HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

Very noisy, needed ear plugs to be able to sleep

Beware the noise. Noise in an old stone building is unavoidable. However the bar making the floors shake until 2am is. This should be a hostel with a bar attached, but it felt like the hostel residents were an after thought to the bars music (didn't help that the music was terrible). I have to add that the building is really incredible and very atmospheric place to say. And the reception staff are excellent, especially the two girls (sorry never got their names).

The hostel is very well located and has good facilities. The breakfast is good, with beagles every day, cereals, milk, coffee and juice. I stay in a 8 bed room which size was fine but it only has a small window which make the room quite dark and difficult to ventilate. The showers were very good, always with hot water. The only drawback was that I book a 4 bed room and they put me in an 8 bed room because the have overbooked.

one of the most awesome hostels I've stayed in

Understandable given the building, but I wish the wifi worked in the room/cell. Only downside I could find.

Very cool hostel, but can get pretty toasty in the rooms!

everything is good. but quite expensive I think...

You can find my detailed review here: http://keepcalmandwander.com/jail-hostel-in-ottawa-review/

The hostel was fun because of the location and the staff was great. Breakfast was very good also. The only complaint I would have was that the mattress on my bunk - 6th floor, room 3, bed 5, was very uncomfortable.

If you want the experience of sleeping in an old prision, this is the right place to stay. The noise from outside is really a problem and the doors of the cell have entries where the light came in to oir eyesçd

Really loved it, that you. :D

Not enough (or inexistant) wifi coverage upstairs

A trully amazing place, must see for sure (even if a little expensive, but that's Ottawa ...)

I enjoyed my brief stay. Was a disappointed at whomever (female patron) who deposited her bowel contents in the toilet and plugged the toilet leaving a disgusting and gross mess and, did not bother to tell staff so they could take care of the problem.

• 30th Apr 2015

POOR Wifi condition, hard to climb to 2nd floor bed! There is only one bar to step up to the 2nd floor. The door lock system is not automatic so people in my roon rarely locked the door. Good place and good people though.

A fun, unique & sociable hostel, I recommend this place to anyone! It's very well set out and in a great location. It is important to note that noise from the party & music in the bar downstairs travels very easily to the cells upstairs, so if a peaceful night's sleep is what you're after, maybe this place isn't for you (however they do have earplugs available at reception). If that doesn't worry you, then do yourself a favour and stay here.

Very poor wfi in room in bed dont work and excelent location people on the desko gloor very good )

We loved the Ottawa Jail hostel, the building is full of character, and our room was warm, spacious, comfortable and cheap! Our only complaint was the mysterious banging of the pipes in the middle of the night (I guess that explains the ear plugs that were provided in our room). Also the shower is okay if you like showering under a hose. At least the water was hot and the bathroom was clean :)

Pros: They staff were great at every opportunity, hugely helpful and friendly going above and beyond the required. I can't credit them enough. The hostel is well managed and organised. It's clean and you'll get a decent breakfast, adequate but not amazing. The hostel looks great on the inside and I enjoyed the novelty of a jail/hostel. Cons: I found the cells smaller than I'd expected and they got quite hot at night and the WiFi wasnt great from the cell, it's perfect everywhere else though.

• 13th Apr 2015

Just booking it!! It was just perfect hostel that i ever been before!!! Just awesome!!