HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

Staff is really friendly! Hard to climb to the upper beds but the jail atmosphere, parking and bar makes it a 100% on facilities. Would stay there again.

The staff put my reservations in for the wrong day and when so we had to switch rooms after one night because they where completely overbooked. There only about half the parking there normally is and the staffs solution to this was to tell us we could park in the parking garage across the street that costs $7 an hour. The beds where as so horrible. They needed to be replaced years ago. The men's shower was discussing. This place has a lot of potential but the staff needs a major overhaul

• 25th Jun 2015

My fiance and I went up to Ottawa for a weekend of Soccer and festivals. We saw this place online just had to experience it. It did not disappoint, great location with an really cool atmosphere which I've never experienced before. If you're staying in Ottawa you owe it to yourself to stay here at least one night.

• 20th Jun 2015

I stayed in room 609 with three other girls and after our first night there, we found a bed bug, gross! While the staff did move us into another room, we found it negligent that a)one of the girls was allowed to stay in the bug room and b)they immediately tried to place new people into the room. Poor practice despite them claiming how serious they take bed bugs. Not impressed. Would not recommend this to anyone.

Wifi was not working!!

More that most hostels, here you are at the mercy of your fellow occupants for the quality of your stay: the rooms are fine (a single is actually a tiny cell, which is "cozy" but nice) but since the doors have bars at both the top and the bottom, you can hear literally everything. Add to that the fact that the jail itself attracts visitors (tours and very very loud teenagers) who are scaring themselves with ghost stories - and it just feels very busy and not at all private.

Only stayed for a night during the Women's World Cup. The location is excellent. It's walkable form anywhere in the city you would want to go. The shower areas and bathrooms need serious updates. The breakfast was good and parking was easy. Staying in an old jail cell was actually really cool. They left the bars on the cell doors and the windows, so still feels like the real thing. Overall, the stay was pretty decent for the price.

Loved my stay. This was my first experience at a hostel, and I recommend it to everyone.

• 30th May 2015

I had a great stay at the hostel, what a creative/smart use of the historical building! it was very good experience to stay at the hostel; staff was super friendly and they were very knowledgeable about the city and were able to help with directions and etc.

• 20th May 2015
  • Russia

Thanks for the review. My staff and I are very happy you enjoyed your stay in Jail!

thus place us awesome lets start by the obvious. the place is clean showers, beds are perfect. the staff is amazing! they will make you feel at home and if you hang out with them you will also make some amazing friend. the bar is wicked and a good place to hang out. the hostel is located next to a shopping centre and some of ottawa most beautiful walks/ monuments. a 100% the best hostel ever. 😆😆😆

Thanks I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Jail!

We were there with a friend just for a night and it was fun. Not the best place for a great, long night (you can ear everything that happen in the hallway, the showers as well), but I totally recommand it ! Very clean and unusual.

Its nothing special. Not aweful but overpriced for the facilities offered. No inside hangout spaces for guests to meet. Very quiet hostel. Not ideal for solo traveler. For the first time in a hostel i was lonely.Very very small spaces. Felt kind of dingy. Wouldn't stay again.

• 17th May 2015
  • Kenya

The breakfast could be improved.

• 15th May 2015
  • Singapore

Very noisy, needed ear plugs to be able to sleep

Beware the noise. Noise in an old stone building is unavoidable. However the bar making the floors shake until 2am is. This should be a hostel with a bar attached, but it felt like the hostel residents were an after thought to the bars music (didn't help that the music was terrible). I have to add that the building is really incredible and very atmospheric place to say. And the reception staff are excellent, especially the two girls (sorry never got their names).

The hostel is very well located and has good facilities. The breakfast is good, with beagles every day, cereals, milk, coffee and juice. I stay in a 8 bed room which size was fine but it only has a small window which make the room quite dark and difficult to ventilate. The showers were very good, always with hot water. The only drawback was that I book a 4 bed room and they put me in an 8 bed room because the have overbooked.

one of the most awesome hostels I've stayed in

Understandable given the building, but I wish the wifi worked in the room/cell. Only downside I could find.

Very cool hostel, but can get pretty toasty in the rooms!

Thanks for the comment. The weather this year has been very challenging and we had to keep the heater on longer than normal because to restart it takes up to three days! We have finally turned it off and we are installing air conditioners in all the room sin the front of the building. the cells are in pretty good shape as the stone keeps the rooms pretty comfortable at night.

everything is good. but quite expensive I think...

« first « Prev 1 2 3