HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

Aweesome experience! Great location! Stayed at a private room but went through the cell halls for the complete experience. Good breakfast included! Room felt dusty, but I understand it is an old building. Overall, we enjoyed our stay!

The Jail Hostel was great. Everyone who worked there was really nice and even showed some of us around the city. The Bar "Mug Shots" in the court yard was probably the best night time club/bar spot in Ottawa. The DJ's where spinning awesome music that got everyone in the mood. I went to this hostel by my self and by the end of the first night I had met a lot of great people. I'm glad I stayed there.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Was a nice experience sleep in a jail but just for 1 night. Very good location.

Just three minutes away from Byward Market and about 10 minutes from Parliament Hill, this hostel is really well located, but before you go here, make sure you really want to sleep in a jail. In the beginning it was a bit strange for me, but the dorms are quite spacious and the beds are really big. Unfortunately, there are no lockers in some of the dorms and as far as I know there are only two showers for each gender. Breakfast is okay and concerning the fresh fruits very diversified.

Very good location and so cool to stay in a jail cell!! Original.

Absolutely loved this hostel!!! Stayed two nights in a room with 4 beds. Plenty of space, room had a kitchenette with coffee maker, kettle, and microwave which was excellent for having late night snack after a long day out in the city. Location is excellent - close to the Parliament hill, Nepean point, and many-many other great places in Ottawa!!! Also, great breakfast in the morning!!! Special thanks to the staff for keeping this place clean and being so well-organized!

• 11th Aug 2014
  • Ukraine

Loved the place and its understated atmosphere

• 8th Aug 2014

Very interesting hostel in old jail. Location is very good, atmosphere in the hostel is OK, breakfast is good, kitchen is well equiped. Tricky was only one thing. On my reservation was written that amount for pay is total (with taxes) but hostel demanded that I pay tax. It was strange because in other hostels in Canada taxes where included.

very friendly staff, jail tour was excellent and interesting.

• 6th Aug 2014

We love our night in this hostel. It's really close to center, calm and clean. We recommend it.

• 29th Jul 2014
  • Spain

Location of this hostel is great, just a few blocks off the parliament. Despite that they have a beautiful interior patio, you can only smoke outside. Beds are just terrible, horrible mattress, you can hear ALL the time when someone else moves. I was unable to sleep. They only had ONE electrical plug that was being used by other guest -so I couldn't charge my phone-. I found a cockroach in the shower. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you are drunk and you wouldn't care

• 21st Jul 2014
  • Chile

Very special atmosphere but has everything you could expect from a HI hostel. Highly recommend it!

Horrible experience. Lived in a tiny jail cell. The bar downstairs roared until 2 or 3 am. Do not feel safe in that place. This hostel really sucks.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • China

awesome breakfast and nice experiance to sleep in a jail

Look a little bit claustrophobic was fun though to sleep there

My booking was messed up because the room I booked on hostelworld wasn't actually available in the hostel. The hostel offerred me another two rooms. I chose one of the rooms and they said it wasn't available. (This was a long back and forth as we were travelling around at the time). Finally we ended up with a room with more than enough space which was good.

• 10th Jul 2014

Place was really cool and unique! However, it was extremely hot in the room we stayed in. It was on the top floor. Apart from that the stay was perfect.

• 9th Jul 2014

Nice hostel, the atmosphere is original. I was however quite disapointed by the hostel's booking system and the quality of the reception. I initially booked and paid the deposit for 2 rooms, but when we arrived, only 1 room was available. The lady at the desk barely apologized and could only suggest us extra beds in a dorm. After some confusing "explanation", we ended up paying for 1 room and beds in a dorm (with the deposit amount I initially paid not being deducted).

Enjoyed our stay and highly recommend hostel to other travelers. Central location is excellent, prison atmosphere is cool (not spooky but it makes for some neat photos), and facilities are clean and include kitchen, laundry, common room, and a bar (Mugshots, seemingly very popular not only among hostel guests). As a "warning": We had booked a "cell" and got "upgraded" into a suite with its own bathroom. While convenient, there is no "prison cell" feeling to these rooms - if that's what you want.

The hostel is in a good location in the center of town, the staff is very friendly and the rooms are very clean. The hostel itself is a rather unique and an interesting experience. Their is a possible noise issue during the night since the rooms have open air vents to a common corridor.

« first « Prev 1 2 3