HI - New York City Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

Overall, a really good hostel with a really good location on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, close to two subway stations. It´s like New York City: huge, expensive, impersonal, but it´s a pretty nice place. The elevator ıs really slow, which gets annoying, and having to pay to use the computers is a letdown, especıally when the place is so expensive in the first place.

Liked the central parktour from Paul!

• 15th Jul 2014

It is amazing hostel.. highly recommended.. I really enjoyed my stay there .. location is more than perfect. . I met nice ppl there .. again when u will stay n NY it is the best

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Egypt

This hostel is very close to the number 1 train line which runs all the way to Times Square. The atmosphere was great and you are almost guaranteed to talk to somebody and make a new friend. They also have a lot of tours that run through the week that take you to all the different parts of the city. I would recommend Jerry's Grand Tour!

There is many reasons to stay at this hostel and the main reason is the location and that the hostel is incredible big. As you probably already know, this is a Hostelling International hostel, meaning that it's a bit higher standard and a bit more pricey. See whole review at: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d121994-r216500137-Hostelling_International_New_York-New_York_City_New_York.html

Rude staff . Avoid this place at all cost

• 4th Jul 2014
  • South Africa

I only stayed one night, so I don't really have much to say about the facilities. It was close to the subway station, and the staffs were friendly.

I would recommend my friends this hotel once they plan to visit NY. Good location, friendly staff and cleanliness

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Vietnam

a bit pricy but a wonderful hostel, one of the best i've stayed in. different walking tours everyday of the week, the free ones aren't so good but don't miss Jerrys Grand Tour, it is a must! you wont regret it $10 for a 14 hour walking tour that covers so much. groceries store around the corner, Starbucks, restaurants all nearby, Times Square a short subway ride away, Central Park is walking distance

check in at 4 is really too late , especially when you have long flight . location is a bit far from main attraction , but close to metro station

The facilities were always clean and fresh, and the free breakfast was always given. I have no complaints in regards to the service that was provided.

It would be great if there were more power points in each room and separate bed lights as in other hostels making it easier and more roommate friendly when coming in at different times.

• 23rd Jun 2014

The staff seemed confused about a lot like where we get our towels but that may be bc the place was HUGE. I was only staying 3 nights but they said I would have to switch rooms midstay. After some arguing they solved the problem. Great location right on the 1 line. Plenty bathroom space and AC. I really trust the HI brand.

• 22nd Jun 2014

Very clean hostel, which is close to the subway on the upper west side. I had a problem with air con in the middle of the night and the staff moved me room which was much appreciated.

I think that Zach and his manager on duty Patrick are horrible representatives and do your establishment a disservice.

• 22nd Jun 2014

Excellent hostel in New York City. A little way away from the things that you're probably there to see but you can walk of you're up for it or take the subway on the next block. A few local bars that decent also, particularly the Five Lamps Tavern. Receptionist very thorough and welcoming upon arrival.

• 21st Jun 2014

Aside from the security, cleanliness, and all other necessities, I truly appreciated the guided tours. I LOVED the Central Park tour by Michael -- he was awesome. Gave us the best photo shots and lots of info with some laughs. He was a good one. Good time with Max , too & really enjoyed the shows. The Pacha tour was great. Having things to do made all the difference for me. Gave me an opportunity to learn the city and make new friends. I wasn't stuck doing selfies. :)

• 19th Jun 2014

Nice hostel, good dorms (not too loud, etc.). If you want a really good cup of coffee there's a place called Birch a few blocks away.

good hostel, very social if travelling alone. close to transport and all the popular locations in new york. would definitely recommend to others.

This was a great hostel and the staff did a very good job. It was clean and safe. I really enjoyed my stay there.

• 17th Jun 2014