HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

The water in the showers was not hot enough, it was -20* outside and literally every shower I had was luke warm. They should also enforce a quiet time policy, the staff wouldn't ask guests be be quiet when they came home from the bar and as a result the guys in the next room were literally screaming from 230-5pm! The 6 person dorm is too small for 6, 4 would be more suitable OH and I was staying in a female room and they put in a man without asking us if we were comfortable with that.

The staff is super friendly and I love the bar in the basement.

• 20th Feb 2015

Wifi doesn't work in the upper floors. Showers and bed OK. Individual cells very small.

There's no bed sack, which made me not that comfortable. The washroom is clean. Location is great.

• 18th Feb 2015
  • China

It was an adventure for me. The location what made me stay there, I had only 24 hours and I wanted to see a lot. The staff is very friendly. Val

• 17th Feb 2015

One of the coolest and spookiest hostels I ever stayed! Very nice staff! The rooms are just a little bit small.

The staff were amazing and breakfast was great however there was only hot water in one of the mens showers and the band playing at night is heard clearly through the whole hostel, also noisy ticking thermostat and the open bars separating rooms meant that it is very noisy. Too costly for the lack of privacy.

Thank you for your hospitality. I like the Jail Hostel.

• 8th Dec 2014
  • Japan

it's winter, but the water was not warm enough. It was absolutely the worst shower time in this winter.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • China

For a hostel the dorm beds are way too expensive - nearly $40 for a non member is unjust. and why would I join when there are only 3-4 hostel international locations and all the others miles from anywhere I will visit anytime soon.

• 28th Nov 2014

Hi Phil: Thanks for your reply. I am sorry that you felt we were too expensive for your tastes but please remember we work hard to provide good value such as the delicious breakfast served daily with locally baked bagels, fresh fruits, boiled eggs, cereals, coffee, tea's and juices every day. Plus there is also the complimentary orientation tour of our heritage building and we are located in the heart of downtown. How often can you tell people you were in jail and laugh about it?

I would prefer to stay here on my next trip to Ottawa rather than any hotel. I ain't afraid of no ghost

Hi and thanks for your note. We look forward to seeing you again. Greg - GM

Crazy that it was a prison. Liked it all including the movie they played. What sucked and it was very minor was we were told about the movie night and the vegan chili yet when we went to get some apparently the staff ate the last bit of it.

• 16th Nov 2014

Thanks for your feedback. Too bad you did not get to sample the chili. Kyle has just started serving it in the hostel and it has proven to be more popular than he thought. So now he is making more, so next time you are here, there will be some available. Greg - GM

5 min walk from the parliement, very clran and secure. We were there on mondey and thuesday in november so there was bot so many people, but im sure the atmosphere is better in the wknd ot the summer. Staff´s also very friendly 😉

Thanks. My staff will be glad to hear your feedback. Greg - GM

Everything was good except for the noise which came from other rooms. I had to wear the earplugs so that I could sleep.

Great atmosphere, awesome to think there were prisoners there once! Nice to have breakfast included. Great location. We were unfortunate to have very noisy cell neighbours though...

• 15th Nov 2014

The included breakfast was over expectations. Hostelbreakfasts to me are toast, butter and jam but here they had bagels and cereals and fruit and stuff! When i was there (november 14) it was pretty empty so everything was very quiet. I can imagine during high season it can get pretty loud in the dorms. The building is constructed so that every s the cells (now dorms) will be heard throughout the floor

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Sweden

Thanks for your comments. Yes the Jail is built to convey sound, so sometimes it can get loud on the cell floors. To help guests sleep, we do offer complimentary ear plugs at the front desk. Greg - GM

The breakfast could be better with more fresh fruits. Pancakes is a good idea too.

• 7th Nov 2014

+ Nice location, only a couple of minutes from the Parliament! - The room was very very noisy as the doors consist partly of gate, hence they are never fully closed. As soon as someone made noise in the hallway in the middle of the night, the whole room was awake.. - Staff could be more considerate. 10 minutes after buying a hockey ticket at the front desk, they announced that they lowered the price by 5$.. Would have been nice if they had mentioned that when we bought the ticket..

• 7th Nov 2014

Amazing place!! with a nice atmosphere...was awsome slept on Jail Hostel!!

• 5th Nov 2014

Everything was perfect except that private rooms had no floor space and the single bed was completely enclosed by 3 walls --- this is not a hotel for anyone who is claustrophobic ...

« first « Prev 1 2 3