great hostel with large common areas and batrooms. The building is quite old so you can see the wear. The location is slightly dodgy, that being said, you cant hope to get everything. The good thing about the location is that its not very loud and you can get a good nights sleep. Close to the metro so its quite east to get around. not to far from all the action. They have a lot of activities going on, would definately recomend this hostel.

The 24-hrs storage is really a good service after checkout. I don't need to carry my 30 lbs backpack fooling around. It costs $5 only.

• 22nd Jul 2015

The hostel is great, with excellent structure and schedule of activities for each day, such as walking tour, pub crawl, etc. Only problem I had is that my room was like a corridor (rectangular) and the air conditioning was on one end and my bed in the other. For people who were close to the air, they passed very cold and turned off the air. I was on that side of the window that beat the sun all day spent a lot of heat.

I had a wonderful time staying at this hostel. Great social atmosphere, the bbq on the sunken patio really brought everyone together. Just a block away from the subway, which you can take to Times Square, the Empire Building, Statue of Liberty, and Ground Zero. If you stay here, nightly pub crawls are a must! However, One night they took us to a club that was closed due to a movie shoot. A great place to stay in New York. I will be back!

• 20th Jul 2015

Great Friday night comedy show. Although not all comedians were funny, the night as a whole was great

good location, feel very safe at night. just one thing, so there's no hot water early morning? (5am) no other complains, very good place to live in NYC.

• China

The staff was excellent and very helpful. The place is kept clean and I like that we all have lockers. Having the towel provided is also nice. However, I found the mattress to be a bit thin so it wasn't as comfortable as it could be. But overall good experience.

• 20th Jul 2015

This was the cleanest and nicest hostel I stayed in on my trip! Excellent facilities and although breakfast was not included, there was enough kitchen facilities to prepare your own. Cafe on site has great food at reasonable prices.

I came back home with several bug bites on my arm that that I needed go to the doctors.

The rooms smell like a wet locker room. Damp, moldy. There are so many people checked in that it's difficult to keep the bathroom clean.

The hostel met my expectations. I liked that the room was clean and also the bathrooms which I think stops many people from going to a hostel. Also the location is really good as you can reach any main point in Manhattan in less than 30 minutes. And the thing that most make me like this hostel is the opportunity to make Jerry's grand tour which for me is a must for everyone who visit the hostel.

• Bulgaria

I had the greatest time in NY thanks to HI NYC! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The evening night outs were great fun and enabled me to meet some great new friends. The food at the cafe on the main level was delicious and I thoroughly enjoyed the local artist mike night that was held. I'm looking forward to staying in other HI's thanks to my great experience in NY and the response feedback on Twitter as well. Thanks for being awesome and I'm looking forward to staying there again soon!

• 17th Jul 2015

I signed up for the clubing event on the18th. The lady at the front desk told me sandals and slacks should be fine. That evening I couldn't attend because I wasn't dressed "upscale" enough. When I first got there there was live music in the New York room and that was a lot of fun. Probably my best night there. The bathrooms were hard to find, don't think there were any downstairs. Thought I'd meet cool new people but the vibe was sort of cliquish. I felt largely ignored and invisible. : (

• 17th Jul 2015

I didn't like the occasional nickel and diming such as the HI daily fee for not being a member. ($3 per day) which was not told to us until after we'd made a reservation already. The events set up by the hostel are generally pretty nice, but don't go to the one organized by Eric at Slake Nightclub. Apart from that, great hostel, good atmosphere and pretty easy to meet people if you're social. I would stay here again.

First time at a hostel. Enjoyed it. Hope to do it a lot more. Wish there were hostel's aimed more for not so young.

• 16th Jul 2015

Nice place

• 16th Jul 2015
  • Uruguay

A very good hostel. Very clean and attractively presented, really nice bathrooms and the staff were always pleasant and friendly. Overall a very good experience. I would highly recommend this hostel.