HI NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

It's a pity that you cannot store your luggage for several hours after your stay for free.

Really nice and clean hostel, even the big size of it. Beautiful backyard and amazing kitchen area.

• 16th May 2015
  • Chile

I was so impressed and pleased with the staff, food on site and common areas at the hostel. I went on Jerry's tour of NYC and loved it.

• 16th May 2015

Great stay

• 14th May 2015

Very expensive, Internet wifi is very bad!! Plus they stole my t-shirt! Never come back there

I only slept at the hostel and spent all day long with local friends. So I actually don't know how the hostel is. I would recomend more electricity supply in the rooms. The lockers are great! The location sounds like in the center of manhattan but it's still like 40 minutes in the subway.

The wifi was dead all the time!! I wasn't able to contact wifi!! So I was not able to book anything for my next trip!! Please fix it, this is very important for travelers!! Thanks!!

• 11th May 2015
  • Taiwan

This hostel is nice and clean, nice athosphere, big rooms, staff friendly and helpful, and great value for your money. I can really recommended it to others. Only the location was a bit disappionting, but on the other hand we leraned to travel by subway all the big city around.

• 10th May 2015
  • Sweden

Hostel does not have a bar and you are not allowed to bring alcohol from the outside, therefore no wine dinner parties at night :( Very expensive for a dorm bed. Also, hostel is extremely big, and an entire class booked, the hostel was full of 12-15 years old with less adults to chat with.

Left after one night and moved to a hotel. Not conducive to meeting people and lots of school aged kids around

It's very loud at night, especially in bigger dorms. And the ceilings are really thin so you hear every step from above.

Great Hostel. NYC is expensive but this hostel is probably the best value for money given its location. Staff were very helpful. The rooms and facilities are very clean and tidy. They also organise a variety of different activities during both day and night.

Very cool atmosphere. Met lots of new friends there. Keep the daily activities. Sandwiches in bar are amazing. Internet could be a lot better. Maybe that's why the hostel is so socially active ;) slow wifi and just old school face to face chatting.

The Hostel have a lot of activities day and night, so if you're traveling alone it's very good. They have a patio, kitchen, etc. But be aware: if you're traveling alone and staying for a long time there you will probably have to change rooms even if you have 1 reservation for 1 kind of room, they do this to keep the groups together, and its very annoying in the middle of your trip have to check out at 11 am and check in many hours later. LOTS OF KIDS/BABIES. and all beds were so noisy that every

We apologize for the inconvenience of having to change rooms. What happened was we needed to put a room out for emergency repair and therefore were short one room. We look forward to seeing you again. Thanks.

Had a lovely stay at HI New York! Hostel is clean, full of people and there is always something to do like tours or social events. I only had one issue with the place and that was my dorm. I choose a 12 bed dorm and it was so stuffy and humid! despite turning on the aircon and keeping the windows open it smelt really bad, and it became hard to sleep in! I would stay here again but I would avoid the 12 bed dorms and try for something smaller!

Happy to hear you had a lovely stay. The smaller rooms would definitely help by staying with less people. Take care.

Excellent hostel with all the structure I needed and plenty of activities. I didn't have a single problem in my stay, all the staff were nice and polite, the facilities are well maintained, clean and secure. It is a great place to meet people and stay in NYC.

Thank you for the great information you are giving us. The staff love to hear great things about them. I will let them know. See you.

I would definitely recommend this hostel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and there were lots of great activities planned within the hostel and around the city, such as comedy nights and cheap tickets to see the Yankees, as well as welcome parties and Central Park tours. Although a lot of the people in my room had trouble with their access cards, the hostel staff were very friendly and keen to help get it sorted out.

We are glad you had a great stay and joined a lot of our activities here at the hostel. Thank you for coming. See you soon....

Very clean, organized, good restrooms, loved the TV room, the cafeteria and the kitchen. Loved the atmosphere and the people checked in. Would definitely come back.

Thank you. See you soon.

If you need a place to stay for a couple nights and you want to save money, I would recommend this hostel. It's a good environment and the staff was friendly. I wasn't able to stay the entire time but it was still a good experience. The only downside was the air conditioning wasn't working and it was unbearably hot in the room.

• 2nd May 2015

I'm sorry the a/c was down for a few hours due to construction. Thank you for the recommendation. See you soon....

A great place to stay while in Manhattan, especially for those who are on a budget in an already expensive place in the world to stay. It's easy to get to from Newark International Airport and conveniently located one block from the subway. It's also just a few blocks away from Columbia University and Central Park. While I didn't spend a lot of time in the hostel itself, the dorm rooms and bathrooms were very clean and well maintained. Staff were very helpful and friendly. .

Our staff love when they get praised. Will definitely inform them. Thanks and see you soon.