HI New York City NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

The hostel itself was good, clean and did its function. The beds were comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful and the in house deli served some great food. The atmosphere isn't great for meeting others, although they do run tours, pub crawls etc which I didn't take advantage of, so this could be a way to resolve that problem.

We appreciate your positive feedback! Our staff encourages you to take part in our activities and events on your next visit. These are certainly the best opportunities to meet other travelers like you. Be sure to let us know when you're visiting the city again.

I can only agree with all that I have read from previous people: Very friendly and helpful staff, great atmosphere, very clean. The best hostel I have ever stayed in, faultless. The activities and trips that the hostel have daily are fantastic as well. Great vibe all around. I had a very enjoyable stay here.

• 20th Jan 2015

Great hostel! Staff's friendly, showers are clean and in very good condition, and the rooms are well heated. The location is excellent -- 30' away from everything (which is very good in NYC), one block away from the 1 train, and the area is relatively inexpensive (very close to Columbia, so there's a couple of cheap cafés and bookstores nearby). All beds have individual plugs.

Our staff love to hear great things about them. I will definitely inform them. Thanks for your great comment. We will see you soon. Thank you again...

You don't have to be young to enjoy staying at the Youth Hotel. Beautiful old building in a great location.

Thanks . We welcome the WORLD. Thank you......

The best hostel I've been to! I highly recommend! The amenities are clean, there are several activities to get people together (especially the pub crawls and bar nights). It's one block away from the subway and about 20 minutes you are in Times Square. Nearby there are a lot of good and cheap restaurants. If I came to NYC again, I would stay HI New York one more time.

We all really appreciate the great time you had here. Look forward to seeing you again at the hostel. Thank you....

I am always satisfied when I stay at the Hostel. Great service overall!

• 18th Jan 2015

Thank you. See you soon!!!

This hostel was very clean, and the staff was super friendly. I felt safe while staying there, and I met several awesome people from around the world :)

• 17th Jan 2015

The staff thrives on making sure everyone has a great time and area safe. Glad we met your expectations. Thank you.

Clean, modern, easy check-in. Convenient to train station. Lots of tours and activities available. Spacious common areas for reading, working on computer, meeting other travelers, etc.

Simply, great hostel. If you expect a "nothing similar to a hotel" hostel it is not the place to go, because it is almost a hotel four stars with the only fact that you share room. But for experience NYC is simply a great place.

Typical HI Hostel . It's quite expensive but I guess like everywhere in New York. Nice, clean rooms, Location is good, next to the Subwystation but to far to walk to go to Downtown. Service and Food at the Cafe is really good. They also run daily events which is great. Only Thing: Check in 4pm is quite late. When I arrived I even had to wait one more hour to go to the room and it wasn't busy at all. A separate Informationdesk is a good idea but the staff doesn't know much about New York City.

Pretty much the gold standard of hostels, it was an incredibly well oiled machine. With the addition of phenomenal food to boot, I highly recommend for any traveler. The only drawback is the impersonal atmosphere. However, many might consider this a plus after a long journey, or if new york starts to wear you out. Minimal effort, maximum reward. Would go again.

• 10th Jan 2015

Thank you. You are the man.

One of the most social hostels I've been to! The beds were good, the selection of food was very impressive and the overall vibe of the place was excellent. Loved meeting people from all across the globe!

• 10th Jan 2015

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed what we have to offer here at HINYC. Thank you and we'll see you in the near future....

Great Hostel, I recommend it.Very clean and friendly staff.Everyday activities and great location in Manhattan with a close connection to the Subway Station 1.I would definetly go there again.

• 9th Jan 2015

I would highly recommend this hostel, especially as I was travelling solo, first time in New York, so understandably was a bit worried about safety etc. From the moment I arrived the staff were helpful, with suggestions and tips, and saved my life when I locked my hostel card, passport and money in my dorm! I only marked down facilities because in 4 nights I didn't take advantage of the tours and trips, and atmosphere because I went in a very quiet week, which meant my 12 bed dorm had only 3!

• 8th Jan 2015

We look forward to seeing you during our busy season when everyone is everywhere. You will definitely enjoy the tours, night life and events we provide. The staff would enjoy your positve feedback about them. We will see you then.... Thank.

Good place, I would definitely stay here again.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Mexico

We will definitely be waiting for you. Appreciate the comment and thank you.

One of the best hostels ive ever stayed in, it is alot more than what you pay for in other parts of the world but you get what you pay for, very clean, comfortable, warm, hot showers, filtered water, huge kitchen, theatre room, lots of activities to join, and the cafe has very very reasonable backpacker prices!!

We all here at HINYC are thrilled to hear how great your stay was. Thank you for everything and we'll see you next time.

Does it really have to be a non-alcoholic hostel? The kitchen has zero atmosphere - put some music on or something.

Our hostel services a large range of guests of all ages. We do not provide alcohol on property, but provide night life activities such as comedy shows and pub crawls as forms of entertainment that encourage interaction among our guests. Thanks for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.

Heater broken in my room for first few nights, had to sleep in layers in 10 degree cold weather. Not what you pay for. Then heater kept going on every few minutes, making it hard to sleep with the stuffy heat and noise. It's such a big building that the equipment might be old, but I'd expect more than this, even for the cheap price. Hope this helps them improve.

• 5th Jan 2015

By far the best hostel I've ever stayed in and that's saying a lot. Awesome location in the city, with great facilities to sleep or even hang out in, and with an even better staff. Thanks for the good stay.

• 4th Jan 2015

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and so will the staff. We will be waiting for you again. Thank you.

Beautiful hostel in an great location for a decent price. The bad: beds are very hard, showers take a bit to warm up and were out of soap both nights I used them. The good: 5 min from metro, only 30 min on train to most of manhattan, staff was very helpful, HUGE kitchen, four big hangout areas, lots of outlets, cafe in house, group activities available daily, lovely Swedish men who talk to you into the wee hours of the morning... Oh wait, I can't guarantee that last one! Highly recommend!

Sounds like to had a great time. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We are working on replacing all the mattresses and our boiler company was working on the boiler at the time you was here. Sorry for the inconvenience and we look forward to seeing you soon.