HI NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

Great Hostel, with a lot of activities for everybody.

We try to provide activities for everyone to participate in. Thank you.

The wifi is unreliable, i had better wifi in Mexico. Other than that great hostel.

Pros- clean, excellent shower facilities and wifi, good security, easy to find, really close to subway. Cons- no breakfast included. Uninterested staff - people drinking in the corridor outside my room when I arrived after a long flight at 2 am, people shouting in the smoking area right under my window at 4am and staff did nothing until I went downstairs to ask. I understand it's a hostel and not a hotel but other hostels are far better at maintaining a pleasant atmosphere for everyone.

• 26th Mar 2015

We do provide breakfast for the premium dorms and offer breakfast at a discounted rate for regular dorms. We are very sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. We appreciate your feedback and plan to use this as an opportunity to coach our staff and improve the quality of our guest servcie. The next time will be even better. Thank you...

I really liked the staff at the hostel cos they're all super funny and friendly! The location wasn't bad - relatively safe area but just a little far from the midtown/downtown area. The first night I stayed in a room where the heater wasn't on so I froze to death... also I felt like some beds were placed way too close to the door, which caused lots of troubles when people were trying to sleep but other residents kept slamming the door right next to them. Also why isn't breakfast free?!

I will tell the staff how much you like them and to keep being funny. Sorry the room was cold, but we have the heaters that you can adjust. We do provide free breakfast with our premium dorms and offer discount on breakfast for regular dorms. See you soon. Thanks....

Accommodation can be prohibitive when visiting NYC but HI NYC made it possible for my daughter and I to visit one of the most remarkable cities in the world in a manner that we could afford. I will definitely stay in this hostel again. Easy access to everything NYC. Very clean and comfortable. Money aside, staying in a travellers hostel environment like this one is an experience worth having.

• 20th Mar 2015

Happy we were able to accommodate you and your daughter here with us. It was a pleasure having you. Come back again to see more of the city. Thank you....

Overall not bad. Staff was friendly, the room was big and clean with individual large locker. Only thing I can think of is that bunks did not have individual outlet or conveniently located. toilet was clean too. They do tours too but I never got the chance to check. I think the food to buy in the hostel is a bit overprice but not like you have to eat there. Service was okay but could be better.

The hostel is nice, there is not much to do around, you need to take the subway downtown, the lift is the worst, it takes ages. Very clean I should say.

Thanks for the positive feedback. We do offer many guided tours to many attractions. Sorry about our slow elevator that's why we encouarge the usage of the stairs. Come back soon. Thank you...

My room had a sink, shower, and toilet! I've stayed in lots of hostels, but that is a first. This is also the only hostel I've been to that has a bar. Very good price too. Location is good but not great...definitely nothing to complain about.

Sorry, but we don't have a bar. We do have Welcome Parties during which we provide 2 free drinks to guests over 21 yrs old. Thank you....

I miss parties and games during my stay. They don't sell beer! =[

Unfortunately, we can't sell beer, but we have Welcome Parties in which we provide 2 free drinks. We also have Pub Crawls and Pub Nights. Sorry you missed the parties. Need to return soon and join the fun. Thank you...

I had a great stay here! The facilities were good and the staff were really friendly! The atmosphere was great too and there was good opportunity to interact with people from other places! Really enjoyed my stay there!

• 14th Mar 2015
  • India

Great feedback. Happy everything went as planned. See you soon. Thank you....

Them price is not low but NYC...

Thanks for your positive attitude. We are the largests hostel in North America and at the same time try to offer the best possible rates to keep us going. Thank you.

The hostel was very good and we really enjoyed our stay, the film crew taking up the whole dining area upstairs was a little annoying during our stay but they were able to work around them.

Sorry for the inconvenience with the film crew. Glad you still had a great time and enjoyed yourself. See you again. Thank you.

Although this is a big hostel, it was still really easy to meet people. They have a large common area with a pool table and organise great outings.

One of our goals is to have people mingle and meet new friends. Glad you were able to do that. Thank you for staying here with us and giving us the chance.

This was the first hostel I ever stayed at in the US as I usually stay in hotels. The building was great. The rooms were spacious. The bathroom was clean. There was tons of common space with chances to meet people. Super close to the subway. Helpful with questions about what to do and where to go. Great place.

Less than an hour after I arrived I was surrounded by 15 new friends and had the best time. Besides the slow elevator and the occasional half cold shower, this is the best place!!! Every day and night you can join organized tours, pubcrawls, comedy nights, where you'll meet even more new people. The staff is awesome and will make you laugh! The only thing I missed was a cafe or something in the hostel, but there's loads to do! Atmosphere, location, all awesome! Thank you guys so much!!

We are happy to hear that you met many new friends and joined many of our tours and activities. Will definitely inform the staff how awesome and funny they are. Thank you.

Great Hostel, I would recommend to anyone traveling to NYC and you must take Jerry's Grand Tour - one of the best days of my trip!! :)

• 5th Mar 2015

I will let Jerry know how great his tour was. Thank you for coming.

The location is way Upper West Side and isn't close to any of the main attractions, but the hostel is near the 103rd/Broadway station so it's easy to get around. There are plenty of restaurants nearby plus a cafe downstairs. Very secure - you need to use your key to get past lobby. Stayed in a 4-bed dorm: huge lockers, beds were not super comfy but if you're too tired from all your exploring, you won't even care. Clean bathrooms, friendly staff. Beware of slow elevator - take stairs instead.

I'm glad you felt secure with us here at HINYC. The safety of our guests and staff is our main concern. We are working on replacing the older mattresses. Our staff would love to hear how you felt about them. Thanks for coming and see you again in the near future. Thank you from the HI Team.

Very beautiful building with clean rooms and bathrooms, and close to the subway station. The facilities are amazing, a huge kitchen, a TV room, common spaces... They also provide good and cheap food within the hostel which is very convenient. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There are also a lot of tours and activities organized everyday.

• 4th Mar 2015

Our staff will be happy to hear you enjoyed yourself here with us. We waiting for your return already. Take care and safe travels.

Great location, with groceries store and deli nearby. It's a block away from one subway station and like 3 blocks away from another. The cafe inside the hostel is really good. The continental breakfast is great. The staff is friendly. Most importantly: safe and clean.

Thanks for your wonderful feedback. Glad all was great. See you soon.

It's a little bit far from downtown but still convenient. Very clean dorm and bathrooms. Met a lot of friends through night activities.

Thanks for your comment. Our housekeeping staff take great pride in keeping up with the largest hostel in North America. Glad you got to meet many friends. See you soon....