HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

It's a former prison. Single rooms are former prison cells for one person. A stay here sure makes you appreciate your freedom quite a bit more. Needless to say, security is flawless. Staff is very nice, the place is clean enough and the rooms offer good value for money. All in all a unique experience. Wouldn't have missed it!

• 23rd Oct 2014

Excellent location, very interesting experience, but it was hard to sleep at night. The door was left open at the top and the bottom (with iron bars), so light from the hallway still came through to the bedroom at night, and it is quite noisy outside. The jail tour was informative and interesting. It was nice to stay for the experience but personally I think the place is a bit depressing.

BED BUGS BED BUGS BED BUGS

• 20th Oct 2014

To sleep in a hostel that was a jail in the past was awesome!

staff were really nice and always ready for helping~^_^ Love them~

The breakfast was fantastic: eggs, bagels, fruit - most hostels, including HI's charge for that! I had a pretty good experience but was told by the people that stayed in the 'cells' that it was really loud and cramped in there. I wasn't given a choice of what kind of room I wanted but could have probably switched if I'd known an actual cell was an option.

Horrible horrible one, OMG, I will never step in ever again! Dirty pillow, around 30 people waiting for a single washroom, staff not helping, noisy during the night. I mean terribly noisy!!!!!!!!!!!! Some construction wake me up 3 o'clock in the morning, 4 o'clock again, and then the traffic come you will be awake for a whole F night. Worst ever! If you interested in jail, come to visit. Stay here only if you want to commit a crime, it will be a warning for you.

• 15th Oct 2014
  • China

Rooms for a single person are too small and it was hard to breath...

• 15th Oct 2014

Guests where not talkative so didnt create a great atmosphere - even a simple hello seemed like hard work :-( big shame. Jail tour was interesting. Breakfast was very simple and not much available the two times we went. Room was clean but paid for a private deluxe but nothing deluxe about it, standard room and very small. Good location.

• 12th Oct 2014

I came to the hostel and the special jail cell that I was supposed to sleep in had been booked out, so they gave me an 8 bed dorm for myself, which I think was a really fair gesture. The hostel was great, clean, awesome people, kitchen facilities and in a perfect location! Would definitely recommend this hostel!!

Calm n quiet place. Excellent combination of morning breakfast. Nearby big market place n bus stoppages. Exciting places Canada's proud Parliament, Rideau canal. Nearby site seeing tour location. Overall marvelous, I love it.

Although the staff are very friendly and helpful, the beds are not comfortable and I found it difficult to fall asleep.

• 4th Oct 2014

The one-bed cells caused me to become claustrophobic for the first time in my life, i.e. wall, bed, wall , 4 ft., door. They then gave me a 2 bed room with more space and the rest of my stay was fun

• 29th Sep 2014

good location

I was in a private room which was spacious. The others from my tour stayed in the dorm cells which were pretty claustrophobic.

Nice hostel, unique atmosphere, do the jail tour! Not good for people who believe in ghosts - really, 3 people were hanged there. Was in a 4 bed room (not cell). There was no wifi up there. Only in other floors or stairs. The washrooms where plenty, i had not to wait. Breakfast was ok. The city is very close. 10 minutes to parliament hill. Right on the other side of the street is a shopping mall with a lot of food options. No evelator. I would come again

Everything was so so... but only two shower booths for a number of girls and... it smelled bad also

Hostel for all age group.Marvelous location with excellent and cordial staff including all facilities.I loved the surrounding environment.I liked the menus of lovely breakfast. I wished to visit again.

Great atmosphere ,staff lovely

I chose to ignore the reviews saying the bar gets crazy loud at night and I definitely regretted it. You could hear EVERYTHING. Even when you were 6 floors up. That being said, the fact it used to be a jail was super cool and the staff was very friendly. And it was in a pretty good location. It's a solidly okay place.

• 13th Sep 2014