HI New York City NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

Great Hostel, not far from the subway, you can find everything indoor the hostel, i think the most clean showers i ver had in a hostel so far, great atmosphere, dorms also very clean and organized, i was in the second floor and super friendly people, zero noise . had a very good stay

I'm glad you had a great experience all around. See you next time you in NYC. Thanks

Best hostel in NYC I've been so far. Definitely going to be my first choice if I'm going back to NYC.

Thank you. See you soon.

it looks old but indoor is different. if your breakfast included in price. you have to get a coupon. then you can get your breakfast.

Since we are located inside a landmark building, unfortunately we can't make changes on the outside of the building. Thanks for coming. See you next time.

We had a great stay.

Thank you. Come again.

Great location, just 1 block away from the subway (3 mins walk at most). Huge, spacious place with a the biggest lounge/patio that I've ever seen for a hostel. Beds are comfortable, the blanket were perfect, and the toilets were clean. Will definitely come back here again if I go to NYC in the future!

Appreciate the awesome feedback. We'll make sure we are even better next time. Thanks

Highly recommend will be back soon enough

Very much appreciated for your recommendation and already NYC is not the same without you. Hurry back. Thanks

The hostel has got elevator, although kind of slow, is definitely a plus for those who carry heavy or lots of luggage. No more free buffet breakfast which I had back in summer. The hostel always offers lots of local walking tour. One of the most well known tours is probably the 13-hour walking tour. But be prepared for roommates coming back late and drunk lol

Thank you for the great feedback. Sorry, but we have never offered free buffet. Only groups purchase the buffet prior to their arrival. Now, we have a new promotion that you can get hot breakfast included for a small cost. See you soon.

Internet acess? No.

• 18th Dec 2014

We have internet access in the computer lab on the lobby level. Sorry if you didn't see it. Next time we'll make sure you are aware of it as the staff is training on giving all our amenities. See you soon.

everything is great, and the staff is very helpful and nice. the bathroom is good and clean.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • CocoL
  • China

Thanks for the great feed back. We are missing you already. Hurry up back.

The internet intermittently stopped working for me. Very clean and close to subway station. Lacking a social environment in communal spaces, but activities such as comedy night were available

Staff were very, very knowledgable and helpful - special shout out to patrick for being absolutely lovely!

• 12th Dec 2014

Thank you. We will definitely let Patrick know. Come back soon.

I liked this hostel very much, facilities, activities, staff! But in the HostelWorld site, it was not stated that in some rooms breakfast was included and in some others not; and that if you are not a member of Hostelling International they will charge you more and it doesn't even say how much more. For a low budget trip that is something important to know. Prior to my booking, I sent an email to the hostel but they never answered.

Thanks for your great feedback, Ana. On the Hostel World website, when booking a room, it says the room type and what it includes. Also when you start the booking after you select the room type it i nforms you that their is a small fee for non-members. Sorry if you didn't notice that section. We will try to make it a little more visible. Look forward to seeing you next time in NYC.

This hostel was clean and tidy and close to the subway, which made for easy travel around the city. However the communal areas were not great - they didn't seem to be getting used a lot, and there was not much of a vibe at all. However they did have some good walking tours, which were great for meeting people - would recommend the gospel tour and the east village!

Some of the most helpful staff members I've ever experienced at a hostel.

I will sure inform the staff about their great work and they will be more than happy to hear about your great experience. Thank you and we'll see you soon.

The only unlike thing is that I canceled a few nights 3 months ago and the refund hasn't been made. No suppont no answer in the in contact mail.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • Colombia

Hello, I looked into your claim and saw that you booked 1 night and you stayed with us the night booked which was 12/6 and checking out on 12/7/14. If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to email me and I will be more than happy to look into it. Thank you and look forward to seeing you next time in NYC.

I loved my stay at HI New York. Definitely coming back here when I'm staying in New York. Lots of fun activities organized by the hostel. Loved my Central Park walking tour from Paul and the Staten Island Ferry tour from Jay! Only downside (if I have to name one) is the slow elevators, but then again, you can easily use the stairs, because there aren't that many floors. So I'm really happy I stayed here!

I'm sorry for our slow elevator. We will definitely tell Jay and Paul how awesome they are. We are always looking for more tours to add. Thanks again.

Tonnes of kids. If you are looking for sleep, probably a terrible place. Every night there was INCREDIBLY loud bangs on the walls constantly like there was a basketball court just above me. There were middle aged spanish ladies sleeping in the dorms with me would not stop talking and there was a crazy one who was on high doses of medication, who chats to herself in her sleep and blocks my way spitefully so i can't get to my locker. Expensive, they charge $5 to use storage rooms

I'm sorry for your bad experience and great feedback. This is something we can use to train our staff. We are the only hostel in NYC to have 24 hr. security patrolling our floors. For you next visit, please ask to speak with a manager and we will make sure your next stay with us will be an enjoyable one.

I loved it, it was great! Staff was very helpful and understanding.

• 3rd Dec 2014
  • Mexico

Thank you . HINYC and the staffis already missing you.

Very good hostel. Bit more like a hotel thou. Atmosphere was ok. Loads of groups so hard to meet people but still enjoyed it.

We have some great tours to meet people. Maybe next time you can join us on our famous tours. Thank you.

Clean and safe. spotless bathrooms, but the water temperature in the showers never got warm.

• 28th Nov 2014