HI NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

The Staff Was Outstanding Day Shift And Night Shift

• 27th May 2015

A great bargain -- thanks for breakfast!

• 26th May 2015

I will absolutely stay here again! The front desk is open 24/7, and most of the staff is multilingual. I felt very safe in the hostel and neighborhood, which is important for a woman traveling alone. The bunk bed was surprisingly comfortable, although I wish the blanket provided was of better quality. They provided as many towels as I wanted. My only complaint: I wish they had a sign explaining how to AC senses an open door or window and shuts off. Had to get the staff to help turn it on.

Slow elwvator, smelly rooms, too hot...ac not strong enough

• 23rd May 2015

I stayed one night (23) alone and then 7 nights as part of a sierra club group. I found the staff very welcoming and helpful. The staff at the café were friendly and very efficient. Check out was very efficient. I enjoyed eating outside. I would definitely stay at the hostel again.

• 23rd May 2015

The best run Hostel International I've ever stayed in. It's also the most expensive. However, it is well worth it for service, cleanliness, security, activities, & location.

Best hotel I've stopped in!!! Will go there everytime I'm travelling to nyc.

I like the location, value, the staff & the atmosphere. One thing I really hate is that the A/C sounds like a tractor at night. I do not know how my roommates slept...

• 22nd May 2015
  • China

I thought the hostel was OK.. It was pretty loud so you need to make sure you bring ear plugs! Rooms were clean enough, décor fairly basic and old. Biggest issue was the location, it's quite high up and since I spent most of my time downtown it was a trek every day. Some brilliant free tours, though. The Brooklyn Lights tour was excellent, so was the central park tour. The intern doing the Greenwich/Soho tour seemed embarrassed and lacking in knowledge so I wouldn't recommend that one.

I enjoyed my stay. Love to stay again in my next visit.

• 20th May 2015
  • Philippines

The onsite cafe was great value and good quality. I wonder if there is any possibility of using any roof space.

• 19th May 2015

HI NYC looks better in the pictures than in real life. Good activities. Huge Hostel- less sense of community. Basic but effective facilities

• 19th May 2015

They should be more picky while they are taking customers.There was a homeless guy in our room and he was smelling like an animal.Because of this we spent the night in the garden with my friend

It's a great deal, small prices for fair accomodations. The location is good (subway one block away), the commom areas are really nice and the staff is friendly and helpful. The only point for improvement in my opinion is the lack of some rigid rules for groups of guests, specially group of children, which can be veryyyyy noisy. Maybe some ticket rule in which the group should pay a ticket in case of complaints of the other guests. A hostel is a place for compromise, but there must limits.

• 18th May 2015

This was my first hostel experience. The hostel is located in the upper west side and block away for the subway. There are plenty of food options in the area and a grocery store. The staff was friendly. It was clean and quiet. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

It's a pity that you cannot store your luggage for several hours after your stay for free.

Really nice and clean hostel, even the big size of it. Beautiful backyard and amazing kitchen area.

• 16th May 2015
  • Chile

I was so impressed and pleased with the staff, food on site and common areas at the hostel. I went on Jerry's tour of NYC and loved it.

• 16th May 2015

Great stay

• 14th May 2015

Very expensive, Internet wifi is very bad!! Plus they stole my t-shirt! Never come back there