HI New York City NYC Hostel Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

Typical HI Hostel . It's quite expensive but I guess like everywhere in New York. Nice, clean rooms, Location is good, next to the Subwystation but to far to walk to go to Downtown. Service and Food at the Cafe is really good. They also run daily events which is great. Only Thing: Check in 4pm is quite late. When I arrived I even had to wait one more hour to go to the room and it wasn't busy at all. A separate Informationdesk is a good idea but the staff doesn't know much about New York City.

Pretty much the gold standard of hostels, it was an incredibly well oiled machine. With the addition of phenomenal food to boot, I highly recommend for any traveler. The only drawback is the impersonal atmosphere. However, many might consider this a plus after a long journey, or if new york starts to wear you out. Minimal effort, maximum reward. Would go again.

• 10th Jan 2015

Thank you. You are the man.

One of the most social hostels I've been to! The beds were good, the selection of food was very impressive and the overall vibe of the place was excellent. Loved meeting people from all across the globe!

• 10th Jan 2015

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed what we have to offer here at HINYC. Thank you and we'll see you in the near future....

Great Hostel, I recommend it.Very clean and friendly staff.Everyday activities and great location in Manhattan with a close connection to the Subway Station 1.I would definetly go there again.

• 9th Jan 2015

I would highly recommend this hostel, especially as I was travelling solo, first time in New York, so understandably was a bit worried about safety etc. From the moment I arrived the staff were helpful, with suggestions and tips, and saved my life when I locked my hostel card, passport and money in my dorm! I only marked down facilities because in 4 nights I didn't take advantage of the tours and trips, and atmosphere because I went in a very quiet week, which meant my 12 bed dorm had only 3!

We look forward to seeing you during our busy season when everyone is everywhere. You will definitely enjoy the tours, night life and events we provide. The staff would enjoy your positve feedback about them. We will see you then.... Thank.

Good place, I would definitely stay here again.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Mexico

We will definitely be waiting for you. Appreciate the comment and thank you.

One of the best hostels ive ever stayed in, it is alot more than what you pay for in other parts of the world but you get what you pay for, very clean, comfortable, warm, hot showers, filtered water, huge kitchen, theatre room, lots of activities to join, and the cafe has very very reasonable backpacker prices!!

We all here at HINYC are thrilled to hear how great your stay was. Thank you for everything and we'll see you next time.

Does it really have to be a non-alcoholic hostel? The kitchen has zero atmosphere - put some music on or something.

Our hostel services a large range of guests of all ages. We do not provide alcohol on property, but provide night life activities such as comedy shows and pub crawls as forms of entertainment that encourage interaction among our guests. Thanks for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.

Heater broken in my room for first few nights, had to sleep in layers in 10 degree cold weather. Not what you pay for. Then heater kept going on every few minutes, making it hard to sleep with the stuffy heat and noise. It's such a big building that the equipment might be old, but I'd expect more than this, even for the cheap price. Hope this helps them improve.

• 5th Jan 2015

By far the best hostel I've ever stayed in and that's saying a lot. Awesome location in the city, with great facilities to sleep or even hang out in, and with an even better staff. Thanks for the good stay.

• 4th Jan 2015

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and so will the staff. We will be waiting for you again. Thank you.

Beautiful hostel in an great location for a decent price. The bad: beds are very hard, showers take a bit to warm up and were out of soap both nights I used them. The good: 5 min from metro, only 30 min on train to most of manhattan, staff was very helpful, HUGE kitchen, four big hangout areas, lots of outlets, cafe in house, group activities available daily, lovely Swedish men who talk to you into the wee hours of the morning... Oh wait, I can't guarantee that last one! Highly recommend!

Sounds like to had a great time. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We are working on replacing all the mattresses and our boiler company was working on the boiler at the time you was here. Sorry for the inconvenience and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Great Hostel, not far from the subway, you can find everything indoor the hostel, i think the most clean showers i ver had in a hostel so far, great atmosphere, dorms also very clean and organized, i was in the second floor and super friendly people, zero noise . had a very good stay

I'm glad you had a great experience all around. See you next time you in NYC. Thanks

Best hostel in NYC I've been so far. Definitely going to be my first choice if I'm going back to NYC.

Thank you. See you soon.

it looks old but indoor is different. if your breakfast included in price. you have to get a coupon. then you can get your breakfast.

Since we are located inside a landmark building, unfortunately we can't make changes on the outside of the building. Thanks for coming. See you next time.

We had a great stay.

Thank you. Come again.

Great location, just 1 block away from the subway (3 mins walk at most). Huge, spacious place with a the biggest lounge/patio that I've ever seen for a hostel. Beds are comfortable, the blanket were perfect, and the toilets were clean. Will definitely come back here again if I go to NYC in the future!

Appreciate the awesome feedback. We'll make sure we are even better next time. Thanks

Highly recommend will be back soon enough

Very much appreciated for your recommendation and already NYC is not the same without you. Hurry back. Thanks

The hostel has got elevator, although kind of slow, is definitely a plus for those who carry heavy or lots of luggage. No more free buffet breakfast which I had back in summer. The hostel always offers lots of local walking tour. One of the most well known tours is probably the 13-hour walking tour. But be prepared for roommates coming back late and drunk lol

Thank you for the great feedback. Sorry, but we have never offered free buffet. Only groups purchase the buffet prior to their arrival. Now, we have a new promotion that you can get hot breakfast included for a small cost. See you soon.

Internet acess? No.

• 18th Dec 2014

We have internet access in the computer lab on the lobby level. Sorry if you didn't see it. Next time we'll make sure you are aware of it as the staff is training on giving all our amenities. See you soon.

everything is great, and the staff is very helpful and nice. the bathroom is good and clean.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • CocoL
  • China

Thanks for the great feed back. We are missing you already. Hurry up back.