HI NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

I loved the bar crawl, I met other people staying at the hostel and we had a fun night. We played flip cup!! The free breakfast was good and there was a cafe to purchase other items if you wanted. The upper west side location was right near the subway with east access to the rest of Manhattan. The bathroom was good and I stayed in a 6 bed dorm. Luckily my second night there there were only 2 of us! I loved Andres, he was so sweet.

I found someone sleeping in my bunk when i checked in and let the staff know about it, and asked them to change the linens. Later when I checked again someone else was sleeping in my bunk and i ended up staying with a friend in New Jersey instead.

• 5th Dec 2015

This hostel is a great place, offering a good café for breakfast, good rest spaces and clean bedrooms. The location is fine but you need to use the subway and can take a while to get to downtown. The place is really clean, the staff are good. Its overall good value for money. One thing I read before staying is that people are anti-social all on their phones. I say if you are brave and just try to chat with people you make friends - I did! I recommend a stay here. Not a party hostel though.

• 30th Nov 2015

This is an exceptional city center Hostel. Great for budget travelling, lots of tours and activities, superb location...right up there with HI Chicago and San Francisco.

This is very nice hostel with lots of activities organized; I loved the comedy night out with Max!

The should give breakfast every hostel does.

clean, cool hostel in a decent location, takes around 20 mins on the subway to get to the main tourist area but was nice to be staying a bit further out as it's bit more low-key. they upgraded us and charged us extra on arrival without telling us, but that's my one complaint and we did get free breakfast and lots of free activities organised by the hostel. would recommend

Oriseli/Orilizeth did a great job at cleaning and was super friendly!

Staff were fantastic, extremely friendly. Clean towels everyday and overall, bathrooms/showers etc. were clean enough. Breakfast wasn't included like it has been at other Hi Hostels I've visited and locker charge to leave luggage which isn't great. Hostel activities were good as well, something going on everyday and nice way to meet people. The Central Park tour was about 4.5 hours long, maybe an idea to stop for lunch in between it can be a long morning.

Too few showers working

I enjoyed my brief stay Will try to stay again sometime in the near future

• 18th Nov 2015

The Hostel itself was remarkable. Clean and convenient facilities. Amenities were really great. The location is the only downside. It's still New York and close to subways but you do have to travel, especially late nights you wish the hostel was more central.

One the best AYH in US. Bravo!

As usual, a good stay. They have taken away their tourism concierge desk, but the staff is still very good about tourism advice. The kitchen is still about the best equipped for a hostel, always kept clean- with a great dining room as well as three different social rooms. 24 hour opening- and a very good small cafe-restaurant on site. You just can't beat the facilities- They also run at least one extracurriclar tourist activity a day for reasonable prices. The best place to stay in NY.

I had two very loud snorers in my room so didn't get much sleep which was highly frustrating. I know that's not the hostel's fault but it wasn't clear if ear buds were avaialble.

I like the garden/patio

• 14th Nov 2015

The staff in the cafe were extremely polite and friendly and the desk staff were almost all very helpful and obliging. I did have one member of staff as I was leaving who was joking with his colleagues and just completely ignored me when I approached to ask for help. This was unfortunate as generally the standard of customer service was brilliant. I did find it annoying I had to pay $5 to leave my bag on the last day - especially as I left something inside and had to re-lock it for another $5.

• 13th Nov 2015

Loved the vibe from the minute I walked in. The location is awesome, a couple of blocks from the bus stop to/from La Guardia Airport. Kitchen, showers and common areas are well equipped. The one thing I would suggest is some maintenance for the elevator, buttons don't work appropriately and it definitely does not make smooth stops on the floors. The rest is awesome, would recommend it for sure!

• 13th Nov 2015
  • Mexico

This is the best hostel in NYC and one of the best in the world. Stayed here for a week and it was great. Very close to Central Park and several subway stops. Staff is wonderful and overall a great place to stay and pretty cheap for NYC standards.

I love HINY. Especially the salsa night inside the hostel (NY Room) where I spent time with new interesting people and watching them dance made me feel so good. Thanks the hostel for this. Location of this hostel is good for me to catch the subway or just walking towards the Central Park. And I like the kitchen that is large, clean, easy to access and fun to meet new friends during cooking time. No complaint :)