HI New York City NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

Staff was very friendly and helpful, location was very close to subway, activities everyday for guests, rooms were ok and the bathrooms weren't the cleanest due to too many people sharing them but the overall stay was good.

• 16th Oct 2014

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed yourself at our hostel. Thank you.

This was my first time staying at a Hostel. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the experience, from the atmosphere, to the cleanliness, to the location. The only negative feedback I have, and my roommates shared the same opinion, was that the bedroom was way too hot to sleep comfortably. The rest of the hostel had good temperature control, so I'm not quite sure what the problem with the bedroom was. Nonetheless, next time I'm in New York, I'll certainly be booking with HI - New York City

• 15th Oct 2014

The A/C works only with the windows closed. It has a detector to shut of if the windows or door is open. Next time you visit, if you have any troubles, please feel free to see our staff members which are always willing to help.

Hi quality hostel. Massive, clean, New York City. Happy days. :)

Come back now. We already missing ya.

Some staff don't seem to care but others are really good. It's in an ok location but you just get the subway everywhere anyway. They started a breakfast deal while I was there but it wasn't well advertised so I didn't know about it, the cafe is good though. They have plenty of activities during the week if you want to get involved. There were a lot of school kids staying there which I hated but you can't help who the clientele are. At the end of the day I would stay here again.

Thank you for the great feedback. We will coach the staff on this subject. I'm sorry you didn't get enough time to participate in our new breakfast. Now, we have new signs at the desk promoting it since it is such a great deal. See you next time in H.I.NYC.

Kind of overpriced for a hostel but the location was very close to the subway. Staff could have been more plentiful. They seemed short staffed and stressed. I went on the clubbing outing and the Harlem Gospel Tour. Both of these were disappointing.

• 10th Oct 2014

We want to thank you for your information. This will serve as a learning tool to coach the staff. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will make it better the next time you visit.

located one block from the number 1 subway line.

It is very convenient. Thank you

Upper central NYC is a great hostel- I really enjoyed my stay and ended up extending it! The staff are super friendly and willing to help with anything you ask! I would definitely stay here again if/when I go back to New York.

I appreciate your feedback. Will share with the staff. Come back now.

Solid location, great hostel facilities, lots of great open space and common areas. Would definitely stay again when in the area next!

We will see you coming to the hostel again soon. I know you haven't seen it all in the city yet.

This hostel has great facilities, very clean and comfortable with everything that you need but the atmosphere was terrible. It is too big it has no homely feel to it and isn't good for meeting other people it feels like being in an airport or a public food court or something. as a female solo traveler I felt safe here (apart from walking past the projects at night) but it was a lonely place. Would be perfect if you are travelling in a group

Thank you for your comment. We are currently working on renovations on the 1st floor to make it more cozy and comfortable. See you soon.

Would be great to have a designated quiet area. The food in the fridges is chaos . This could be solved by small contsiners you can put your food in, as they do at the SF Hostel at Fisherman's Wharf. The food at your cafe is fantastic! Especially the salads. Dorms have inconsiderate people coming in at all hours and not being quiet. It would be good to have rules of conduct and stress them when guests arrive. But it was GREAT and good value :)

• 1st Oct 2014

Thank you for your great idea. We have already placed some containers for guests to place their food individually. See you again soon.

A great place to stay for exploring Manhattan; 10 min walk from 103rd St station and by Central Park. Fantastic cafe downstairs with super-friendly servers. The hostel organises tours & pub crawls, and if you want to meet people you have to go on these as the hostel is enormous and fellow guests keep to themselves even in communal areas. (Shame they aren't allowed a bar!) Very much a functional, basic place to sleep rather than cosy and fun but as cheap as it comes in New York and very secure.

My week-long stay at HI- NYC was brilliant. The entertainment and activities prepared and scheduled for guests was brilliant - there were activities to meet different needs whether you wanted to go on a city pub crawl or do something a little more cultural like a Harlem Gospel Tour or Comedy Tour of the city, both of which I did (Max's comedy tour is the best - highly recommend this to all!). The hostel is safe, spacious and most of all a vibrant atmosphere of travelers exploring the big city.

A little dead, but it was a monday night.

• 29th Sep 2014

Staff were not that helpful! I called and asked a few questions before hand and they were rude! The volunteers that put on the events were fab! It sucks about the paid staff! A smile and politeness goes a long way! I love how big and amazing the hostel was! It was a little far out I' your not up for taking the subway! I would reccomend the hostel and events/volunteer staff, but not the paid staff!

I will stay there again on my return to NYC. I like the fact that there is a bike rental shop across the street.

I was there for a Friday and Saturday and had a good time. There are a lot of activities to do and the hostel works in conjunction with a couple of local nightclubs, so it makes it easier to meet people. I took the all-day Saturday tour and didn't realize it was ALL DAY (10:00am-midnight). The tour really gives you a great look at the city and is a great idea if you're staying in the city for more than a few days. The rooms were a little muggy and the bathroom didn't have hot water.

It's the best hostel I've ever stayed. It's good located, the rooms are nice and there are a lot of things they provide to do. Would always stay there!

Well placed if a little far out of Manhattan itself. I imagine the distance from lower Manhattan saves you quite a bit of money on the price of the room so it seems very worth while. Staff were excellent in every way. Friendly and incredibly helpful. Room was clean, comfy and secure. Can't expect more from a hostel. Atmosphere was quiet for such a huge place. However everyone was having fun and there are lots of activities each day.

• 24th Sep 2014

This Hostel is Very big! Lots and lots of people almost too many! Feel a bit more like a hotel sometimes than a hostel! Still a kool place! Lots of hosted activities (pub crawls, walking tours, etc) so is very easy to meet people! Met some amazing people here! No Bar and not allowed your own alcohol - is a shame cause they have an amazing Patio! For New York is OK priced (bit expensive but what isn't in NYC) It is close to the subway. Very clean, good sized rooms with lockers, Sweet Place!

My overall stay was pretty good here, had an issue on my first night in which someone else was sleeping in my bed and reused to leave. After complaining to staff I was told to either move rooms or wake everyone up to confirm who should be in each bed. I was moved and given some breakfast vouchers for the inconvenience. I would recommend doing the hostel activities if you are travelling alone such as a the bar crawls and tours. Clean rooms and bathrooms too.

• 21st Sep 2014