HI - New York City Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

All was perfect :) Very polite staff, pretty comfortable accommodation. Very clean bathrooms. See you in future)

• 23rd Mar 2014
  • Russia

I have hosteled a lot in New York , and this was definitively my best stay. Great facilities, great atmosphere, and like, yeah, it's uptown, but hey it's Manhattan, square meter is really expensive. Close to subway. way close.

An excellent hostel for a bargain price. The nights out were the highlight, with there being lots of opportuntiy to meet new people. I travelled there alone, so I was pleased to find that there were many other solo travellers there too. The facilities are excellent, and the location good (right next to a subway stop). I'd recommend this hostel to anyone travelling to NY.

Awesome experience, great hostel and staff, food, and the people that I socialized with. Overall a great place to stay and would be back if I travel New York again. Well organized with pub crawls and tours of the city, I'm glad I chose HI-NewYork. cheers!

• 19th Mar 2014

Big, nice hostel in Manhattan on the Upper West Side. Very good location and reasonable price considering it is New York. Nothing to complain about the facilities, it is just a real shame that it is not allowed to drink inside the building otherwise the atmosphere would be just great.

A massive hostel that is as easily as good as any cheap hotel in New York, easy subway connection which makes it so much easier getting to the main attractions.

Everything perfect!!!

• 11th Mar 2014
  • Argentina

I'll definitely stay here again. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Really close to the subway, and they have events almost daily.

Amazingly convenient experience, I booked the same day, The bed was very clean and very comfortable and the service was impeccable. Way better than what I had expected from a hostel; specially in NY. Would definitely be back soon.

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Lebanon

Initial confusion on my reservation made via hostelworld.com meant that my group had to exchange rooms. I don't know if the error was mine or hostelworld or HINY but we did not get the room arrangements I reserved

Of all the hostels i have stayed in, this specific hostel was a bit too big in terms of the actual size of the hostel. Therefore, I personally found the hostel to be more of hotel atmosphere and where most of the guests were doing their own thing (not that there is anything wrong with it) vs the atmosphere that I'm used to (people being more social).

This was my second time staying in this hostel (first in summer 2010 and second time in February 2014). The atmosphere and standards haven't changed at all, and I was delighted with this. There's a sociable atmosphere. The rooms are very clean, and I was happy to have a reading light and socket above bed. Free wifi. There are various social events each day, winter or summer. The nearest subway (the 1 train which brings you to midtown) is only a block away.

• 13th Feb 2014

Huge hostel, clean, all facilities are there and are extremely modern, check-in staff didn't really feel like working when i arrived though. No backpackers atmosphere in the hostel

There is a wonderful kitchen.

Nice hostel but hard to meet people apart from those in your dorm. The kind of hostel to accommodate to all ages (there were a few younger school groups staying there / meetings) so if your looking for that 'party/social' hostel I wouldnt stay there. Otherwise super nice place, very clean and safe and good cafe on ground floor.

2 out of the 4 showers on level three are broken (no water or only cold water) and the free comedy was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. Not even slightly funny and the comedians were possibly the most globally ignorant people I've ever seen. If you are going to do stand up at an international hostel - tell jokes that have global appeal. The location of the hostel near the subway was great and the front desk staff were all brilliant! The cafe in the hostel was also great.

• 27th Jan 2014

Brent was really nice and helpful, and also very attractive.

I was pleasantly surprised by this place. It is a great place, I love the little coffee shop availalble around the clock. The rooms are clean and everybody very respectful. I would go back!

its a nice place to stay a couple days. I recommend this place.

• 25th Jan 2014
  • Argentina

I was very happy but would recommend you have cafe staff who know what is in their food. Both servers did not know the name of an ingredient in english that was in one of their pastas. This could be quite an issue for allergies.

• 24th Jan 2014