HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

Hotel was in a great location. Basic breakfast provided. Rooms were good but sound travels quite a bit. Only bad point were the bathroom facilities - female showers were two floors down and quite basic.

Biggest problem: The bar is closed! It really is a total bummer, I had heard so much about that place from reviews and friends in Ottawa that I was really looking forward to it. Now there is nowhere to drink at the hostel and really not much of a social vibe or place to casually relax and meet people. The location and facilities are great and the Jail concept is neat too. The staff is also lovely, but the lack of a bar/social gathering space would make me reconsider returning.

My only complaint about this place is the noise. I stayed in one of the solitary confinement single rooms. Since only the middle part of the original cell room bars have been blocked, most everything can be heard due to the exposed top and bottom of the door. I didn't mind this really - after all, this came as part of the hostel's charm. And, I soon found out during the hostel's free daily tour of the jail, the building was originally designed to project sounds.

Well, we started with a little booking challenge since I arrived with no ID. It all worked ok in a calm manner, and I learned by lesson. The staff knew the rules of checking in guests and followed them and called the manager for assistance. The staff was always courteous and kind.

• 13th Jul 2015

this hostel is really good but there is no elevator even that building is about 5stories

• 12th Jul 2015
  • South Korea

Really cool to stay in a jail cell, though once the novelty wears off, it's a slightly strange environment. Would recommend one or two nights here. Staff friendly and helpful.

I HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE.

• 7th Jul 2015

asome place. good breakfast and coffee

A single cell really is a single cell - a bed and thats it! It was still nice to have my own space after lots of dorm rooms. I slept well but I definitely recommend earplugs as the doors don't keep any noise out at all. It was a great location for walking to lots of Ottawa's attractions.

Could have used a shelf in the 2 bunk room similar to the shelf in the single bunk room. Should have provided a duvet cover and storage area for it when temperature is too warm to use. Otherwise, interesting and good place to stay. Bar was a little loud for early sleepers.

• 1st Jul 2015

Staff is really friendly! Hard to climb to the upper beds but the jail atmosphere, parking and bar makes it a 100% on facilities. Would stay there again.

The staff put my reservations in for the wrong day and when so we had to switch rooms after one night because they where completely overbooked. There only about half the parking there normally is and the staffs solution to this was to tell us we could park in the parking garage across the street that costs $7 an hour. The beds where as so horrible. They needed to be replaced years ago. The men's shower was discussing. This place has a lot of potential but the staff needs a major overhaul

• 25th Jun 2015

Brilliant place to live. Some disturbance due to ignorant travellers playing loud music at night (should have carried ear plugs). Decent breakfast and awesome location.

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • India

Great location and atmosphere. The staff was amazing, friendly and helpful. During my stay there was a problem with the lock on my room- the locksmith changed the lock but left without making enough keys. The staff went above and beyond to fix the situation and went out of their way to make sure that we weren't affected by the mistake. Noise does carry very easily through the building which might be a problem if you are a light sleeper or easily spooked. For me, it added to the atmosphere!

• 20th Jun 2015

My fiance and I went up to Ottawa for a weekend of Soccer and festivals. We saw this place online just had to experience it. It did not disappoint, great location with an really cool atmosphere which I've never experienced before. If you're staying in Ottawa you owe it to yourself to stay here at least one night.

• 20th Jun 2015

Great location, even tho there's not much to do in Ottawa. The night staff guy was the most pleasant when I had to ask him to cut my lock off my locker at 5am, as I was leaving, made me feel like "why are you asking to do this for you now?" The free jail tour and daily activities are a bonus!. Hostel might be haunted tho!

I stayed in room 609 with three other girls and after our first night there, we found a bed bug, gross! While the staff did move us into another room, we found it negligent that a)one of the girls was allowed to stay in the bug room and b)they immediately tried to place new people into the room. Poor practice despite them claiming how serious they take bed bugs. Not impressed. Would not recommend this to anyone.

Wifi was not working!!

More that most hostels, here you are at the mercy of your fellow occupants for the quality of your stay: the rooms are fine (a single is actually a tiny cell, which is "cozy" but nice) but since the doors have bars at both the top and the bottom, you can hear literally everything. Add to that the fact that the jail itself attracts visitors (tours and very very loud teenagers) who are scaring themselves with ghost stories - and it just feels very busy and not at all private.

Only stayed for a night during the Women's World Cup. The location is excellent. It's walkable form anywhere in the city you would want to go. The shower areas and bathrooms need serious updates. The breakfast was good and parking was easy. Staying in an old jail cell was actually really cool. They left the bars on the cell doors and the windows, so still feels like the real thing. Overall, the stay was pretty decent for the price.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4