HI - New York City Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

Big lockers in the rooms, two power sockets for every bed, free wifi in the whole hostel, good showers with liquid soap available. It is a little bit away from the main points, but really well connected to subways, so no harm done. Also, the neighbourhood has a ton of restaurant and bars options and a very large 24h market nearby. No breakfast, but big kitchen available, nice common areas as well. It was not a great hostel, but I could not complain much besides the price, it's the price of NY

Nice hostel with plenty of organized activities.

Only stayed one night, this hostel is a non drinking hostel if you want to stay there. There is a a pub crawl so that is a way round it. The kitchen and eating area was big enough. The showers and toilets are really spread out on each floor, and it's really a long walk from the room. Check in is not till 4pm which is late..I arrived at 3.45 and my room was still not ready. Typical hi hostel but if more fun is wanted maybe look elsewhere. Rooms and lockers are good. Ok if staying for a 1 / 2 days

Great hostel, excellent facilities, bathrooms very clean, great cafe/staff/laundry, always something going on, can highly recommend Jerrys Full Day Tour, the mans a legend, 3 minute walk to subway, would definitely stay there again.

• 11th Jun 2014

The best hostel I have stayed at so far. Great facilities. We watched World Cup in their Theater with people around the world. Dorm is super clean and quiet. Bus runs right in front of the hostel and only one block away from the metro. I would like to say Thank you to them because I had hurt my toe in Boston before I came to NY and could not walk properly for a few days. The reception lent me a pair of crutches for free so I could walk around in NY. They saved my trip in NY. :)

Was a pretty ok hostel. On the plus side - there was air conditioning in the dorms and each bed had a light and power point. On the down side - the rooms smelled a bit funky and there was only one female only bathroom on the floor (the floor was quite large and I was located in the dorm furthest away from bathroom plus the floor was mainly made up of 12 bed female dorms so the bathroom got pretty busy). Note - don't buy anything from the cafe downstairs - the food seemed to sit there for days.

Although the hostel is not located in Middletown, you can get the subway line 1 straight to Downtown!

The hostel, the facilities and the rooms where good. But for me as a backpacker it was an akweird atmosphere as the hostel was crowded with kids and parents.. No visible drinking allowed, and if you for gods sake wanna share a bed, prepare to be kicked out... I would not recommend anyone wanting to meet others between 20-35 here, since ppl stay in their rooms to drink or leaves the hostel.. Not a good youth hostel for single travellers.. Nice neighbourhood, but a bit far from center sometimes...

• 5th Jun 2014
  • Norway

Great location.

Lovely hostel, in a lovely quiet area but only a few minutes on the subway to the main tourist spots of NYC. Loads of opportunities to socialise with roommates and other hostel guests and they run great day and night tours for all different tastes. Comfy and peaceful and has a lovely cafe and common areas, have stayed here twice now and will definitely come again :)

• 27th May 2014

Good location but very rude staff and prices quite expensive.

There is a lot of common rooms, the bedrooms are very comfortable and there are lots of restrooms with showers. Some of the staff are very helpful (some of them no), but they charged to my account the USD 3 per night when I had purchased the membership. I told them and they had no problem in solve this issue. The place is 3 blocks from central park and one from the subway (line 1).

The hostel was very good. It is really close to the 103 subway station ( line 1) that goes all the way down along Broadway street. The facilities are great. For me breakfast was not included as I was in an 8 female room but there is a cheap cafeterrea inside the hostel. I don't enjoy the free tour to Brooklyn as the guide guy had no idea and didn't tell us any info about the city. I loved the talent show. I met lot of people and made friends. I would return to this hostel if I cone back to NYC.

I am quite satisfied with this hostel. It is safe, you get individual lockers, staff is friendly and location is quite ok. It is located in a huge, impressive building. Bathrooms were clean and available most of the time. It is expensive - it is Manhattan, though.

missed to have bedside power sockets. bed lamps would have been great too.

No other place to stay in NY !!!

• 22nd May 2014

The staff were quite friendly and helpful, the facility nice and clean. It's very big, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on what you're looking for. This was my first hostel in North America, and I'm not sure if this is standard or not, but it was dry - no bar inside but no booze allowed inside either. Lockers cost extra if you need storage the day you leave. Lots of free tours activities. Overall a good hostel.

Loved it! Wish I could have stayed more than 2 weeks!

Expensive, but a great option given Manhattan costs in general.

Great place to stay in NY, nice people, super friendly environment, good location and great vibes

• 17th May 2014