HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel

8.4
Fabulous 1777 Total Reviews

• Canada, Female, 25-30
8th Feb 2017

My sister and I stayed here for one night and thought it was so cool to be able to stay in jail. Since all the rooms were jail cells they weren't completely closed off so you were able to hear everything on that level. I didn't find this to be a problem because everyone on our floor was very respectful of this and kept noise to a minimum at night. I think this honestly just added to the spooky jail experience. The staff were all very friendly and gave great recommendations for things to do.

4th Feb 2017

Decent budget place to stay, great location and helpful staff. The breakfast was great for a hostel breakfast. The jail tour was really cool! Make sure to have a hosteling international membership though!

• Germany, Female, 25-30
1st Feb 2017
6.9

The hostel is conveniently located and offers all basic facilities. I stayed in an 8 bed dorm and the noise Level was ok. However I changed beds as my first one was about 20cm from the door. The lockers are in a tiny adjacent room, which would have been convenient to not bother others while rummaging through your stuff, but it was really too small to move around in it. Good thinking, though! Beds are typical metal bunks And a little shaky /squeaking, WiFi was pretty poor, but it's a jail..

• Canada, Female, 25-30
22nd Jan 2017

Great hostel, great staff, great location! I was going to the conference center which is right across the street, and the staff had an iron and a hair dryer to loan if needed. They were usually quick in answering my questions. Worth it to get the HI card, you even get a discount if you've had it before (cost me 20$, worth it as I was staying 3 nights and it would have cost me 5$ extra per night if I didn't have it). The HI card also gives pretty good rebates on Greyhound!

• New Zealand, Female, 25-30
21st Jan 2017
5.4

Pretty expensive - I paid over $100 for the double private room (which wasn't the advertised price) and unfriendly staff.

• Australia, Couple, 18-24
19th Jan 2017

Hostel was great, only bad thing was the WiFi wasnt the best. The free tour of the jail was very interesting and location was good.

• Canada, Mixed Group, 31-40
23rd Dec 2016

This was a great building, a unique experience, but for a purpose of a hostel, not ideal. I booked a twin private room, and although there we had our own cell, hallway light coming in from the top bars straight on my pillow made sleeping very difficult. Furthermore, no sound-proofing meant you can hear the other guests talking as if they were right next to you. No signs to let guests know to be considerate of noise, etc. Breakfast and staff were excellent though!

• Australia, Female, 18-24
21st Dec 2016

I would highly recommend this hostel. The location was great, located right in the heart of downtown Ottawa. Perfect to see all major attractions by foot. The jail itself was actually really awesome. Not at all that creepy. Overall pretty quiet stay for me as i did stay a few days before christmas. Was a greta stay especially for solo travellers

• England, Male, 25-30
19th Dec 2016
7.7

A very interesting and quirky place to stay for one night, not for a weekend. I stayed here for one night in a single jail cell. It was a fun experience, the staff were really friendly and the tour was awesome. Very close to parliament hill and tourist attractions too. However, the cell was tiny and I struggled with my big bag, my phone charger didn't even reach the bed from the socket, and the jail was quite literally designed to hear all noise so I imagine pretty loud in busy seasons.

• Australia, Couple, 18-24
17th Dec 2016

We stayed two nights in a two bed room. Amazing to be sleeping in the old cells! Great tour of the jail/hostel, would highly recommend. Breakfast was great. The first night we had dinner at the hostel, super cheap and amazing food! Over all an amazing hostel!