HI - New York City NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

love this hostel! wish it was more afforable but NY is expensive in general- still a great deal! love the location in the upper west side and how accessible it is to the bus, airport and subway.

I liked that there were many showers and patio was really nice. Some staffs were frienly but some were not. They have many activities interesting. It is knida upper part of New York but it was nice and safe place as I felt.

I was very pleased with hostel and its facilities. Thedesk staff were very friendly and helpful as were the cafe staff. I was amazed at thesizeof the building and the number of roomswhere you can relax. I felt at home even though I am over 65 and the majority of residents were under 30. The breakfast included was filling and healthy. Therest of the food on offer was fresh and varied and very reasonable.

• 27th Aug 2014

Just a walk from the Subway and right in the heart of Harlem. Not the best location if you want to do sight seeing, but still a great hostel. The staff are SUPER awesome, very helpful & will go the extra mile to help out ;)

The location isn't very good. The showers were quite dirty, so were the bedrooms. With so many people sleeping in the same room it has to be cleaned more than once a week. Some of the staff was very helpful and friendly while some barely looked at us when we asked them quesions.

• 24th Aug 2014
  • Sweden

Air con kept me and my friend up for the majority of the night and the beds were very uncomfortable. Very high price to pay for a very uninteresting hostel with very little atmosphere. Would check out non chain hostels instead as this had no character and felt like staying isolation ward.

The hostel is expensive, but you're in upper west Manhattan so it's expected. the staff are really helpful, and the facilities are awesome and plentiful. Sometimes you did have to wait for showers, but there are plenty of bathrooms on other floors if you don't want to wait. Only downsides are: Wi-Fi was pretty bad when the hostel was full. Bandwidth might need to be increased to accommodate all the guests, and the lack of free activities with some outings costing $10. But once again, it is NYC.

I really enjoyed my stay in HI. The location is not maybe the best but it's good. The best is the atmosphere, you get to meet very nice people in the bunch of activities that the hostel has. I definitely recomend it, i'll stay there for sure the next time i'm in New York.

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Mexico

Very clean and good atmosphere. I enjoyed a barbacue they had the day I arrived. Very nice people, not as staff

Awesome place to stay, very cool atmosphere and cool little cafe at the bottom with cheap food. But please get some air con in the sauna-like rooms!

• 19th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

this hostel is extremely overpriced. 50$ per night without breakfast is way too much. also my room was not clean although i was upgraded to a superior dorm (but was not upgraded to breakfast included). there was rubbish under my bed and there were evidently old waterbottles in the room, the carpet was dirty. a part of the staff was unkind and rude. way too expensive for what they offer.

The room is kind of narrow...

This is a really fantastic hostel! It is super clean, newly remodeled and in a really great neighborhood. Even though it's a little farther away from some of the sights, there's a subway stop a block away and it's worth it to take the subway a little more. The staff are very helpful and organize many fun things to do through the week, such as walking tours and pub crawls. I really recommend staying here and I will again the next time I visit New York!

Hostel is great, though the showers on level 1 and 3 were always cold. Staff were great most of the time, some average communication, but everyone has those days. Would definitely recommend, especially if travelling solo, you'll meet a lot of people.

• 17th Aug 2014

Everything about this hostel was awesome. The staff was informative it's was clean and safe. They had activities for the guests. Though I only did the Central Park walk I heard others talk about what a good time they had doing various activities. I was one of the few older guests but never felt out of place. I highly recommend this young and old. Comfy beds, clean showers and very well managed!

it was a good place in manhattan right in the center and was one of the cheapest pace to live a really good place there was a weird smell in the dorm but over all 8.5-10

• 10th Aug 2014
  • Pakistan

Awesome place to stay at, metro is really close and it doesn't take too long to get to lower and middle Manhattan by subway. Daily pub crawls and events and taxes included in price. Kitchen and bed rooms are good size. Would def stay here next time

Great hostel! Perfect location (two blocks from Central Park, one block from subway - 103rd-Broadway). The hostel had a huge range of social activities and tours offered each day, as well as a large outdoor area and kitchen to allow you to cook. Bathrooms cleaned each day. Rooms fine with air-conditioners (free earplugs offered at reception - take them!). No breakfast is the only downside.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, the activities the hostel offer are an excellent plus!!! Very clean, and great atmosphere!

Very well organized. one thing however is the elevator was painfully slow once I located the stairs I was fine!

• 4th Aug 2014