HI - New York City NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

Love the hostel and the little bakery shop downstairs. Great location with an easy walk to the nearest metro station and restaurants on Broadway. The bathrooms are good and the rooms are very secure. The only downsides really were that breakfast wasn't included like in Boston and that the lifts are very slow.

Loved this place. Great facilities and rooms. Good vibe despite the size

The staff seemed confused about a lot like where we get our towels but that may be bc the place was HUGE. I was only staying 3 nights but they said I would have to switch rooms midstay. After some arguing they solved the problem. Great location right on the 1 line. Plenty bathroom space and AC. I really trust the HI brand.

• 22nd Jun 2014

Very clean hostel, which is close to the subway on the upper west side. I had a problem with air con in the middle of the night and the staff moved me room which was much appreciated.

I think that Zach and his manager on duty Patrick are horrible representatives and do your establishment a disservice.

• 22nd Jun 2014

Great hostel, really good, fun place to stay. Meet some great people and loved all the organised activities.

Excellent hostel in New York City. A little way away from the things that you're probably there to see but you can walk of you're up for it or take the subway on the next block. A few local bars that decent also, particularly the Five Lamps Tavern. Receptionist very thorough and welcoming upon arrival.

• 21st Jun 2014

Aside from the security, cleanliness, and all other necessities, I truly appreciated the guided tours. I LOVED the Central Park tour by Michael -- he was awesome. Gave us the best photo shots and lots of info with some laughs. He was a good one. Good time with Max , too & really enjoyed the shows. The Pacha tour was great. Having things to do made all the difference for me. Gave me an opportunity to learn the city and make new friends. I wasn't stuck doing selfies. :)

• 19th Jun 2014

Nice hostel, good dorms (not too loud, etc.). If you want a really good cup of coffee there's a place called Birch a few blocks away.

good hostel, very social if travelling alone. close to transport and all the popular locations in new york. would definitely recommend to others.

This was a great hostel and the staff did a very good job. It was clean and safe. I really enjoyed my stay there.

• 17th Jun 2014

Cleaning crew very helpful and friendly. My first excellent experience staying there.

• 15th Jun 2014

Big lockers in the rooms, two power sockets for every bed, free wifi in the whole hostel, good showers with liquid soap available. It is a little bit away from the main points, but really well connected to subways, so no harm done. Also, the neighbourhood has a ton of restaurant and bars options and a very large 24h market nearby. No breakfast, but big kitchen available, nice common areas as well. It was not a great hostel, but I could not complain much besides the price, it's the price of NY

Nice hostel with plenty of organized activities.

Only stayed one night, this hostel is a non drinking hostel if you want to stay there. There is a a pub crawl so that is a way round it. The kitchen and eating area was big enough. The showers and toilets are really spread out on each floor, and it's really a long walk from the room. Check in is not till 4pm which is late..I arrived at 3.45 and my room was still not ready. Typical hi hostel but if more fun is wanted maybe look elsewhere. Rooms and lockers are good. Ok if staying for a 1 / 2 days

Great hostel, excellent facilities, bathrooms very clean, great cafe/staff/laundry, always something going on, can highly recommend Jerrys Full Day Tour, the mans a legend, 3 minute walk to subway, would definitely stay there again.

• 11th Jun 2014

The best hostel I have stayed at so far. Great facilities. We watched World Cup in their Theater with people around the world. Dorm is super clean and quiet. Bus runs right in front of the hostel and only one block away from the metro. I would like to say Thank you to them because I had hurt my toe in Boston before I came to NY and could not walk properly for a few days. The reception lent me a pair of crutches for free so I could walk around in NY. They saved my trip in NY. :)

Was a pretty ok hostel. On the plus side - there was air conditioning in the dorms and each bed had a light and power point. On the down side - the rooms smelled a bit funky and there was only one female only bathroom on the floor (the floor was quite large and I was located in the dorm furthest away from bathroom plus the floor was mainly made up of 12 bed female dorms so the bathroom got pretty busy). Note - don't buy anything from the cafe downstairs - the food seemed to sit there for days.

Although the hostel is not located in Middletown, you can get the subway line 1 straight to Downtown!

The hostel, the facilities and the rooms where good. But for me as a backpacker it was an akweird atmosphere as the hostel was crowded with kids and parents.. No visible drinking allowed, and if you for gods sake wanna share a bed, prepare to be kicked out... I would not recommend anyone wanting to meet others between 20-35 here, since ppl stay in their rooms to drink or leaves the hostel.. Not a good youth hostel for single travellers.. Nice neighbourhood, but a bit far from center sometimes...

• 5th Jun 2014