HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

This is certainly a unique hostel! Spending a night in a jail cell is a very cool experience. The free jail tour was also great. The hostel is a bus ride from the train station and walking distance to all the sites. Breakfast was very good, and the staff were helpful. I stayed in a single cell and while it was fun I probably wouldn't want to do it for more than a couple of nights. Also a shame the bar is closed.

No AC, understanding it is a hostel but at least a wall fan in the cell would do the job in cooling the oven hot air Corners of the bed was dirty and seems never vacuumed under matress not to mention the matress was old and flat. Pellow was too thin and had to sleep on my arm to keep it up to the desired hight to be comfortable . May not visit again

• 28th Jul 2015

in the hot summer temperatures, it was stinking hot in the rooms, very uncomfortable.

The hostel is clean, comfortable and situated in a good location. However, the atmosphere was appalling and the entire hostel was in near absolute silence for the whole of my 4 day stay. As a lone traveller, this made it very hard to meet people. The hostel bar is no longer running at all - I feel that this is something that they should publicise - apparently it has been closed for a number of weeks now and it will not reopen.

Hotel was in a great location. Basic breakfast provided. Rooms were good but sound travels quite a bit. Only bad point were the bathroom facilities - female showers were two floors down and quite basic.

Room too small price expensive

Biggest problem: The bar is closed! It really is a total bummer, I had heard so much about that place from reviews and friends in Ottawa that I was really looking forward to it. Now there is nowhere to drink at the hostel and really not much of a social vibe or place to casually relax and meet people. The location and facilities are great and the Jail concept is neat too. The staff is also lovely, but the lack of a bar/social gathering space would make me reconsider returning.

A unique experience but the novelty defintely wears off after more than two nights - you can hear a pin drop at night and the cells were stuffy. You also pay for the novelty - the rooms are expensive compared to other hostels in Canada, and value for money is not that great when you take into account the size of the rooms and the facilities available.

My only complaint about this place is the noise. I stayed in one of the solitary confinement single rooms. Since only the middle part of the original cell room bars have been blocked, most everything can be heard due to the exposed top and bottom of the door. I didn't mind this really - after all, this came as part of the hostel's charm. And, I soon found out during the hostel's free daily tour of the jail, the building was originally designed to project sounds.

Well, we started with a little booking challenge since I arrived with no ID. It all worked ok in a calm manner, and I learned by lesson. The staff knew the rules of checking in guests and followed them and called the manager for assistance. The staff was always courteous and kind.

• 13th Jul 2015

this hostel is really good but there is no elevator even that building is about 5stories

• 12th Jul 2015
  • South Korea

Really cool to stay in a jail cell, though once the novelty wears off, it's a slightly strange environment. Would recommend one or two nights here. Staff friendly and helpful.

I HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE.

• 7th Jul 2015

asome place. good breakfast and coffee

A single cell really is a single cell - a bed and thats it! It was still nice to have my own space after lots of dorm rooms. I slept well but I definitely recommend earplugs as the doors don't keep any noise out at all. It was a great location for walking to lots of Ottawa's attractions.

Could have used a shelf in the 2 bunk room similar to the shelf in the single bunk room. Should have provided a duvet cover and storage area for it when temperature is too warm to use. Otherwise, interesting and good place to stay. Bar was a little loud for early sleepers.

• 1st Jul 2015

Staff is really friendly! Hard to climb to the upper beds but the jail atmosphere, parking and bar makes it a 100% on facilities. Would stay there again.

The staff put my reservations in for the wrong day and when so we had to switch rooms after one night because they where completely overbooked. There only about half the parking there normally is and the staffs solution to this was to tell us we could park in the parking garage across the street that costs $7 an hour. The beds where as so horrible. They needed to be replaced years ago. The men's shower was discussing. This place has a lot of potential but the staff needs a major overhaul

• 25th Jun 2015

Brilliant place to live. Some disturbance due to ignorant travellers playing loud music at night (should have carried ear plugs). Decent breakfast and awesome location.

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • India

Great location and atmosphere. The staff was amazing, friendly and helpful. During my stay there was a problem with the lock on my room- the locksmith changed the lock but left without making enough keys. The staff went above and beyond to fix the situation and went out of their way to make sure that we weren't affected by the mistake. Noise does carry very easily through the building which might be a problem if you are a light sleeper or easily spooked. For me, it added to the atmosphere!

• 20th Jun 2015