HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Great hostel

Good complete breakfast (something that you rarely see in hostels) Original atmosphere : Worth a visit!!!

Great place to stay, had no trouble with anything. The only downfall was the light streaming through the cell doors!

My cousin referred me to your facility. He had stayed there before and enjoyed the experience. I had fun as well. I can now tell everyone that i've been in jail!

• 27th Mar 2014

It's worth a visit, because it is a prison.

• 17th Mar 2014
  • Switzerland

The hostel itself is cool, unfortunately the guy we got had treated us like we were annoying him for even stepping through the door, first couldn't find our booking, then the price was more than quoted, then given the wrong room had to come back down change. Other staff members were amazing (maybe he just had a bad night). The hostel has cool tours, and has a very good location. You won't get much sleep as u can here everyone in the other cells. It's more about the experience in a jail.

Hi: Thanks for your comment. I am sorry that you did not have the best first experience in jail, but glad to hear that other staff made up for the errors on the first night. yes, the noise does travel on the cell floors and we are working hard to figure out how to reduce or eliminate that issue. Thanks again, Greg

Great experience, even greater breakfast and really friendly staff! Not always informed about all the announced activities (like the tour to the supreme court that does not exist in winter) but always helpful and easy to get everything such as skates for very good value to go ice skating on the canal. Can definitely be recommended!

The location is awesome. I just needed a place to sleep so the cell room was ok for me. It was clean and cozy… at least, I didn’t see spiders in the corners of the cell or had problems with bedbugs, which was my most fearful concern. Well, these comments are based on my personal experience and from a specific period of time, which was in the middle of a winter season, where few people travel. I can’t imagine how this place may be during summer season and, particularly, during Canada Day.

I had a great time! I really enjoyed the breakfast and talking to the staff. The location was also better than expected. Only thing: a picture of the single bed room should be on the webside, so that people can see how small that "room" is.

• 30th Jan 2014

I would recommend this hostel however I booked a single room online not realising it was an old single jail cell with very little room (no room next to bed). Although the staff were very accomodating and allowed me to change rooms, i think this should be made more clear when booking (ie pictures) as it may not be so easy to change rooms in high tourism season. Also it was not ideal that the bathrooms and toilets were located on a different floor, down a daark hallway at night.

• 30th Jan 2014

Séjourner à HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel est une expérience unique et originale notamment pendant l'hiver!

• 10th Jan 2014

It could not be better!!!!

This was definitely a cool hostel to stay in. How often do you get to stay in an old jail where people were executed? At times a bit creepy, but it's haunted, so you should expect that. But it gives you a new atmosphere and stories to tell. The jail tour was okay, but the person conducting the tour could have been a bit more knowledgeable. But, that being said, I know that the people leading the tour have more than one job in the hostel and that they have only so much time to run it.

Good hostel with a great location. Sleeping in an old jail gives a nice atmosphere to this hostel.

當初在網路上booking時已被尋問是否為會員,網路上也沒有特別載明會員及非會員的價格,直到現場才被告知booking價是會員價,因而另外被charge費用,讓人有受騙上當的感覺,很差!!!

Nice, friendly, helpful staff. Breakfast was simple, but good. The single bed cell's are very small (literally just a single bed that touches both walls beside you), but if you're only there to sleep it's not a big deal. I did find that it is NOT worth $35 though. Thought it was quite a rip off actually. I've stayed in hostels that were nicer and offered more space and paid less.

There should be soap and shampoo!!

• 23rd Nov 2013

I've stayed at HI Ottawa a number of times. Since they've started using the basement common room as a bar, there is a problem with bands echoing loudly ( = booming) through the building late at night. The old jail's structure is like an echo chamber upstairs in the bedrooms. I know income from bars is helpful, but 'venue' and 'bedrooms' are not always compatible. Keep up the good work of inviting feedback!

The hostel is very well located and has all it needs. Breakfast is included which is always nice. The single rooms are extremely basic. Like you open a prison grill and its just a army type bed which you cant roll off from since there's walls on both sides of the bed. And you lock your tiny cell with a big chain and padlock, prison style. That being said, I slept like a baby. And there's a bar and organized pub crawl, so its all good, I enjoyed it. However they have bikes but charge 10$ pfft

• 15th Nov 2013

Sleeping in a jail cell is certainly a unique and slightly spooky if not exactly comfortable experience! The location of the hostel is great - all major Ottawa sights are within easy walking distance. As for the hostel itself, I would say it was better than most non-HI hostels, but most other Canadian HI-hostels I have stayed at had a better atmosphere and more activities going on. Might be because I visited off season, though. I was glad I only stayed one night in my cell.