HI NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

Awesome kitchen. Great cafe/deli open most of the day for breakfast/lunch/dinner. My mattress was a little worn out, don't know about the rest of the beds. Very clean rooms and bathrooms. Would come back for sure.

• 7th Nov 2015

One of the cleanest Hostels in NYC. So much to offer

I have been pretty surprised by the actual shape of that hostel. I did expect it to be just as other big city hostels, run down and filthy, but it has definitely been one of the most awesome ones I ever stayed. Had a very pleasant stay and very nice people around me. Super clean facilities, Secure location, Great atmosphere, lovely café inside. Close to Central park, Metro distance to downtown. Staff helpful, but not too warm welcoming. Fun tours and activities I can definitely recommend it. ...

Great common areas and great breakfast

Staff were pleasant and happy to help. Dorms were clean and lots of social activities available. They have a great kitchen and small theatre space for movies and hosting their comedy nights. They helped me add on extra nights last minute & booking cabs. Neighbourhood is really nice with a few subway lines within walking distance. Would definitely recommend.

This place is always a pleasure! Fantastic stay again!

• 29th Oct 2015

Beds and bathrooms are clean. Very friendly and helpful staff. The bunk beds don't have curtains to increase privacy. There also isn't a personal light for each bed which makes it difficult to maneuver around the room at night when some of the other roommates might be sleeping.

It was an awesome stay. I underestimated how much I would enjoy it because it was so cheap in NYC, but I would definitely and have recommended my friends to stay here!

• 29th Oct 2015

Very nice atmosphere. The hostel offers free welcome drinks on mondays and thursdays. It's a good oportunity to meet people.

Checked in and got advice for dinner. Good suggestions and friendly site. Elevator needs work and social spaces could be cozier

A bit disappointed that the tv was not working for the most of my stay. I stayed in a 12 bed dorm on the second floor - I appreciate that you are renovating at the moment but the second floor corridor and the dorm rooms could do with being painted.

HI NEW YORK was quite good for me. I liked it. But the only thing went wrong was the payment. During checking in, they demanded more money than expected. they demanded extra other than the membership fee ( 3$ per night) . Like i never paid with my credit card. When i told them they were wrong, they corrected their mistake but then they started to treat me like i'm guilty. The way they treated me was not nice after this problem. Still i liked the hostel. Thanks.

• 26th Oct 2015
  • Turkey

Great atmosphere and friendly staff. The room I was in (406) could have used better ventilation.

• 25th Oct 2015

Maybe I'm used to awesome independent hostels abroad, but my first US hostel stay was a little bit underwhelming. . Staff very nice and efficient. Not a real social atmosphere (lots of school groups and no onsite bar ), and loud rude dorm mates made sleeping s a challenge. Good safe location a block from the 1 Subway line, some good food nearby. Overall not a bad choice if you're a budget traveler visiting NYC, but do be prepared for a very institutional and sterile feeling place.

Wonderful hostel with great amenities! I would definitely stay again.

Not sure why the big price jump on the last night. But great place to stay for a few nights. Beds were comfortable.

• 18th Oct 2015

Had to change rooms which was rather inconvenient considering is booked about 8 months in advance.

A wonderful place for anyone willing to share with 3 others. One of the most professionally ran hostels I have ever been to, with knowledgeable and empathetic staff. I can't recommend this place highly enough!!

• 15th Oct 2015

We had a great time at HI NYC, and would reccomend it,, especially if you are wanting to meet new people, as the hostel has great group activities, many of which are free/cheap. Our beds were pretty good by most hostel standards. It was annoying that there were renovations while we were there, as we had to go up a few levels in order to have a shower, but we understa. The only thing that annoyed me was the paid locker storage downstairs, as you could only open it once, which wadnt clear.

Great security, the location is very good (1 block from Central Park and lines B/C and 1 block from Broadway Avenue - line 1), lots of restaurants and bars - bad side is: no clubs around, but you're only going to find clubs downtown. Staff is very polite and welcoming, and the activities are really nice. Very clean, facilities are very good (specially restrooms) and atmosphere is very good (smartphones wreck it but still v. good). Don't pay cheap for worst. This is my #1 choince in NYC.