HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

Pros: They staff were great at every opportunity, hugely helpful and friendly going above and beyond the required. I can't credit them enough. The hostel is well managed and organised. It's clean and you'll get a decent breakfast, adequate but not amazing. The hostel looks great on the inside and I enjoyed the novelty of a jail/hostel. Cons: I found the cells smaller than I'd expected and they got quite hot at night and the WiFi wasnt great from the cell, it's perfect everywhere else though.

• 13th Apr 2015

Just booking it!! It was just perfect hostel that i ever been before!!! Just awesome!!

The employees were very helpful and knowledgeable about the area ( Jeff was very kind to keep our bags due to arriving too early while we explored the area)

nice experience especially the room for 6 is big enough not to feel in Jail ;-)

Really cool hostel - the showers are very nice and the beds comfy. However the cells are very warm and with poor air circulation. It was low season when I went so I can't comment on the atmosphere usually bit it was very quiet.

The staff are actually incredible! They are friendly and very helpful. Really impressed. There is a locked room behind reception where you can leave belongings during the day, which was a life saver for me, with my violin and all. In my dorm (female 4 bed), the window is not sound proof by any means, so don't let some weird sounding creaky noises freak you out, like I did :P WiFi was best on the 7th floor.

This old jail is definitely worth a visit. For the hostels lack of amenities it's a bit overpriced, though. I didn't even have one of those cells but a normal room. It was more comfortable, but not the experience I expected. The building itself is spooky and I totally enjoyed the hostel's free jail tour at 11am.

Traveled all over Asia. Would have liked more shelves in the shower area. The rack in 405 was not completely screwed into the wall. Otherwise it was good value for money in Canada. Please post the non-member price though, it is deceiving. The price quoted on Hostel World is only for members of some hostel organization, not for regular guests.

You're litteraly sleeping in a prisoner's cell here. It's great atmosphere but very narrow in the rooms. That's not a negative point but you should know.

It's very cheap and I enjoy it. But the room I lived was next to the washroom, guys took shower morning made noise and I can not sleep late.

• 11th Mar 2015
  • China

I loved the hostel! The location was great, staff was friendly, and the place felt clean and safe. The only annoying thing was the radiator which made an unbelievable racket each night. Fortunately I had earplugs, which cancelled out the noise. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to sleep. Really cool hostel, though, and I really enjoyed my stay!

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • Norway

The water in the showers was not hot enough, it was -20* outside and literally every shower I had was luke warm. They should also enforce a quiet time policy, the staff wouldn't ask guests be be quiet when they came home from the bar and as a result the guys in the next room were literally screaming from 230-5pm! The 6 person dorm is too small for 6, 4 would be more suitable OH and I was staying in a female room and they put in a man without asking us if we were comfortable with that.

The staff is super friendly and I love the bar in the basement.

• 20th Feb 2015

Wifi doesn't work in the upper floors. Showers and bed OK. Individual cells very small.

There's no bed sack, which made me not that comfortable. The washroom is clean. Location is great.

• 18th Feb 2015
  • China

It was an adventure for me. The location what made me stay there, I had only 24 hours and I wanted to see a lot. The staff is very friendly. Val

• 17th Feb 2015

One of the coolest and spookiest hostels I ever stayed! Very nice staff! The rooms are just a little bit small.

The staff were amazing and breakfast was great however there was only hot water in one of the mens showers and the band playing at night is heard clearly through the whole hostel, also noisy ticking thermostat and the open bars separating rooms meant that it is very noisy. Too costly for the lack of privacy.

Thank you for your hospitality. I like the Jail Hostel.

• 8th Dec 2014
  • Japan

it's winter, but the water was not warm enough. It was absolutely the worst shower time in this winter.

• 6th Dec 2014